Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Rooney

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
I feel sorry for him really.

He's "carrying the weight of the nation" and all that. Which is a bit of a bugger really.

But what are the press hoping for? This week, it's almost as if they are hoping he boils over in the WC, so they have their scapegoat. Let's face it, he got away with things in 2006 because of Ronaldo's wink - this time he's probably not going to be so lucky.

He's been ranked alongside Messi and Ronaldo. But who by? Granted, he's had a brilliant season, but is he really "best in the world" material, or is he just a brilliant footballer domestically? I'm not so sure. Who would you rather bank on to score a one on one, Rooney or Torres?

I just get the feeling that if we don't get to the semi finals and if he isn't banging them in from the start, he's going to get the blame from the press and the public. The hype surrounding him is a bit too much. Yes, he's our best player, but we shouldn't be expecting him to deliver world class performances in every game, should we?

Just me?

Nothing to do with you being a Man U fan? :yawn:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I thought the workhorses actually did their jobs tonight - Heskey, Barry, Terry, Carragher, even James.

It was our "star players" who were dreadful - Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I thought the workhorses actually did their jobs tonight - Heskey, Barry, Terry, Carragher, even James.

It was our "star players" who were dreadful - Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard.

Spot on. Barry did his job to a tee and this should have freed Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney. At least Gerrard looked like he was trying though.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Spot on. Barry did his job to a tee and this should have freed Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney. At least Gerrard looked like he was trying though.

Pretty much agree with that - although Gerrard was still turd but gets bonus point for looking interested

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mentality was bizarre. We looked either disinterested or SHIT scared, I can't tell which it was.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have to say, I am usually a very positive England supporter, but I genuinely cannot remember a worse performance than this in a competitive game in the last 10 years for England, can anyone name one?

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
I have to say, I am usually a very positive England supporter, but I genuinely cannot remember a worse performance than this in a competitive game in the last 10 years for England, can anyone name one?

This last game at Wembley under Keegan when we lost 1-0 and the 2-0 defeat away to Croatia were pretty dire, but at least we were up against decent sides.

The defeat away to Norway under Taylor has to be the worse performance I can remember, but tonight was pretty close.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I just get the feeling that if we don't get to the semi finals and if he isn't banging them in from the start, he's going to get the blame from the press and the public. The hype surrounding him is a bit too much. Yes, he's our best player, but we shouldn't be expecting him to deliver world class performances in every game, should we?

Well, I hate to say I told you so :nono:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
He didnt even look club class.

Half of being world class is being able to handle pressure, he clearly cant. But When he goes back to banging in goals against Blackbool the press will call him world class again.

Agreed.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The thing is we all know Rooney's played shit in this tournament but England NEED him and it is down to the manager to get the best out of him.

Prior to 2010 Rooney had done well under Cappello, and we all saw how Rooney played in Euro 2004 and has played in Europe for Man Utd since.

I totally buy the arguments to drop Lampard, Terry, Gerrard and others but I think dropping Rooney would be going too far.

There is still hope. Hargreaves, Adam Johnson, Huddlestone, a more experienced Milner, Walcott, Dawson, Hart, Rodwell etc. I think Rooney will still do OK for England.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Well, I hate to say I told you so :nono:

And your quote doesn't quite describe the situation completely. He will get pilloried in the press because he deserves it. He wasn't just not performing - he was shite. He's taken all the plaudits and believed all his own hype.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He won't be pilloried. Despite this marking his second world cup without a goal. So many of our players under performed, and he hadn't scored since his injury v bayern the press will go light on him.

In fact, I'm struggling to see any one player who performed so badly he stood out as worse than the rest of the team. The criticism will be shared by most of the players, and Capello will probably get criticism for not playing rooney up front with gerrard behind him (even though the last time he did that it was a disaster), and for some of his substitution and team selection choices (but even these seemed to have some sense to most people beforehand, it's just hindsight that let's us know).

Rooney will be fine.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Wayne Rooney, overated twat who cannot perform on the big stage, hopefully he'll be dropped for the Euro's...

One of the World's best players?... Ha ha ha... MY f***ing ARSE!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
He had a shit tournament but I'm not going to abuse him, same as all the other players. They were all (A. Cole and James apart) terrible, Wayne dosen't deserve to be singled out

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Ok, time for one of those ridiculous "I know someone who knows someone who knows something" stories.
I know someone who's sister manages a hotel in the smoke, & Rooney was at it with some hookers there prior to leaving for SA. The story may come out soon, it may be bollocks, but that's what I got told before the Slovenia game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here