Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wayne Bridge...

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
I wouldn't call it patchwork as such, we're lacking in the Left back position and another striker and CM may be an idea but I'd say overall we have a good squad

I'd say your defence is somewhat more depleted than just a left back if you wish to kick on from this season. Bridcutt is the glue of the team, so losing him would be a disaster. You already have a hell of a lot of money invested in the striker position, so to need another one is a bit of a worry.

I guess the quality of the squad is dependent on expectations. It seemingly didn't meet those of your manager's, but I wonder what are the fans'? I guess by patch work I meant that Gus favoured a number of perhaps short term solutions in key areas. I feel Brighton face some challenges in retaining the quality of last season's squad let alone improving upon it.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
I'd say your defence is somewhat more depleted than just a left back if you wish to kick on from this season. Bridcutt is the glue of the team, so losing him would be a disaster. You already have a hell of a lot of money invested in the striker position, so to need another one is a bit of a worry.

I guess the quality of the squad is dependent on expectations. It seemingly didn't meet those of your manager's, but I wonder what are the fans'? I guess by patch work I meant that Gus favoured a number of perhaps short term solutions in key areas. I feel Brighton face some challenges in retaining the quality of last season's squad let alone improving upon it.

Seriously mate - don't worry too much on our behalf. I would imagine being the weakest team to ever grace the Premier League would be of greater concern at the mo. Must be some good debates on the BBS you can join in with?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

We had a very good defence before Upson joined so assuming El Abd signs up again (which seems likely), we will only be lacking a left back from the defence that was the third best in the league when Upson joined. I assume we will look to sign a left back and a centre back but we can survive with what we have got centrally at first. Dunk will hopefully come back into the squad now that his trial is over too.

In terms of strikers, CMS and Hoskins both look set to miss the start of the season so we may well need another striker. If all were fit, then Ulloa, CMS, Barnes and Hoskins would be fine.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
Seriously mate - don't worry too much on our behalf. I would imagine being the weakest team to ever grace the Premier League would be of greater concern at the mo. Must be some good debates on the BBS you can join in with?

I am under no illusion that Palace face a very tough task. I have no intention of points scoring.(open goal for you there)

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Upson is pretty likely to sign, El-Abd will definitely sign a new contract, Greer's staying and now Dunk has his trial out the way he could start challenging for a place so at centre back we're fine. Admittedly Bruno and Calderon are getting on a bit but they should be good for at least a few more years so really, apart from the obvious left back problem, our back four is looking good for next season. I agree losing Bridcutt would be catastrophic so I'm not even going to try and imagine what we would do without him! CMS and Hoskins (though he has had terrible luck with injuries) haven't really worked as we would have hoped so I would prefer us to cut our losses and bring someone else in to compliment Ulloa and Barnes.

With regards with what you've asked about expectations, personally I'd have been happy with 6th at the start of last season so 4th was something of a surprise.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield

Leave him be Gripper, it's nice actually to be able to talk sensibly with a Palace fan for once

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
well, like it or not, it's cost you almost £5 million to replace him in transfer fees alone, and both players' goals combined since he left don't come close. It will take CMS three seasons to catch up with Murray's last season's tally on its own.

How the **** have we "spent nearly £5 million to replace glenda"?????

Ulloa is twice the player Murray is, and younger to boot. Cms is a totally different type of front man. 3 seasons getting 12 a season compared to 6-30-0.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Leave him be Gripper, it's nice actually to be able to talk sensibly with a Palace fan for once

Fair enough. I'm just not buying it! It's smugness gone mad. A little view of his anti Albion stance on the BBS will prove my point. Having said that he does seem like a proper football fan and is well informed.

I'm on the fence!

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Fair enough. I'm just not buying it! It's smugness gone mad. A little view of his anti Albion stance on the BBS will prove my point. Having said that he does seem like a proper football fan and is well informed.

I'm on the fence!

I think BBS is the wrong place to look for pro-Albion stances don't you think :thumbsup:

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013

I'm on the fence!
I'm not anti Albion, as you would know if you spoke with some of the more reasoned Brighton fans on the BBS. However, I do cross pork swords in a cartoonish manner with those whose deluded ramblings deserve it. I have said on numerous occasions that I sincerely wish prosperity upon both our clubs, which is more than I'm offered by many in return :)

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
How the **** have we "spent nearly £5 million to replace glenda"?????

Ulloa is twice the player Murray is, and younger to boot. Cms is a totally different type of front man. 3 seasons getting 12 a season compared to 6-30-0.

CMS was signed for circa £2.5m to replace Murray. Even before his injury, due to the disappointing return on his investment, Gus was forced into buying another player for roughly the same value. He may turn out to be better than Murray, or he may turn out to be worse than CMS. After all, the Aryan God himself was proclaimed to be 'twice the player' of the northern Moody misery guts upon his arrival. At this stage, Ulloa is still unproven, Murray is not.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
Upson is pretty likely to sign, El-Abd will definitely sign a new contract, Greer's staying and now Dunk has his trial out the way he could start challenging for a place so at centre back we're fine. Admittedly Bruno and Calderon are getting on a bit but they should be good for at least a few more years so really, apart from the obvious left back problem, our back four is looking good for next season. I agree losing Bridcutt would be catastrophic so I'm not even going to try and imagine what we would do without him! CMS and Hoskins (though he has had terrible luck with injuries) haven't really worked as we would have hoped so I would prefer us to cut our losses and bring someone else in to compliment Ulloa and Barnes.

With regards with what you've asked about expectations, personally I'd have been happy with 6th at the start of last season so 4th was something of a surprise.
I didn't realise Upson is likely to sign. I though he was in a similar boat to Wayne Bridge. That, and retaining Bridcutt would be a definite boost, but how likely is it until the managerial situation is resolved?

Though you were pleased with last year, my question was more if 4th place has raised expectations of promotion? It is an interesting question with regards to squad building, given the expectations of the manager which appeared to light the touchpaper.

In that context, losing out on Bridge could be a source of conflict between fans with high expectations and those content with a club prioritising a more sustainable model.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
CMS was signed for circa £2.5m to replace Murray. Even before his injury, due to the disappointing return on his investment, Gus was forced into buying another player for roughly the same value. He may turn out to be better than Murray, or he may turn out to be worse than CMS. After all, the Aryan God himself was proclaimed to be 'twice the player' of the northern Moody misery guts upon his arrival. At this stage, Ulloa is still unproven, Murray is not.

Hmmm 11 goals since feb when he started playing would suggest Ulloa is in fact more than decent at this level. Remind me, how many did glenda get in the whole of his 1st season.... 6 wasn't it? Gus has been after Ulloa since this time 2 years ago so Gus wasn't "forced" into buying anyone to replace cms - he was in fact bought to play WITH cms. You carry on spouting your uninformed rubbish, quite sad that you feel the need to wave your cock about on a rivals forum really.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I didn't realise Upson is likely to sign. I though he was in a similar boat to Wayne Bridge. That, and retaining Bridcutt would be a definite boost, but how likely is it until the managerial situation is resolved?

Though you were pleased with last year, my question was more if 4th place has raised expectations of promotion? It is an interesting question with regards to squad building, given the expectations of the manager which appeared to light the touchpaper.

In that context, losing out on Bridge could be a source of conflict between fans with high expectations and those content with a club prioritising a more sustainable model.

A lot of it is all dependant on what happens with Gus or our next manager but by the accounts of those who have met him, Uppers has been enjoying himself down here and now he's a free agent I reckon we could sign him up. He's older than Bridge and was most likely on smaller wages so he'd be a more realistic target than Bridge was. I think deep down most knew he wasn't likely to stay as much as we wanted him to. I think 4th place did cause quite a bit of hype amongst the fans and we got a bit carried away with ourselves. Right now with all the uncertainty with Gus, I don't think anyone can have a good idea of where we're going to end up next season. All will be a lot clearer once Gus is either reinstated or sacked and then it will become clearer. In an ideal world we would expect another promotion challenge next season but the suspension changes everything.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
Hmmm 11 goals since feb when he started playing would suggest Ulloa is in fact more than decent at this level. Remind me, how many did glenda get in the whole of his 1st season.... 6 wasn't it? Gus has been after Ulloa since this time 2 years ago so Gus wasn't "forced" into buying anyone to replace cms - he was in fact bought to play WITH cms. You carry on spouting your uninformed rubbish, quite sad that you feel the need to wave your cock about on a rivals forum really.
Very strange language. Uninformed, or merely unbiased? Had CMS been banging them in like he was bought to do so, I personally doubt Gus would have spent another couple of million on another striker. Especially within the context of the transfer rumours surrounding CMS at the time, and him being placed on the bench shortly after Ulloa was signed.

And for merely stating that half a decent season in the Championship does not offer undisputed proof that a player is twice as good as one who scored thirty in the same division I am accused of waving my cock about. How lamentable.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Very strange language. Uninformed, or merely unbiased? Had CMS been banging them in like he was bought to do so, I personally doubt Gus would have spent another couple of million on another striker. Especially within the context of the transfer rumours surrounding CMS at the time, and him being placed on the bench shortly after Ulloa was signed.

And for merely stating that half a decent season in the Championship does not offer undisputed proof that a player is twice as good as one who scored thirty in the same division I am accused of waving my cock about. How lamentable.

Listen to yourself. I doubt you are as pompous an ass as you post on here, at least I hope you are not for those that know you. I suggest you give it a break.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I refuse to read any more of this new palarse fans forum----------DO NOT ENGAGE IN ANY DIALOGUE with the trolls------they are just on a wind up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here