Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watford

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How have they gone from being relegation scrappers to promotion hopefuls and doing it in style? I know they have an unknown and untested manager who seems to have worked a miracle. Was this done with a big cash injection, an excellent youth team, clever signings or a combination of all of these things? I am staggered to see them riding so high and stuffing Sheffield United, especially as they had McCammon on trial last week!

I had them down as relegation favourites at the start of the season :rolleyes:

Anyone know anything about them?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
They have been very lucky. They had a good basis to the team and have spent over £1m on some very astute signings.

I wouldn't rule them out snatching the last automatic place.

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Elton John gave them £3 million at the start of the season and said it had to all be spent on transfers. He raised the money from a concert at the ground. If only we had a chairman with the same ambitions. :nono:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
bhafc4eva said:
Elton John gave them £3 million at the start of the season and said it had to all be spent on transfers. He raised the money from a concert at the ground. If only we had a chairman with the same ambitions. :nono:

I can't imagine Dick raising £3m by belting out Crocodile Rock or Blue Eyes....On second thoughts......

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
bhafc4eva said:

Can't see Dick Knight doing a sell out concert at Withdean and even if he did I suspect the local NIMBYs would get a court order to stop it thanks to the noise.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
BarrelofFun said:
I can't imagine Dick raising £3m by belting out Crocodile Rock or Blue Eyes....On second thoughts......

Mr Cook could give it a try. ???

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They've spent a bundle haven't they? It's not rocket science really - just sign a load of players proven at this level (like we did to get out of Division Three) and have well organised management.

I think we'd be there or thereabouts too if we had a million to spend.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
mcshane in the 79th said:
But this would only cost him an evening, he could take any money to cover costs and then leave us with the profits :clap2:

I think the season we got relegated he said he was not going to be giving us anymore money until Falmer. Cant remember where i read that so i am prob wrong!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
trueblue said:
They've spent a bundle haven't they? It's not rocket science really - just sign a load of players proven at this level (like we did to get out of Division Three) and have well organised management.

But are they all proven at this level or should I say were thay all proven, as they obviously are now. Which ones were obvious quality pre season?

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
bhaexpress said:
I suspect the local NIMBYs would get a court order to stop it thanks to the noise.

Doesn't that just sum it up.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
They have a VERY clever manager.

triptolemus

Oct 7, 2003
bhafc4eva said:

I'm not sure this is true. I believe the money went to the Buy-Back-the-Vic campaign - to repurchase the lease on the Vicarage Road Ground. Watford were hugely in debt and going to the wall three seasons ago. Elton John doesn't bankroll them anymore, not at the level he used to at least. Their revival has not been about money, more about the chairman and the choice of Aidy Boothroyd as manager.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The only money Watford had to spend was that of the transfer of Helguson to Fulham, luckily they have a very good manager who spent it wisely.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I've asked them for their secret on their board. Perhaps we could learn something.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
dougdeep said:
I've asked them for their secret on their board. Perhaps we could learn something.

As Trigger and Rougvie have pointed out, it's Aidy Boothroyd and the players he has brought in.

Getting Marlon King scoring again is a BIG coup for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here