Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watford are the best team I've seen at the Amex this season

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Don't think Cardiff outplayed us. They were as good as us. But agree Watford were the most threatening when they went forward. That's what makes it so frustrating though. Watford were the best team i've seen here but they didn't outplay us.

I agree - Cardiff (first home game of the season) didnt outplay us at all. That was a deserved 0-0 draw.

However, up until two games ago, Id have said we werent getting the results our performances merited... but suddenly in the last two games, v Millwall and tonight, weve been deservedly 2 goals down. We got out of jail v Millwall, didnt deserve to. So for me, Watford are the best side weve seen at Amex, followed by Millwall (apart from their negative cheating pretending to be injured tactics...which Watford only resorted to briefly)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Watford looked decent, but were made to look decent by a lacklustre, slow and uncommitted team, with no scary striker.
More pace, more commitment and and end product.
The ball in the friggin net.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I said on another thread we bossed the game for the first 15 minutes and if we had a goalscorer we could have easily won the three points during that period

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
Ridiculous. Something needs to be done about the loan rules.

Of the loanees, I thought Chalobah looked the most impressive. He was running the game in midfield.

I agree, so why didn't we put someone on him to man mark him out of the game second half, it was so bleedin obvious.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I said on another thread we bossed the game for the first 15 minutes and if we had a goalscorer we could have easily won the three points during that period

Actually this has happened in quite a few games. Two or three really good opportunities in the first 15mins....... skied, dragged wide, or tamely straight at the keeper. :(

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I didn't think Watford were all THAT hot. But they did know how to play for each other and how to attack on the ground and on the break with a clear purpose and incisive threat on goal. Unlike ourselves who relied on LuaLua working wonders on one wing and Bruno sort of filling in on the other wing and CMS just bloody TOILING all over the place to little effect. We'd like to play like Watford but we're currently well short of that particular mark.

otk

~(.)(.)~
May 15, 2007
Leg out of the bed
Watford were a bit like Leeds. Players comfortable on the ball in all positions, and the ability to move it quickly and with purpose. We seem to have a fair amount of flair in most positions, but the sum of the parts fails to make a whole

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I didn't think Watford were all THAT hot. But they did know how to play for each other and how to attack on the ground and on the break with a clear purpose and incisive threat on goal. Unlike ourselves who relied on LuaLua working wonders on one wing and Bruno sort of filling in on the other wing and CMS just bloody TOILING all over the place to little effect. We'd like to play like Watford but we're currently well short of that particular mark.

Agree with most of that we were dire making them look a lot better than perhaps they really are.

luke_golden

Dec 29, 2012
Watford fan here - nice to read so many positive comments regarding the way we played tonight and a change - on the most part - from the usual bitterness towards us regarding the loans.

I think I speak for a large portion of Watford fans when I say how happy and lucky we are to have been taken over by the Pozzo family - they've given us players who are on a whole different level to those we're used to signing and seeing play for our club, whilst the stability they've brought on the financial side is a welcome relief. We're no longer forced to flog anybody with a sniff of potential for peanuts - think Buckley and Sordell last year.

Unsurprisingly, the influx of loan players has caused a controversy and the moniker "Udinese B" is understandable - if not a little unfair. By all accounts, those players on loan are now our players - those deemed good enough are expected to sign permanently this January, while those who have failed to hit the expected heights will go back to Udinese. The Pozzo family are business people first and foremost, attracted to our club by the prospect of the Premier League money. Those who claim we're nothing more than a finishing school for Udinese are conveniently ignoring the fact that reaching the Premier League means a lot of money. Considering the Pozzo model is based on making money, it seems unlikely to me that they'd do anything other than use the resources they have available to get us into the Premier League - and have us stay there once up.

Of course - and again not unexpected - there have been rumblings from most clubs regarding "losing our identity, losing our soul". I don't think this could be more wrong - our identity has always been to be a club punching above our weight - and this respect, we're continuing this trend. Others may point to our tradition of developing youth - again a number of academy graduates have made an impact this season - none more so than Tommie Hoban who was imperious tonight. As is the case with most clubs - if you're good enough, you'll play. Further to this, pretty much every single player we signed from Udinese has continually shown how happy they are to be here, whilst displaying a genuine passion for the club both on and off the field - through their performances on the pitch and their appearances at community/club events for kids and fans alike.

Happy to debate further and perhaps try to straighten out some of the misconceptions about our club this season for those who have them. I'll finish by saying how thankful we are to have been taken over by the Pozzo family - people with experience in football and a model for success based on a massive scouting network and player sales - rather than becoming the play thing of an Arab billionaire or suffering another chancer like our previous owner - who has just been charged by the football league over his illicit operating.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Chalobah was f***ing brilliant tonight. It helped that he was given the freedom of midfield but you've still got to do the business. He was always looking for the ball and making himself available for a pass. Very impressive.

It will be interesting to see if Chelsea take him to the next level.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
25 goals in the last 9 games seemly

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Watford fan here - nice to read so many positive comments regarding the way we played tonight and a change - on the most part - from the usual bitterness towards us regarding the loans.

I think I speak for a large portion of Watford fans when I say how happy and lucky we are to have been taken over by the Pozzo family - they've given us players who are on a whole different level to those we're used to signing and seeing play for our club, whilst the stability they've brought on the financial side is a welcome relief. We're no longer forced to flog anybody with a sniff of potential for peanuts - think Buckley and Sordell last year.

Unsurprisingly, the influx of loan players has caused a controversy and the moniker "Udinese B" is understandable - if not a little unfair. By all accounts, those players on loan are now our players - those deemed good enough are expected to sign permanently this January, while those who have failed to hit the expected heights will go back to Udinese. The Pozzo family are business people first and foremost, attracted to our club by the prospect of the Premier League money. Those who claim we're nothing more than a finishing school for Udinese are conveniently ignoring the fact that reaching the Premier League means a lot of money. Considering the Pozzo model is based on making money, it seems unlikely to me that they'd do anything other than use the resources they have available to get us into the Premier League - and have us stay there once up.

Of course - and again not unexpected - there have been rumblings from most clubs regarding "losing our identity, losing our soul". I don't think this could be more wrong - our identity has always been to be a club punching above our weight - and this respect, we're continuing this trend. Others may point to our tradition of developing youth - again a number of academy graduates have made an impact this season - none more so than Tommie Hoban who was imperious tonight. As is the case with most clubs - if you're good enough, you'll play. Further to this, pretty much every single player we signed from Udinese has continually shown how happy they are to be here, whilst displaying a genuine passion for the club both on and off the field - through their performances on the pitch and their appearances at community/club events for kids and fans alike.

Happy to debate further and perhaps try to straighten out some of the misconceptions about our club this season for those who have them. I'll finish by saying how thankful we are to have been taken over by the Pozzo family - people with experience in football and a model for success based on a massive scouting network and player sales - rather than becoming the play thing of an Arab billionaire or suffering another chancer like our previous owner - who has just been charged by the football league over his illicit operating.

Thanks for the explanation. How long have you been supporting Watford, Luke?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
If Watford are not in the Prem next season i will be amazed. They play the right way, none of that negative sideways shit like us. The number 20 should not be playing in the championship, great player

Agreed the number twenty was class throughout even taking his two goals out of the equation.

Pixelated Penguin

Jul 5, 2011
Neuton (on loan from Udinese) Pudil (Granada), Vydra (Udinese), Anya (Granada), Abdi (Udinese), Giejo (Sub, on loan from Udinese), Bia (on load from Standard Liege), Battocchio (Udinese), Chalobah (On loan from Chelsea) Forestieri (unused sub from Udinese).

Ten loan players, two unused subs.
Which ever way you look at it they were better than us.

genre b. good

Oct 22, 2012
Must be a bit concerning to support a club that is now in existence just to give experience to Udinese players. I would hate it if that ever happened to us.

Exactly, their fans seem to love it though. It strikes me that Watford's history and heritage is being completely disregarded as they become a glorified reserve team/experiment for some foreign owners

It sits fairly uncomfortably with me, doesn't seem too far removed from what happened to Wimbledon, Blackburn, Cardiff, etc

EDIT/ Posted that before I noticed the Watford fans post. I still think there is a strong hint of them losing their soul. Like you say, the Pozzo family are business people with no real affection for Watford. Football clubs aren't historically easily to make money from in the long term, and I'm not convinced there is a positive outcome for Watford at the end of this. Watford aren't likely to ever have the squad or fanbase/infrastructure to really compete in the premiership and a business model based around yo-yoing seems doomed to fail. If Watford reach the Premiership, then I'm not convinced that Udinese/Granada/Watford have a large enough cohort of sufficient calibre players to maintain three competitive teams.

Not that I'd wish that on any club, especially not one like Watford.

Anyway, tonight: fans seemed a good laugh on the train up, team played nice football.

Last edited:

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Very impressed with Watford. Compact and passing team. Have to say as well...one of the best teams to visit The Amex this season.

Have to say as well, they're fans were top notch as well...had a good chat with a couple of fans and they could only be complimentary about their weekend in Brighton.
I think they're song they were singing at the station waiting for their station sums up this thread 'we sign who we want, we sign who we want...' At least Zola can see talent..!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We got found out. It is not as though we played badly, about average, but some of our players got found out. This puts Watford ahead of other teams as no other team exposed our weaknesses quite so badly.

I would not find playing them in the play-offs though, because it is only a remote chance we will reach them, and they played better than they usually do.

They bossed the midfield for most of the game and not many teams do that. I think that was because we were too hurried trying to score.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here