Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Waterproof stuff that stays waterproof

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’ve been walking in a pair of Aigle wellies for a few years now, comfy and totally waterproof. Wouldn’t go hiking in them or climb a mountain, but a 4 or 5 mile jaunt along the downs is just fine.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Depends on the occasion

1727697126723.jpeg

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I use Paramo jkts ( used by the military) - being a birdwatcher/surveyor I spend hours ( or used to) out in the field often in heavy torrential rain.

Can’t fault them - completely waterproof- breathable - warm - windproof - and don’t rustle!

Edit - remember to put them in a washing cycle with nikwax to re-waterproof them every 12mnths.

https://www.foothills.uk.com/paramo-waterproof-jackets-and-trousers-100-c.asp

I also have a Musto jkt again highly recommended and used by the sailing profession - not as high tech as Paramo but still very high performance and quarter of the cost if budget is a concern

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A Barbour Beacon?! :love: :love: :love:

The Holy Grail for all discerning Barbour owners :bowdown:

I watch Skyfall just to see that jacket.
Ha!

I got it years ago. It was actullay one of the cheaper Barbour jackets as it didn’t really sell very well at all.

Then Bond wore it in Skyfall.

I paid £100 for it. Now it goes for £400 - £600.

*smug grin*

It doesn’t get worn that often though. Most days I wear my much cheaper Game wax jacket which I got for £50 which is beaten up and worn but my favourite “getting about” coat. Big pockets for keys, pen knife and coinage.

Last edited:

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, SportPursuit is an excellent site.

Rab is one of the brands they have at the moment. Musto too - not sure if they're any good or not.

This Rab jacket caught the eye. Pricy - and it's worth checking prices elsewhere - but you'd hope it would do the job - https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/3841887

I'm going to try the Nikwax route first though.
I've had a Musto coat for years and it is still keeping out heavy rain. As said before, they are designed for yachting so functional rather than good looking. No the lightest but I don't get overly hot so still pretty breathable. They have an outlet down at Gunwharf Quays so you can get some decent deals there

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I play a fair bit of golf and IMHO the key to a good waterproof is "teflon". Mine keeps all the wind out and the rain just bounces off it, like a non-stick saucepan!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

bristo

Apr 8, 2010
East Preston
You can if you buy Stance socks 😉
Another vote for Stance socks here. Look forward to a couple of pairs every Christmas.
One of the best waterproof coats I have was £25 in Aldi during ‘fishing‘ week some years ago. Totally waterproof, wind proof, scotchguarded, reinforced areas, padded and a peaked detachable hood. May be too warm for hiking though!

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Wash the jacket you've got in Nikwax rather than buying a new one first I'd say, if that fails, then look at spending out on a new one.

I need a decent set of waterproof over trousers for dog walking duties, my latest coat is from Decathlon and that's dealt perfectly well with whatever has been thrown at it for the last year.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Recently purchased new HH trail runners. First time I’ve bought their footwear.

Look solid and come recommended but they are a bugger to get on as they have a tighter foot-hole than most trainers. A bit painful to get on first time.

IMG_3426.jpeg

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
My winter outdoor gear (mainly for shooting/picking up) are a mix of Harkila (expensive) and Deerhunter (not so expensive).
General wet weather in warmer days I use Mountain Warehouse stuff, pretty cheap, especially in their almost weekly sales and pretty much as good as the majority of the more expensive brands. Tend to have a decent one, and one emergency older one somewhere in the car, usually at the bottom of the dog crate. Only issue are the pockets are built for hands way smaller than mine!

Boots: Menidl all the way.
Wellies: Muckboot (fat calves :oops:). If they'd fit I'd go for Aigle. Avoid Hunter and Le Chemau, fashion over quality!!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Helikon make some great stuff. Suppliers to the Polish military, this stuff is used regularly on Arctic expeditions and by Arctic researchers. Obviously the fleeces etc.

They also do great waterproof jackets and outer shells.

They do a lot of stuff very well indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here