Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Waterproof stuff that stays waterproof

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Worked on trawlers and tried loads of so called waterproof tosh,the only thing I ever found that was 100% waterproof was a hooded oilskin smock,bone dry 👍
And absolutely perfect for getting lashed by salt waves and howling wind.

Probably not great for hiking or climbing?

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Try treating them with Nikwax before buying new…….has worked extremely well on my fishing clothing.

Another thumb up for Nikwax from me too - works well I find (though nothing ever quite compares to the first wear of waterproof gear, which is a thing of beauty)

Sussex-based too, as I pass what I assume is their HQ on the way to Scotney Castle.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
You need wellies. Forget your fancy Goretex boots - water still goes down the top. Save the Goretex for over-trousers and jacket. Over-trousers overlap your wellies, jacket overlaps your over trousers and you are then 100% waterproof.

On the subject of wellies, regardless of how much you pay for the fancy brands, they only ever last 12-18 months if you're using them every day in the winter. 10 pound Dunlops are the way to go. At the first sign of a wet foot chuck 'em out and replace.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
@Bozza
Same as you, out walking dogs several times a day and looked into this same thing last year.

Because our Climate has changed, and wanted something I could layer up underneath if cold. But most time just a Tshirt is fine even in Winter it’s so mild these days.

Was sick to death of manufacturers still making Artic like wear when a walk on the downs in December is often still 16 degrees; but pissing down; and loads of lighter “rainwear” is anything but.

The solution?

The brand “Rain”, do excellent light weight breathable unisex cover your bum coats that are truly water proof. In a world where most aren’t.

Plus they’re not too expensive.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Having worked outdoors for many years, in a wet area of the country - and now with colleagues who do that work for me; I can safely say that the only true waterproof stuff is that which does not breathe. Anything that lets moisture/air out will, sooner or later, let the moisture in.

We have had Patagonia, Berghaus, Paramo and recently Columbia. Avoid the last if you want to stay dry - it's more like fashion wear.

Paramo are very very good and although we are now not meant to wear them as they have 'old logos' on them - it's what I choose if goig out in proper weather. The best jacket I have ever had was an old quite long Berghaus. I still wear it 20 years after getting it. It is fantastic forthings like site visits when you're stading around and looking at stuff - but if you want to go for a walk up a hill, you'll be damp from the inside.

Berghaus also make great waterproof overtrousers - especially the double skinned ones on the knees. But pricey.

The only waterproof footwear are wellies. Anything else will eventually let the water in if you are out all day in wet grass / Lake District bog - but Meindle leather & gore-tex boots are excellent and last longer than most before seeping through.

My Dad had a yellow sou-wester. That always kept him dry! But again, completely unbreathable.

The best thing for daily use is to have two. So one should always generally be dry to put on. I have on occasion taken two jackets to work to change at lunchtime.

HOKA Anacapa 2 mid boots. Gore tex and I regularly spray. Never been breached by rain nor the deepest puddle. Best boots I have EVER had

Classic wax jacket. Can’t beat them in the wind or rain. But for proper weather I go for a Helikon patriot fleece with a Helly Hanson outer coat. You’d survive any weather in that combo. Genuinely.

Peter storm fleece lines waterproof trousers. Double sealed at the seams. Never met any water in.

Waterproof boonie hat.

Neck gaitor. Keeps wind and rain out of the neck area. Game changer.

I’ve got a lovely old man style wax jacket I’ve had nearly ten years now, does the trick. No bloody hood though…
Wax Jackets. Fabulous to wear, and brilliant for things like hedgelaying as they protect you from the the thorns - and as The Clamp says, excellent in the wind. But, a full morning in rain, and it will come in through the shoulders no matter how well made or waxed they are. I guess it all depends upon what we mean by 'rain'.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
On the subject of wellies, regardless of how much you pay for the fancy brands, they only ever last 12-18 months if you're using them every day in the winter. 10 pound Dunlops are the way to go. At the first sign of a wet foot chuck 'em out and replace.
Will second this. I bought a pair of Hunter wellies and they lasted a winter.

Now just get rigger boots from screwfix. They last, completely waterproof and fleece lined so toasty warm. Got two years use out of the last pair and only chucked them out as the fleece lining had gone completely and they were a pain to get on and off, they were still completely waterproof.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The solution?

The brand “Rain”, do excellent light weight breathable unisex cover your bum coats that are truly water proof. In a world where most aren’t.

Plus they’re not too expensive.
According to their website, putting on their clothing makes one as miserable as sin

1727691080241.png

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Great products but on the pricey side. I've a Microlight jacket and aside from looking smart the weight to warmth ratio is great. The only negative is that being high quality down you do need a waterproof on top if it's serious rain.
Yes, some products are very expensive indeed. It's certainly horses for courses and there are many options of layering up.
If unluckily you do get your down jacket wet, then usually a tumble dry, as soon as possible (with a clean trainer to bash it around a bit) will save it!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Yes, some products are very expensive indeed. It's certainly horses for courses and there are many options of layering up.
If unluckily you do get your down jacket wet, then usually a tumble dry, as soon as possible (with a clean trainer to bash it around a bit) will save it!
Clean trainer? Surely you mean clean tennis ball or one of those spiked dryer balls?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
A Barbour Ashby (in Olive. obviously). A beautifully tailored fit, plus - you can send it back to Barbour once a year for re-proofing and any running repairs.

Wouldn't be without mine :love:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A Barbour Ashby (in Olive. obviously). A beautifully tailored fit, plus - you can send it back to Barbour once a year for re-proofing and any running repairs.

Wouldn't be without mine :love:
I have a Barbour Beacon and do the same.

I’ve been to the Barbour factory / workshop

Always a huge rail of jackets awaiting restoration and re-waxing.

W3 BHA

Nov 16, 2009
No mention of Galvin Green so far. I appreciate it's a golf brand and a little expensive but entirely worth it. I've had mine 13 years and it's never let a drop through, including two rounds in two days last week in as bad conditions as I can ever remember - 36 holes/8 hours of non stop downpour:rolleyes:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
No mention of Galvin Green so far. I appreciate it's a golf brand and a little expensive but entirely worth it. I've had mine 13 years and it's never let a drop through, including two rounds in two days last week in as bad conditions as I can ever remember - 36 holes/8 hours of non stop downpour:rolleyes:
They make exceptionally good socks as well......can't imagine they are that waterproof though.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I have a Barbour Beacon and do the same.

I’ve been to the Barbour factory / workshop

Always a huge rail of jackets awaiting restoration and re-waxing.
A Barbour Beacon?! :love: :love: :love:

The Holy Grail for all discerning Barbour owners :bowdown:

I watch Skyfall just to see that jacket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here