Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Waterproof stuff that stays waterproof

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Helly Hansen the best I've owned. 8 years on and still going strong in all weathers, and I'm far too lazy to get into waxing. The Norwegians know their stuff (see also Berghaus)
Ironically the best I've ever had is a charity shop bought pac-a-mac, non-breathable but totally waterproof, lightweight material. Best £4 I ever spent, sadly left on a train last year and I'm still not over it, scoured the internet for a like replacement with no joy.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I bought a Fjallraven Greenland Jacket a few years ago and its very durable, if it starts to lose its Waterproofing you can iron some wax in to it and its as good as new. https://www.fjallraven.com/uk/en-gb/men/jackets/winter-jackets/greenland-winter-jacket-m/

I re-waxed it and used it as my main jacket on a winter trip to Iceland a couple of years ago and it performed great.

I have had the same issues as you with other allegedly waterproof clothing (even the expensive stuff), and waterproofing spray and cleaner has never worked when I have tried it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
HOKA Anacapa 2 mid boots. Gore tex and I regularly spray. Never been breached by rain nor the deepest puddle. Best boots I have EVER had

Classic wax jacket. Can’t beat them in the wind or rain. But for proper weather I go for a Helikon patriot fleece with a Helly Hanson outer coat. You’d survive any weather in that combo. Genuinely.

Peter storm fleece lines waterproof trousers. Double sealed at the seams. Never met any water in.

Waterproof boonie hat.

Neck gaitor. Keeps wind and rain out of the neck area. Game changer.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
IMG_3386.jpeg

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’ve got a lovely old man style wax jacket I’ve had nearly ten years now, does the trick. No bloody hood though…

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This time last year I had a similar query, but without the South Downs ultra running. After lots of research including on Which? I bought:

Didrikson waterproof. It’s amazing, 100% of the rain just falls off it and its breathable.

Timberland boots. I bought a pair with Primaloft lining, for surviving -20c in Lapland. Also great, waterproof.

[Which? rate Cotton Traders as the best < £100 waterproofs].

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve got a lovely old man style wax jacket I’ve had nearly ten years now, does the trick. No bloody hood though…
I love a wax jacket. My latest one has a hood but I ha done before that didn’t.

I got a hood with poppers online and took it to a seamstress who married the two.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Been looking at arcteryx stuff. I like the look of it but don’t know anyone that uses their stuff.

Is it worth the money?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I love a wax jacket. My latest one has a hood but I ha done before that didn’t.

I got a hood with poppers online and took it to a seamstress who married the two.
I am going to do this, hadn’t even thought of it! Thanks!

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I've had Meindl walking boots for a couple of years. Not cheap but really good, wax them twice a year and always dry feet even through streams
They are one, if not the best. My Meindl shooting boots are 12 years in, and with proper attention as you say with waxing etc, they have only leaked once, and thats when I walked into a deeper part of a stream than I thought it was.
Apparently though, with some of the more recent versions of the same boot, folk aren't seeing the same durability/longevity!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I remember Nikwax when it was wax. It was a really good product in those days,, so it's good to see the more modern sprays being recommended on here.

Alternatively, and if the dog crosses its legs, only go walking when it's not raining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here