Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Waterproof stuff that stays waterproof

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This morning I took the first great soaking of the 2024/25 shit weather for dog-walking season, and discovered that my wet weather gear from last season, which largely did a great job, seems to have lost much of its waterproofness.

My jacket is a Nike Storm-FIT ADV that was initially bought as a winter football-attending jacket but was so good at keeping the rain out, that I used it as my sog-walking jacket all last winter.

My trousers are a pretty decent Berghaus pair I bought last autumn that, again, seemed to get me through the winter whilst keeping me dry.

I know I need new walking boots - my last pair of Gore-tex boots started leaking after a few months so I sent them back. I'm currently using a pair of Salomon Gore-tex. trail-running shoes that have been great for wet dewy mornings, and rain too, but won't cut it as the downland puddles get deeper.

So - what have you got that has lasted a decent amount of time? Being out with the dog three times a day, it needs to stay dry on the inside, as there's nothing worse than having to put stuff on that's still wet from the previous dog walk, or even the previous day.

Or is there some sort of magic spray that will make all my existing stuff better again and save me a load of money?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Try treating them with Nikwax before buying new…….has worked extremely well on my fishing clothing.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Try treating them with Nikwax before buying new…….has worked extremely well on my fishing clothing.

Won't the retailer object?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This morning I took the first great soaking of the 2024/25 shit weather for dog-walking season, and discovered that my wet weather gear from last season, which largely did a great job, seems to have lost much of its waterproofness.

My jacket is a Nike Storm-FIT ADV that was initially bought as a winter football-attending jacket but was so good at keeping the rain out, that I used it as my sog-walking jacket all last winter.

My trousers are a pretty decent Berghaus pair I bought last autumn that, again, seemed to get me through the winter whilst keeping me dry.

I know I need new walking boots - my last pair of Gore-tex boots started leaking after a few months so I sent them back. I'm currently using a pair of Salomon Gore-tex. trail-running shoes that have been great for wet dewy mornings, and rain too, but won't cut it as the downland puddles get deeper.

So - what have you got that has lasted a decent amount of time? Being out with the dog three times a day, it needs to stay dry on the inside, as there's nothing worse than having to put stuff on that's still wet from the previous dog walk, or even the previous day.

Or is there some sort of magic spray that will make all my existing stuff better again and save me a load of money?
I’ve just got back from a shortened walk. The Mountain Warehouse waterproof trousers I got for a walking holiday two years ago are still absolutely brilliant but my bang average rain jacket failed miserably. I’ll be keeping an eye on jacket recommendations.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I’ve just got back from a shortened walk. The Mountain Warehouse waterproof trousers I got for a walking holiday two years ago are still absolutely brilliant but my bang average rain jacket failed miserably. I’ll be keeping an eye on jacket recommendations.
Likewise - it was supposed to be an hour but I phoned it in and we were back in about 40 minutes.

Utterly grim.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Yes, waterproof clothing is complicated stuff!
The longest, durable I've had is a Patagonia goretex Jacket, another was a RAB Event jacket. Event is like goretex but a bit more breathable.
Usually the clammy, damp inside is from poor breathability - on very wet days even the best goretex jacket will struggle to breathe all perspiration out.
It's critical that the outer fabric is still water repellent so that rain will 'bead' on it rather than soaking into the outer layer (as the latter inhibits breathability.)

Graingers have good products, so I'd give that a shot. It could fix the water repellency for another year👍.

Good luck.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I have a RAB Downpour jacket and stay dry. If it's cold and wet I'll layer up under with a RAB Microlite Alpine Down. This combo has served me well over many years living in the mountains and now as a lemming commuting into London.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Unsurprisingly performance improves with price 😬. E g.
1.Arc'teryx, Patagonia at the very high end.
2.Mountain Hardware, RAB, Mountain Equipment in the high mid.
3.Berghaus, Spray Way low mid
4.Mountain Warehouse, Regatta lower end

Patagonia had the longest lifespan for me, but my Berghaus jacket was quite acceptable and I'm happy with my current Spray way.
For dog walking in UK, try and get a longer jacket (Berghaus used to do one 🤔) or you'll need decent waterproof trousers too. In my experience I never needed top of the range waterproof trousers...my Berghaus were fine.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I put my phone in two (unused) poo bags when dog walking in the rain…… if that helps?

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I have an old rubberised rain coat with a hood that my dad bought in the 1980s. I last wore it at Albion v Fulham in February. I stayed dry, but the pockets filled with water. It's not got a label on it but there's a duck's head logo on the pocket. It's totally unbreathable.

Ms BC worked in an outdoor apparel shop until recently and they recommend reproofing with Nikwax. This explains the water repellency and breathability ratings used by companies.

Last edited:

SkirlieWirlie

Jan 6, 2024

Second this. Highly rated and recommended by some manufacturers for reproofing water resistant gear. Even used it on a fleece to make that water resistant to mist and light rain. Need to follow the instructions implicitly though to make sure it works effectively.

Grizz

NSC Patron
Jul 5, 2003
My Haglöfs Roc GTX raincoat has been one of my best buys for a long time. Bought it about 3 years ago for £150 in a 50% off sale and it's tackled everything the weather has thrown at it. It's amazing what a good raincoat/windproof jacket can do, certainly feel a lot warmer in it than I ever did in my old Berghaus.

HyperTony

May 20, 2023
I've always used SportsPursuit for outdoor gear. Always have different sales on. You need to sign up, get spammed daily with email offers but i've bought quite few things over the years at good prices. I have a Fjern "puffer puffer", light, toasty, excellent waterproof, lovely lined hand pocket thingies. Perfect for lovely lumpy chicken wraps.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've always used SportsPursuit for outdoor gear. Always have different sales on. You need to sign up, get spammed daily with email offers but i've bought quite few things over the years at good prices. I have a Fjern "puffer puffer", light, toasty, excellent waterproof, lovely lined hand pocket thingies. Perfect for lovely lumpy chicken wraps.
Yeah, SportPursuit is an excellent site.

Rab is one of the brands they have at the moment. Musto too - not sure if they're any good or not.

This Rab jacket caught the eye. Pricy - and it's worth checking prices elsewhere - but you'd hope it would do the job - https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/3841887

I'm going to try the Nikwax route first though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here