Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Water Usage in the South East: Is this legal?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
tedebear said:
A girl at Mother and Baby group is a childminder and she has three britax first class SI's across the back of her Mondeo (I think its a 54 reg?) - we have one too, they are big but they do fit.... with one of them rear facing...

I got the water info from the Southern Water web site - not sure where you are though...

Southern Water

I wasn't trying to be mean - just for your info...

We're not under a ban at our house, that is at my mothers and is a Thames Water house.

If only my boy was still small enough to fit in a first class! The First Class is about 49cm I think from outside edge to edge, Cals seat is that just for the bit where his bum goes. It's huge.

And as he least protected of the three he will have to travel in the middle position and there is no way you will get his seat in the middle and then two seats (one FF and one RF) outboard. I wish though! I'd swap in a heart beat if I could.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Desalianation is not a viable option as it is more environmentally unfriendly than setting fire to oil wells.

the problem is you will always get someone who basically doesn't give a f*** about being sensible towards their fellow man " I will use my hose pipe so f***ing what". We all know, there is a drought on...just go to Ardingly Reservior and see the water level. However, everyone blames the leaks. OK fine, Southern water ( or whatever they call themselves now) have applied to replace all the water pipes in the North laines area and all the shop keepers and householders are up in arms because of the disruption this will cause. Water companies cannot win.

When we lived in SA, it was accepted that during the summer months, there would be no rain and in winter precious little, but everyone accepted this and got on with it. No-one used hose pipes, pools were filled and water which was then recycled ( chlorine stuffs the water anyway) There was none of this...I dont give a f*** attitude prevalent over here.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
But you will be the first to moan if you get fined for breaking the ban.

I'm not doing anything to break the ban. I don't use a hosepipe, I however I also have a front a back lawn and lots of plants that I'd rather didn't die so I use the watering can a lot. Apparently that's selfish.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
BarrelofFun said:
The average 3 bedroom house is hit by 120,000 litres of water a year. Water butts are the answer to those who have room, and they are very affordable.

It's a real pisser for me this! I share my main drainpipe with my neigbour and it empties in his garden not mine. The drain is higher than my garden too so I'd be able to run a hosepipe off it quite nicely!

:angry:

Gardens prefer rainwater to tap water too, I'd prefer it even if their wasn't a drought on. What REALLY annoys me though is my house is less than 3 years old and yet water butts were not implemented in it's design.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Starry said:
We're not under a ban at our house, that is at my mothers and is a Thames Water house.

If only my boy was still small enough to fit in a first class! The First Class is about 49cm I think from outside edge to edge, Cals seat is that just for the bit where his bum goes. It's huge.

And as he least protected of the three he will have to travel in the middle position and there is no way you will get his seat in the middle and then two seats (one FF and one RF) outboard. I wish though! I'd swap in a heart beat if I could.

Ahh I thought you were in Southern Water area...okey dokes!!

With the three across though its still bloody difficult to get the middle kid out in any car!! :lol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think Southern water should give them away free!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lammy said:
It's a real pisser for me this! I share my main drainpipe with my neigbour and it empties in his garden not mine. The drain is higher than my garden too so I'd be able to run a hosepipe off it quite nicely!

:angry:

Gardens prefer rainwater to tap water too, I'd prefer it even if their wasn't a drought on. What REALLY annoys me though is my house is less than 3 years old and yet water butts were not implemented in it's design.

That is crazy. Perhaps they didn't forsee this problem. Or perhaps more liekely, the developers were cutting costs and didn't want to have to incorporate them. :angry:

Shame that you lose the rain water. You could attempt to change the angles of your gutter and attach a new downpipe on the other side of your house. I think that would be fairly cheap to do.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Uncle Buck said:
Buying a water butt would be an idea.

Got one, it's empty coz there's been so little rain. Might get another one for my other drainpipe though. Maybe I'll write to the water company and ask them to give me one if they really want me to save water.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Uncle Buck said:
As I said above, SW are generally selling them at cost at present.

I know you did...I am not blind

I just said they should give them away free...at least then the tight arses or " I can't give a f***...." brigade have no excuse when they are delivered to their doors

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Water butt, £35 from Southern Water.
Six to eight weeks delivery. Summer will be bloody over by then :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here