Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Water Usage in the South East: Is this legal?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Adriodinho said:
I have just come in to ask you that my neighbours are using water for a newly landscaped level lawn.

The lawn has just been layed and they are constantly watering it, is this allowed?

I don't like dobbing, but it is not fair if someone does things the rest are not allowed to do, espeically when it comes to something serious enough as water allowance.

Thanks in advance.

Leave them alone. The whole hosepipe ban is a farce anyway.

pigsinspace

Aug 31, 2005
I don't like dobbing

you sir are a complete wanker...I use my hose pipe to water my garden... so up yours.
the water shortage is the fault of foreign companies who "own" the water, they lose up to 30% in leaks, desalination works in the gulf, why not in the UK?

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To get back to the original point, how many people laying new turf realise how much watering is required? My folks are precisely in this position. The stuff dies quickly without copiou amounts of water.

This whole water situation is f***ing ridiculous, the government must do something about it - the South Of England will soon resemble the Mojave Desert if this keeps up.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Everyone needs to be careful about the water they use - hose pip ban or not, meter or not, its not a commodity which we have an endless supply of...

Not sure what the map Lord B. posted was about but we're in Shoreham and we definitely are not allowed to use the hose...

Contemplating getting a grey water recycler actually...

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I've paid my water rates so I'll use what I like thanks. Once the water companies plug up their leeks then I might have some more sympathy for them. As long as they continue to lose more every day than there poxy ban saves I'm not helping them.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Starry said:
I empty the pool every day because my kids use body paint, traipse grass, mud and who knows what through it and it grts manky so the grass/flowers get watered and every day I refill a fairly deep pool with water. We're probably using more water than Joe Bloggs who wants to have his sprinkler on for a few minutes and water his flower bed. Yet he will allegedly get punished and we won't.

This is unbelievable!!

Why are you using a paddling pool in the first place? There is a drought!!!

Also for all those commenting on a single person paying the same or more than a family of 10, the answer really is simple. GET A WATER METER!

Sometimes the General Public just beggers belief!

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Until they put a ban on using pools I will continue to use it. They obviously don't feel using a hose pipe to fill a pool is that bad since it is excluded from their hose pipe and sprinkler ban.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
80's Seagull said:
I've paid my water rates so I'll use what I like thanks. Once the water companies plug up their leeks then I might have some more sympathy for them. As long as they continue to lose more every day than there poxy ban saves I'm not helping them.

It's not them you are helping. It is the good people of Sussex.

Do you think they have some secret stash of water and they're just imposing these measures on us to piss us off?

I totally agree that the Water companies should be provideing us with the water we need. We are an affluent country surrounded by water with a moderate climate. We should never be short of water really. But at the moment we are so we all have to suffer. By all means slag off the water companies for not planning water shortages better but to just ignore it and say, well I pay my money is just selfish.

I personally would like to see EVERYONE metered, and the water companies FINED heavily. Water shortages are not a new thing and should not come as a suprise. About every 10 years we will have this.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Starry said:
Until they put a ban on using pools I will continue to use it. They obviously don't feel using a hose pipe to fill a pool is that bad since it is excluded from their hose pipe and sprinkler ban.

They only impose bans when things are getting desperate. In the mean time they like people to use their common sense. When it is obvious that people are too selfish to use their common sense they impose a ban. By all means have a paddling pool once in a while if you are not under a ban. But to empty one every day is taking the piss out of everyone around you.

I bet you drive a 4x4...

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Lammy said:
and the water companies FINED heavily.
and where do you think the money for that fine would come from?

we may be surrounded by water, but it certainly isn't usable. Desalination woroks where there is little natural fresh water, but it is damned expensive. much of our problem in he South-East will be down to poulation density relative to the ability of water companies to store and pump water. It's no surprise we're short when we have had so little rain.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Yes and my common sense says if it is hot and I can make my kids a little more comfortable by letting them have water play I will. They also go in the bath twice a day in the summer, I guess I should quit that as well.

I certainly do drive a 4x4 :)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
m20gull said:
and where do you think the money for that fine would come from?

we may be surrounded by water, but it certainly isn't usable. Desalination woroks where there is little natural fresh water, but it is damned expensive. much of our problem in he South-East will be down to poulation density relative to the ability of water companies to store and pump water. It's no surprise we're short when we have had so little rain.

Desalination is a great solution when there is a drought. It is not something that would need to be in operation 24/7. It would get used for a few months of the year once about every 10 years. This extra cost can be spread over that time. We would hardly notice the difference.

As for the fine, the industry is heavily regulated and it would not be hard to make sure the fine comes from share holders profits rather than customers bills.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Starry said:
Yes and my common sense says if it is hot and I can make my kids a little more comfortable by letting them have water play I will. They also go in the bath twice a day in the summer, I guess I should quit that as well.

I certainly do drive a 4x4 :)

:nono:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Lammy said:

To each their own I guess.

The hosepipe ban doesn't extend to filling pools and until it does (There has to be a reason it's not a blanket ban) the pool will continue to be filled and emptied.

As for the car, would happily change if you can find another that will sit a harness booster, a FF harness car seat and a RF harness seat along the back row with the least protected child in the middle position. Until then I'm stuck with the 4x4.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
tedebear said:
Until it runs out...then what are you going to do? Not sure I like your selfish attitude!

I'm not sure if I give a rats arse

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
If everyone took the attitude of "I will use what I want" then we are going to run out very soon. It wouldn't hurt to have a water butt with a lid to collect clean water for paddling pools or turn off taps when you are brushing your teeth and so on. There are so many ways of collecting and saving water.

This is going to be a huge problem in the near future, particularly with more roads (water evaporating) and more houses...

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Starry said:
To each their own I guess.

The hosepipe ban doesn't extend to filling pools and until it does (There has to be a reason it's not a blanket ban) the pool will continue to be filled and emptied.

As for the car, would happily change if you can find another that will sit a harness booster, a FF harness car seat and a RF harness seat along the back row with the least protected child in the middle position. Until then I'm stuck with the 4x4.

Sorry Starry but the ban suggests you don't fill your paddling pool to be correct:

"Can I fill my swimming/paddling pool during a ban?

Yes. However we would ask customers to consider not filling a swimming pool or paddling pool during the drought. If you must use your pool, please use the cleaning products and filters (approved by your paddling pool supplier), to avoid refilling your pool. "

and the new shape diesel Ford Mondeo has anchors for three large ff and rf car seats across the back... we sold ours as we've bought a transit camper but it was a fantastic car...

:)

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
tedebear said:
Sorry Starry but the ban suggests you don't fill your paddling pool to be correct:

"Can I fill my swimming/paddling pool during a ban?

Yes. However we would ask customers to consider not filling a swimming pool or paddling pool during the drought. If you must use your pool, please use the cleaning products and filters (approved by your paddling pool supplier), to avoid refilling your pool. "

and the new shape diesel Ford Mondeo has anchors for three large ff and rf car seats across the back... we sold ours as we've bought a transit camper but it was a fantastic car...

:)

You can't fit three Britax along the back of it. The Regent that we imported for Callum is a huge seat, Francesca is in a Duo Plus and then Anastasia was still rear facing in a First Class SI plus, as the new baby will be - first in the IC then the FC. I can't fit that in the back of any non - 4X4 and I'm not going to buy smaller car seats either.

Not sure where you pulled the pool thing from but I have the leaflet that came to my mother here and it says "Can we still fill our pond/hot tub/pool" as the question and underneath it says - Yes, There are no restrictions on these activities.

On the table the pool come under the Allowed column with an asterik saying *If you really need to. I guess it dpends how much you value your kids health and comfort and I'd rather they were cool and had water play than otherwise. If the ban extends to the use of pools we will of course stop.

Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Starry said:
You can't fit three Britax along the back of it.

A girl at Mother and Baby group is a childminder and she has three britax first class SI's across the back of her Mondeo (I think its a 54 reg?) - we have one too, they are big but they do fit.... with one of them rear facing...

I got the water info from the Southern Water web site - not sure where you are though...

Southern Water

I wasn't trying to be mean - just for your info...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here