Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

War in Middle East - part XXVVVII

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I'm certainly not branding the Israeli's stupid for their beliefs. The very reference to Israel in the Bible as being "The Promised Land" is exactly that - the land promised to them by God. In that respect, not only is it their natural human nature to desire a land/country of their own, it IS viewed by Israelites quite literally as their Divine Right.

You dont really need to spell that out thats Sunday School stuff.

By Israelites you mean Zionists I think though.

My point is most residents dont genuinely buy that, the Zionist's motivations helped established the state, your average Solly and Rachel who are just getting on with life are just grateful they live somewhere they dont get shot through the back of the neck into a pit.

I think we can guarantee that Israel will never be abandoned by the World, and rightly so. The influence of Jewish folk in powerful positions within powerful countries guarantees that Israel will never suddenly cease to exist or be annexed. It has the 4th biggest military force on the planet, and is a nuclear power.

QUOTE]

Disagree. I am pretty sure I will outlive the current State of Israel.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Disagree. I am pretty sure I will outlive the current State of Israel.

How do you see the end of Israel coming about then ? By diplomatically annexing the region / finding them another state ? Or by force ?

Any nuclear attack on Israel would inevitably draw the wrath of retribution from both Israel and the USA. Even the most fundamental of extremists might pause for thought before triggering that lot off. And even if they DID, Israel would still exist.

I think Israel is here to stay.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I though Tony Blair was meant to be sorting all this out... what the hell's he playing at?
probably on tour giving conference/after dinner speeches at $250,000 a pop.:thumbsup:

Dandyman

In London village.
i know there is a stark difference but does anyone else feel that israels foreign policy rubs off on normal jews, when i think of jews i think of israel and then i think of the mass slaughter of civilians and the theft and occupation of land, even thought these people probably dont support the war i still find myself thinking of them negatively, almost without realising it

Much (most?) of Israel's behaviour is an insult to everything that many who look to the secular, progressive, non-exclusivist heritage within Jewish life would treasure.

Dandyman

In London village.
How do you see the end of Israel coming about then ? By diplomatically annexing the region / finding them another state ? Or by force ?

Any nuclear attack on Israel would inevitably draw the wrath of retribution from both Israel and the USA. Even the most fundamental of extremists might pause for thought before triggering that lot off. And even if they DID, Israel would still exist.

That support for Israel is due to influential Jews in europe and the USA is , IMO, a myth.

In 1948 both the USSR and USA supported Israel in an effort to undermine the influence of the British Empire. Support today is based on Israel as a strategic asset in an economically important zone. If we and the US were less oil dependent, Israel might find itself facing some rather rather starker choices.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

This unshakeable belief in the will of the USA to support Israel until Armageddon (conveniently situated in modern day Israel) may well have a strong basis in recent history, but pragmatism wins the day in most cases. Times will change I feel.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So again, how do you believe Israel will cease to exist within your lifetime ? What could you perhaps see happening to bring that about ?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
So again, how do you believe Israel will cease to exist within your lifetime ? What could you perhaps see happening to bring that about ?

who knows mate I am not nostradamus. all i can see is some fuckers clinging on by their fingertips to some beach head, who have a proven track record for f***ing annoying their neighbours, rightly or wrongly, and have only got away with behaving abysmally due to the my enemy's enemy is my friend school of international politics, are not going to be around forever when people finally get f***ed off with them or they serve no useful purpose. its a hunch rather than an accurate prediction.

Last edited:

Unbelievable!

'Almost everyone agrees' with a Palestinian state except the fvcking Israeli government - THAT has been the problem for the last 60 years!!!!!

This is not correct. The Israelis have time after time made concessions, given land to the Palestinians. However, Hamas does not recognise the right of Israel to exist. You cannot sit down with your enemy if they will not recognise you or whose main purpose is to wipe Israel off the map.

Once, Hamas recognise Israel, then the Israeli's, USA & to a degree the Europeans will resolve the issue

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Apologies, my pedancy knows no bounds.
Taking your point though, the crux of the problem is that a "devine right" is precisely what Israel feel they DO have to this land. The only way to move towards resolving this is for the World (and that means YOU as well America), to stop picking sides and acknowledge that both the Israeli's AND the Palestinians have justified grievances against each other.

A ceasefire should be brokered on the basis that Hamas stops shelling southern Israel, Israel withdraws from Gaza and stops the attacks, prisoners/hostages from both sides be released, and they get round a table to sort the rest of this shit out without trying to destroy each other. Hamas also need to drop this "we will not recognise the state of Israel" shit as well for starters, because that belligerent and provocative stance gets in the way of ANY negotiations from the off. Israel is there. It exists. Deal with it. Talk with them.

Capitalised YOU seems to be pointing at me! I don't take sides, they are both as bad as each other.

And just in case people don't know the difference between Jews and Israelis...

A time to speak out: Independent Jewish Voices - Times Advert

IJV Advert in Times, November 19th 2008
TIME TO SPEAK OUT - NOW!

ONE YEAR on from Annapolis, a peace agreement to end the Middle East conflict remains as distant as ever. Settlement expansion continues and Palestinian life under occupation deteriorates dramatically.

Increasing tension within Israel, resulting both from the occupation and discrimination against the Arab minority, threatens the fabric of Israeli society and the political future of both Palestinians and Israelis.

In his Jewish New Year interview, outgoing Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert belatedly recognised that "the decision we must make is the decision we have refused to face with open eyes for 40 years". He then identified the fundamental conditions for peace: "We must reach an agreement with the Palestinians, the essence of which is that we shall actually withdraw from almost all the territories, if not from all the territories . . . including in East Jerusalem."

With elections immanent in Israel, it is vital that maximum pressure is exerted on the negotiators to ensure that these principles are put into practice without further delay. The election of a new American administration, committed to action on Middle East peace from day one, presents a fresh opportunity for progress towards a settlement.

We, Jews in Britain, affirm our opposition to the continuing occupation and call upon the British government to use its influence in Washington and the Middle East to bring the occupation to a rapid end.

Seymour Alexander
Lisa Appignanesi
David Aukin

Martha Jean Baker
Lynne Reid Banks
Julia Bard
Michael Baron MBE
Rosemary Bechler
Sir Geoffrey Bindman
Rica Bird
Jenny Bloom
Ilse Boas
Susie Bolchover
Jackie Bornstein
Prof Emeritus Leslie
Baruch Brent
Dr Colin Brewer
Babette Brown
Frances Bruce
Dr Alan Bullion
Steven Burkeman
Dr Judy Bury
Prof Jane Caplan
Dr L Caplan
Esta Charkham
Ruth Clark
Barry Cohen
Norma Cohen
Michael Collins
Lady Ellen Dahrendorf
Prof Miriam David
Sara Davidson
Bernard Davies
Sally Davies
Jean Davis
Audrey Droisen
Susan Egert
Prof Barbara Einhorn
Liz Elkind
Morris Farhi MBE
Prof Gene Feder
Pia Feig
Prof Robert Fine
Sylvia Finzi
Ivan Fiser
Alexander Franklin
Ruth Friedman
Dr Martin Gaba
Ellen Galford
Dr Sarah Garfinkel
Carolyn Gelenter
Murray Glickman
Martin Golding
Ronnie Golz
Arthur Goodman
John Goodman
Karen Goodman
Lionel Gordon
Philip Graham
Gerald de Groot
Michelle Hanson
Abe Hayeem
Rosamine Hayeem
H. Heller
Prof Susan Himmelweit
Prof Eric Hobsbawm
Gad Hollander
Henry Hyatt
Dr Anthony Isaacs
Ron Isaacs
Prof Michael Jacobsen
Riva Joffe
Prof Gabriel Josipovici
Ann Jungman
Prof Cora Kaplan
Ann Karpf
Adah Kay
Paul Kelemen
Michael Kendall
Thena Kendall
Godrey King
Dr Brian Klug
Dr Tony Klug
Stevie Krayer
Richard Kuper
Michael Kustow
Prof Emeritus Frank
Land
Madeline Landauer
Linda Lennard
Antony Lerman
Leah Levane
Louis Levi
Vivien Lichtenstein
Sonja Linden
Susan Loppert
John Lynes
Beryl Maizels
Dr Ruth Mandel
Jenny Manson
Miriam Margolyes OBE
Gary Markham
Dr Susan Marks
Mike Marqusee
Patricia McIndoe
Ann McPherson
Alison Meek
Dr Ron Mendel
Ed Mendelsohn
Phyll Mendelsohn
Dr Jonathan Miller
Dr Rachel Miller
Prof David Mond
Dr Peter Mond
Dr N Monday
Phyllis Monday
Jeremy Montagu
Ian Montrose
Louise Morris
Norman Moss
Maurice Naftalin
Dr Mica Nava
Chaim Neslen
Diana Neslen
Ines Newman
Prof Mike Newman
Dr Paul Oestreicher
Prof Susie Orbach
Margaret Owen
Dr Kathy Panama
Prof Helen Penn
Prof Naomi Pfeffer
Rina Picciotto
Colin Purkey
Naomi Roberts
Warren Robin
Lee Robinson
Dr Paul Robinson
Prof Jacqueline Rose FBA
David Rosenberg
Ben Ross
Leon Rosselson
Anthony Rudolf
Michael Sackin
Prof A Samuels
Dr Esther Saraga
Prof Donald Sassoon
Anthony Sattin
Seb Schmoller
Dr Susan Schonfield
Prof Lynne Segal
Prof Victor J Seidler
Sybil Shine
Prof Avi Shlaim FBA
Irris Singer
Dr Juliet Singer
Sid Singer
Dr Jonathan Sklar
Hazel Slavin
Gillian Slovo
Geoffrey Stadlen
Rob Steen
Harold Stern
Jonathan Stern
Dan Susman
Janet Suzman
Ruth Teddern
Martin Toch
Dr David Toke
Inge Trott
Nadia Valman
Stanley Walinets
Ernst Weinberg
Ingelore Weinberg
Jenny Weinstein
M Weiss
RB Weiss
Baroness Janet Whitaker
Enid Wistrich
Sharon Witton
Myra Woolfson
Miriam Yagud
Dr G Yudkin
Prof J Yudkin FRCP

Michael Collins, wasn't he that Irish chappie played by Liam Nielsen? Also, Alison Meek has a vested interested as she is due to inherit everything from all of us so of course she doesn't want a war thats going to leave a mess everywhere!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Apologies, my pedancy knows no bounds.
Taking your point though, the crux of the problem is that a "devine right" is precisely what Israel feel they DO have to this land. The only way to move towards resolving this is for the World (and that means YOU as well America), to stop picking sides and acknowledge that both the Israeli's AND the Palestinians have justified grievances against each other.

A ceasefire should be brokered on the basis that Hamas stops shelling southern Israel, Israel withdraws from Gaza and stops the attacks, prisoners/hostages from both sides be released, and they get round a table to sort the rest of this shit out without trying to destroy each other. Hamas also need to drop this "we will not recognise the state of Israel" shit as well for starters, because that belligerent and provocative stance gets in the way of ANY negotiations from the off. Israel is there. It exists. Deal with it. Talk with them.

Capitalised YOU seems to be pointing at me! I don't take sides, they are both as bad as each other.

And just in case people don't know the difference between Jews and Israelis...

A time to speak out: Independent Jewish Voices - Times Advert

IJV Advert in Times, November 19th 2008
TIME TO SPEAK OUT - NOW!

ONE YEAR on from Annapolis, a peace agreement to end the Middle East conflict remains as distant as ever. Settlement expansion continues and Palestinian life under occupation deteriorates dramatically.

Increasing tension within Israel, resulting both from the occupation and discrimination against the Arab minority, threatens the fabric of Israeli society and the political future of both Palestinians and Israelis.

In his Jewish New Year interview, outgoing Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert belatedly recognised that "the decision we must make is the decision we have refused to face with open eyes for 40 years". He then identified the fundamental conditions for peace: "We must reach an agreement with the Palestinians, the essence of which is that we shall actually withdraw from almost all the territories, if not from all the territories . . . including in East Jerusalem."

With elections immanent in Israel, it is vital that maximum pressure is exerted on the negotiators to ensure that these principles are put into practice without further delay. The election of a new American administration, committed to action on Middle East peace from day one, presents a fresh opportunity for progress towards a settlement.

We, Jews in Britain, affirm our opposition to the continuing occupation and call upon the British government to use its influence in Washington and the Middle East to bring the occupation to a rapid end.

Seymour Alexander
Lisa Appignanesi
David Aukin

Martha Jean Baker
Lynne Reid Banks
Julia Bard
Michael Baron MBE
Rosemary Bechler
Sir Geoffrey Bindman
Rica Bird
Jenny Bloom
Ilse Boas
Susie Bolchover
Jackie Bornstein
Prof Emeritus Leslie
Baruch Brent
Dr Colin Brewer
Babette Brown
Frances Bruce
Dr Alan Bullion
Steven Burkeman
Dr Judy Bury
Prof Jane Caplan
Dr L Caplan
Esta Charkham
Ruth Clark
Barry Cohen
Norma Cohen
Michael Collins
Lady Ellen Dahrendorf
Prof Miriam David
Sara Davidson
Bernard Davies
Sally Davies
Jean Davis
Audrey Droisen
Susan Egert
Prof Barbara Einhorn
Liz Elkind
Morris Farhi MBE
Prof Gene Feder
Pia Feig
Prof Robert Fine
Sylvia Finzi
Ivan Fiser
Alexander Franklin
Ruth Friedman
Dr Martin Gaba
Ellen Galford
Dr Sarah Garfinkel
Carolyn Gelenter
Murray Glickman
Martin Golding
Ronnie Golz
Arthur Goodman
John Goodman
Karen Goodman
Lionel Gordon
Philip Graham
Gerald de Groot
Michelle Hanson
Abe Hayeem
Rosamine Hayeem
H. Heller
Prof Susan Himmelweit
Prof Eric Hobsbawm
Gad Hollander
Henry Hyatt
Dr Anthony Isaacs
Ron Isaacs
Prof Michael Jacobsen
Riva Joffe
Prof Gabriel Josipovici
Ann Jungman
Prof Cora Kaplan
Ann Karpf
Adah Kay
Paul Kelemen
Michael Kendall
Thena Kendall
Godrey King
Dr Brian Klug
Dr Tony Klug
Stevie Krayer
Richard Kuper
Michael Kustow
Prof Emeritus Frank
Land
Madeline Landauer
Linda Lennard
Antony Lerman
Leah Levane
Louis Levi
Vivien Lichtenstein
Sonja Linden
Susan Loppert
John Lynes
Beryl Maizels
Dr Ruth Mandel
Jenny Manson
Miriam Margolyes OBE
Gary Markham
Dr Susan Marks
Mike Marqusee
Patricia McIndoe
Ann McPherson
Alison Meek
Dr Ron Mendel
Ed Mendelsohn
Phyll Mendelsohn
Dr Jonathan Miller
Dr Rachel Miller
Prof David Mond
Dr Peter Mond
Dr N Monday
Phyllis Monday
Jeremy Montagu
Ian Montrose
Louise Morris
Norman Moss
Maurice Naftalin
Dr Mica Nava
Chaim Neslen
Diana Neslen
Ines Newman
Prof Mike Newman
Dr Paul Oestreicher
Prof Susie Orbach
Margaret Owen
Dr Kathy Panama
Prof Helen Penn
Prof Naomi Pfeffer
Rina Picciotto
Colin Purkey
Naomi Roberts
Warren Robin
Lee Robinson
Dr Paul Robinson
Prof Jacqueline Rose FBA
David Rosenberg
Ben Ross
Leon Rosselson
Anthony Rudolf
Michael Sackin
Prof A Samuels
Dr Esther Saraga
Prof Donald Sassoon
Anthony Sattin
Seb Schmoller
Dr Susan Schonfield
Prof Lynne Segal
Prof Victor J Seidler
Sybil Shine
Prof Avi Shlaim FBA
Irris Singer
Dr Juliet Singer
Sid Singer
Dr Jonathan Sklar
Hazel Slavin
Gillian Slovo
Geoffrey Stadlen
Rob Steen
Harold Stern
Jonathan Stern
Dan Susman
Janet Suzman
Ruth Teddern
Martin Toch
Dr David Toke
Inge Trott
Nadia Valman
Stanley Walinets
Ernst Weinberg
Ingelore Weinberg
Jenny Weinstein
M Weiss
RB Weiss
Baroness Janet Whitaker
Enid Wistrich
Sharon Witton
Myra Woolfson
Miriam Yagud
Dr G Yudkin
Prof J Yudkin FRCP

Michael Collins, wasn't he that Irish chappie played by Liam Nielsen? Also, Alison Meek has a vested interested as she is due to inherit everything from all of us so of course she doesn't want a war thats going to leave a mess everywhere!!!

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

only if she believes Jesus was the son of God she will. This nailing her colours to the wrong mast might scupper it.

Israel

Late Saturday, thousands of Gazans received Arabic-language cell-phone messages from the Israeli military, urging them to leave homes where militants might have stashed weapons. -- Associated Press, Dec. 27

Some geopolitical conflicts are morally complicated. The Israel-Gaza war is not. It possesses a moral clarity not only rare but excruciating.

Israel is so scrupulous about civilian life that, risking the element of surprise, it contacts enemy noncombatants in advance to warn them of approaching danger. Hamas, which started this conflict with unrelenting rocket and mortar attacks on unarmed Israelis -- 6,464 launched from Gaza in the past three years -- deliberately places its weapons in and near the homes of its own people.

This has two purposes. First, counting on the moral scrupulousness of Israel, Hamas figures civilian proximity might help protect at least part of its arsenal. Second, knowing that Israelis have new precision weapons that may allow them to attack nonetheless, Hamas hopes that inevitable collateral damage -- or, if it is really fortunate, an errant Israeli bomb -- will kill large numbers of its own people for which, of course, the world will blame Israel.

For Hamas, the only thing more prized than dead Jews are dead Palestinians.

For Hamas, the only thing more prized than dead Jews are dead Palestinians. The religion of Jew-murder and self-martyrdom is ubiquitous. And deeply perverse, such as the Hamas TV children's program in which an adorable live-action Palestinian Mickey Mouse is beaten to death by an Israeli (then replaced by his more militant cousin, Nahoul the Bee, who vows to continue on Mickey's path to martyrdom).

At war today in Gaza, one combatant is committed to causing the most civilian pain and suffering on both sides. The other combatant is committed to saving as many lives as possible -- also on both sides. It's a recurring theme. Israel gave similar warnings to Southern Lebanese villagers before attacking Hezbollah in the Lebanon war of 2006. The Israelis did this knowing it would lose for them the element of surprise and cost the lives of their own soldiers.

That is the asymmetry of means between Hamas and Israel. But there is equal clarity regarding the asymmetry of ends. Israel has but a single objective in Gaza -- peace: the calm, open, normal relations it offered Gaza when it withdrew in 2005. Doing something never done by the Turkish, British, Egyptian and Jordanian rulers of Palestine, the Israelis gave the Palestinians their first sovereign territory ever in Gaza.

What ensued? This is not ancient history. Did the Palestinians begin building the state that is supposedly their great national aim? No. No roads, no industry, no courts, no civil society at all. The flourishing greenhouses that Israel left behind for the Palestinians were destroyed and abandoned. Instead, Gaza's Iranian-sponsored rulers have devoted all their resources to turning it into a terror base -- importing weapons, training terrorists, building tunnels with which to kidnap Israelis on the other side. And of course firing rockets unceasingly.

The grievance? It cannot be occupation, military control or settlers. They were all removed in September 2005. There's only one grievance and Hamas is open about it. Israel's very existence.

Nor does Hamas conceal its strategy. Provoke conflict. Wait for the inevitable civilian casualties. Bring down the world's opprobrium on Israel. Force it into an untenable cease-fire -- exactly as happened in Lebanon. Then, as in Lebanon, rearm, rebuild and mobilize for the next round. Perpetual war. Since its raison d'etre is the eradication of Israel, there are only two possible outcomes: the defeat of Hamas or the extinction of Israel.

Israel's only response is to try to do what it failed to do after the Gaza withdrawal. The unpardonable strategic error of its architect, Ariel Sharon, was not the withdrawal itself but the failure to immediately establish a deterrence regime under which no violence would be tolerated after the removal of any and all Israeli presence -- the ostensible justification for previous Palestinian attacks. Instead, Israel allowed unceasing rocket fire, implicitly acquiescing to a state of active war and indiscriminate terror.

Hamas's rejection of an extension of its often-violated six-month cease-fire (during which the rockets never stopped, just were less frequent) gave Israel a rare opportunity to establish the norm it should have insisted upon three years ago: no rockets, no mortar fire, no kidnapping, no acts of war. As the U.S. government has officially stated: a sustainable and enduring cease-fire. If this fighting ends with anything less than that, Israel will have lost yet another war. The question is whether Israel still retains the nerve -- and the moral self-assurance -- to win

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This is not correct. The Israelis have time after time made concessions, given land to the Palestinians. However, Hamas does not recognise the right of Israel to exist. You cannot sit down with your enemy if they will not recognise you or whose main purpose is to wipe Israel off the map.

Once, Hamas recognise Israel, then the Israeli's, USA & to a degree the Europeans will resolve the issue
Yes it is correct. Almost everyone DOES agree with a two state solution. When a peaceful solution was nearly brokered before the Israeli PM was assassinated, the *only* sticking point was the sovereignty of East Jerusalem!

However I agree with you that you can't sit down with an opponent like Hamas, until they soften their stance. However, it seems the Palestinian electorate have decided they couldn't sit down with Israel all the while they were illegally occuping land in the west bank and making only a few token efforts to remove some of their people. It cuts both ways.

Personally, I think if just one US president grew some bollocks and TOLD Israel to pull completely out of the West Bank within 12 months (or suffer the consequences), the two sides might not only have a chance of creating a peaceful settlement but that it might not require ANY further outside involvement. If I was Palestinian, I'd be less inclined to vote extremist at the sight of Israeli concessions than anything else.

Israel

It's bollocks like this that entirely discredit your point of view. Personally, I won't bother replying to any of your nonsense from now on.

It is regretable that from your reply, you are unaware of the Hamas militant physce. Once the militants can be persuaded, please god, to sit and discuss matters with the israelis, stop bombing israel on a daily basis, or if need be destroyed...then and only then will peace be achieved. Don't forget Israel has peaceful agreements with Egypt & Jordan. Who would of thought that 30 years or so ago?

It wasn't that long ago that the IRA were bombing civilians in the UK?

Or 9/11 for that matter?

Israel I assure you wants nothing more than peace with all its neighbours

Israel I assure you wants nothing more than peace with all its neighbours

Nice! Glad to hear that.

Er....should the Palestinians actually even be neighbours, living in a small 'compound' like they do? Or should these people be living together in one land (i.e. the place where they used to live that has been renamed Israel) , in harmony? Well, the suspicious thing about the latter concept, is that the Palestinians are cloistered into a small area like that, and have to have food supplies delivered by the grace of their kind neighbours.
Why have they receded to that small area? How did that happen like that?
'Bit fishy innit?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here