Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Want to win some money? - Then this bet is for you!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
This is not even a four fold accumulator, actually six as he is betting on the results of the remaining two fourth round games, and the four quarter finals. So the odds really are not that great at 15-8 or whatever. Strangest of all why would someone go to trouble of making up how much they bet on an event? I feel it is time for US to step aside and leave HSH to the undisputed title of worst NSC tipster, even if this comes in.

And Nsc's very own Walter Mitty

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
So what happens if Nadal's thigh injury was more than just cramping and he gets beaten? Let's be honest, Nadal isn't going to retire. He isn't that sort of competitor, he won't just give up. He'll fight hard, but lose. And that's it, game over for the bet. Another thing I would say, tipsters speak in terms of points, not pounds. The main reason for that is so that when the tip loses, as it probably will, you aren't going to have angry people banging on about the £500 you've just lost them, or whatever.

Advising anyone else to gamble is crazy, but referring to yourself as a professional gambler, or "moving towards" it, really is very stupid and can only end one way. I have two years experience of dealing with "proffesional gamblers" and they always end the same way. I've seen a lot, I've heard about a lot, and I've seen the figures for every shop in our chain in the city. Especially for sports bets. I'm making a much more informed decision to leave this particular tip well alone. Even if it does end up copping, it's not worth following.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
It doesn't always end the same way with professional gamblers - our sparkling new edifice out at Falmer is obvious evidence of that. I also know several people who make all, or the great majority, of their annual income from backing horses, and have done so for many years. They work bloody hard at it, eight or 10 hours a day watching videos and studying form, and that keeps them a percentage point or two ahead of the market. One of them rarely bets at less than 16-1, and so has long losing runs, but is sufficiently confident in his ability that he never lets it affect his confidence and has now turned a healthy profit (appx 5pc on turnover) every year for nearly
20 years.

It takes quite a rare combination of diligence, self-control and self-confidence to be a pro-punter. HSH, on the other hand, is, as 8Ace demonstrated, a fantasist, since only just over £50 has been staked at 2.88. But since I'd guess the other bets on that statement are probably genuine, his normal stake at that sort of price is £4. Even with 5pc commission, he's betting into near-perfect markets so it's likely to be a fair while yet before he needs to call Ocean Finance.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I can only talk from my experience, and that is that anyone who thinks they can make a living out of gambling, and gambling alone, is deluded and will come unstuck.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It doesn't always end the same way with professional gamblers - our sparkling new edifice out at Falmer is obvious evidence of that. I also know several people who make all, or the great majority, of their annual income from backing horses, and have done so for many years. They work bloody hard at it, eight or 10 hours a day watching videos and studying form, and that keeps them a percentage point or two ahead of the market. One of them rarely bets at less than 16-1, and so has long losing runs, but is sufficiently confident in his ability that he never lets it affect his confidence and has now turned a healthy profit (appx 5pc on turnover) every year for nearly
20 years.

It takes quite a rare combination of diligence, self-control and self-confidence to be a pro-punter. HSH, on the other hand, is, as 8Ace demonstrated, a fantasist, since only just over £50 has been staked at 2.88. But since I'd guess the other bets on that statement are probably genuine, his normal stake at that sort of price is £4. Even with 5pc commission, he's betting into near-perfect markets so it's likely to be a fair while yet before he needs to call Ocean Finance.

Didn't Bloom make a lot of money as the bookie rather than the gambler initially though

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
In the Betfair age, the standard bookie/punter distinctions don't necessarily fit. It's all about huge volume, and always staying a point ahead of the market. The majority of the liquidity in Betfair's main markets is supplied by a relatively tiny number of its clients, and whether you think of them as layers or backers is really neither here nor there. I would hazard a guess - though of course I've got no way to know for sure - that when it comes to football, TB is one of them.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
A lot of gamblers are now arbers, picking the best price and laying it off as it gets shorter. Like getting on Pricewise tips and then laying them once they have gone shorter. Must have balls of steel and patience to do this and not really gambling to me more like accountancy.

The days of people going from track to track with a carrier bag full of readies seem to be a thing of the past.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I'm totally blown away by people who make money from gambling on horses. Just staying in touch with domestic football betting takes some doing but to be able to get a result from 16/1 horses is a miracle in my eyes ( doffs cap)

I think HHS 's arsenal bet said it all last season. Even if they had won you made f/ all and to go large on a team that had virtually the same players who failed the season before...

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
So far so good, and as you can see my little fun bets Isner and Roddick have come in, both better than evens.

I know what I'm doing lads, keep the faith :thumbsup:

P.S Kerber has just taken the first set too at odds of 5/2. In terms of betting, tennis is my A game and will be my main target for income from now.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Didn't Harry Findlay start out by making loads of money betting on Tiger Woods and Roger Federer - often at very short odds? Of course, that was some time ago.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
So far so good, and as you can see my little fun bets Isner and Roddick have come in, both better than evens.

I know what I'm doing lads, keep the faith :thumbsup:

P.S Kerber has just taken the first set too at odds of 5/2. In terms of betting, tennis is my A game and will be my main target for income from now.

you will miss a big one at some point, be prepared.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A lot of gamblers are now arbers, picking the best price and laying it off as it gets shorter. Like getting on Pricewise tips and then laying them once they have gone shorter. Must have balls of steel and patience to do this and not really gambling to me more like accountancy.

The days of people going from track to track with a carrier bag full of readies seem to be a thing of the past.
Not at the track, but my dad and me had a great day traipsing around the Brighton and Hove bookies backing his horse a couple of years ago....£50 e/w in Beaney's, £25 e/w Ladbrokes Arundle Road, £50 win Ladbrokes St. Georges Road, £40 win William Hills Duke Street etc etc......and an even better following day filling up the 'Almahaza's winnings box'.....:lolol: (it can be done!)

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Not at the track, but my dad and me had a great day traipsing around the Brighton and Hove bookies backing his horse a couple of years ago....£50 e/w in Beeney's, £25 e/w Ladbrokes Arundle Road, £50 win Ladbrokes St. Georges Road, £40 win William Hills Duke Street etc etc......and an even better following day filling up the 'Almahaza's winnings box'.....:lolol: (it can be done!)

Beeneys have long gone I think

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Didn't Bloom make a lot of money as the bookie rather than the gambler initially though

No, he was a stand out winning punter with amongst others Victor Chandlers in Gib...Victor jn turned this in his favour by employing him and the rest...

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I can only talk from my experience, and that is that anyone who thinks they can make a living out of gambling, and gambling alone, is deluded and will come unstuck.

You couldn't be more wrong, there are various way to do it but if the clever guys don't talk about their angle (would you?) then others never know and cannot learn

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here