Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

WALKING to the Amex

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
OK, so assuming its not HONKING down on Saturday, I have decided I am going to walk from Portslade to the Amex to watch us totally out-soccer those Huddersfield dins. On my average MINCE along the seafront, which I do fairly regularly, it takes me just under an hour to get from Portslade to Brighton city centre. So I'm reckoning the usual hour to walk to the Steine, then all the way up Lewes Road to that little walkway just before the A27 junction, and then onwards to the Amex is....ooooh....about another hour and a quarter-ish maybe ? Hour and a half ? I intend being in the queue for DICKS at around 1pm, so 10.30 am start should do it, with a fully charged iPod, a hey-diddle-diddle, and a fair wind. Or are my rough guesstimates a bit SKEWED ?

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
OK, so assuming its not HONKING down on Saturday, I have decided I am going to walk from Portslade to the Amex to watch us totally out-soccer those Huddersfield dins. On my average MINCE along the seafront, which I do fairly regularly, it takes me just under an hour to get from Portslade to Brighton city centre. So I'm reckoning the usual hour to walk to the Steine, then all the way up Lewes Road to that little walkway just before the A27 junction, and then onwards to the Amex is....ooooh....about another hour and a quarter-ish maybe ? Hour and a half ? I intend being in the queue for DICKS at around 1pm, so 10.30 am start should do it, with a fully charged iPod, a hey-diddle-diddle, and a fair wind. Or are my rough guesstimates a bit SKEWED ?

Would you not want to take a more direct or scenic route? Along the South Downs Way? Round the back of the city?

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
are you not an owner of one of these contraptions, easy?

they have all the health and environmental benefits of walking plus you may get to dick's a good hour earlier, leaving you even more time for the pre-match binge.

BicyclePlymouth.jpg

:thumbsup:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

It's gonna HONK. If I were you I'd get the P and save your pilgrimage for Wolves.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Hold up Easy! Are you suggesting that you're intending to saunter through Hove without being waylaid at GFC by at least an hour (plus the inevitable post-dirty-chicken snooze of at least an hour & a half-ish)? If so, I fear you are rather deluded good sir.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I know the city has changed since my day but wouldnt the OSR be a better route than the seafront then drop down to Preston Park and across from there? Should be a fair bit shorter?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pubs and chickens are always a distraction of course, but I am determined to remain FOCUSSED at the task in hand (and thanks for the mileage [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] ). I reckon I'll chug along at around 3-4mph for most of it, so 2 and a half hours to do just under 9 miles looks about right, assuming I don't get waylaid by an errant Kronie or a succulent chicken-tit on the way.

And no [MENTION=10]Benny Seagull[/MENTION] I do not have one of those new fangled "bicyclists" contraptions of which you speak. I am in no hurry, I have no need for velocity or the shortest route. The pleasure is in the walking and the music and the podcasts, as I march along with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The pleasure is in the walking and the music and the podcasts, as I march along with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.
The new Bugle podcast will be out, so you'll have to factor in the time required to laugh manically to yourself and the associated problems, therein.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Pubs and chickens are always a distraction of course, but I am determined to remain FOCUSSED at the task in hand (and thanks for the mileage [MENTION=257]The Large One[/MENTION] ). I reckon I'll chug along at around 3-4mph for most of it, so 2 and a half hours to do just under 9 miles looks about right, assuming I don't get waylaid by an errant Kronie or a succulent chicken-tit on the way.

And no [MENTION=10]Benny Seagull[/MENTION] I do not have one of those new fangled "bicyclists" contraptions of which you speak. I am in no hurry, I have no need for velocity or the shortest route. The pleasure is in the walking and the music and the podcasts, as I march along with a smile on my face and a song in my heart.

I would suggest going down Old Shoreham Road too, cause then you would literally be going down the Old Shoreham Road to see the Brighton Aces (albeit in the OTHER direction). Being blue and white, running and having a smiling face would also be a plus.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Pubs and chickens are always a distraction of course, but I am determined to remain FOCUSSED at the task in hand

What time would you like the taxi to turn up at the Albion pub, Mr Ten?

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
You might have started something here EASY 10 if you keep doing the same walk for every game people might start following you like FOREST GUMP by the end of the season you could have a few hundred people following on behind (id join you this Saturday but I'm a bit busy )

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can get to my house to the amex in 25mins walking briskly, and from my house to the steine in 40mins at a slightly more leisurely pace. I'd say your estimates are pretty accurate from the steine onwards. Can't comment on the portslade to the steine bit.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The new Bugle podcast will be out, so you'll have to factor in the time required to laugh manically to yourself and the associated problems, therein.

I will have a Frank Skinner ready to rock, and will be trying not to look like a mentalist as I snort and guffaw my way along. The rest of the journey will take place to a thumping backdrop of pop-tastic era-defining choons on shuffle, from the 70's, 80's and 90's - but not much beyond that, as apart from 'Call Me Maybe' (obviously), there has not been ONE decent single produced since 1993. That is a FACT, and you can take it to the BRIDGE.

You might have started something here EASY 10 if you keep doing the same walk for every game people might start following you like FOREST GUMP by the end of the season you could have a few hundred people following on behind (id join you this Saturday but I'm a bit busy )

I was thinking more Rocky. I'd even have the steps to run up at the end, into the WSU (or Dicks).

And [MENTION=23]Everest[/MENTION] - be GONE with your foul temptations of hoppage and, err, cab-age.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Thing is, I think in this Saturday scenario you have envisaged for yourself, Albion DEFINITELY win. Say we lose.

You then have to TRUDGE (and it will be a trudge) all the way home afterwards, as 'Udders fans throw things at you from the windows of their fast-moving vehicles.

Re: Frank Skinner - hows about a bit of Rhod Gilbert? His podcast is usually chucklesome.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here