Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo gone - official

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
IMHO he's not good enough for Championship level, but way too good for L2 ... so I hope he gets himself a good deal with another L1 club next year?
Just hope he doesn't play well against us, whoever it be with?

Palarse will be L1 next year ..... he wouldn't have to move house?:lol:

Feb 14, 2010
Up until Gus arrived these have been first team regulars over the last couple of seasons and we have been nothing better than bottom third of league 1. Sorry to see them go and thanks Adam for the goal against Swindon but time to move on...looks like its going to be an exciting summer!!!!!

understand the point that we have been nothing better than bottom third of lague 1, and that is whee I am coming from, but I'm not with you with the "sorry to see them go". Its a results business and I am very pleased that all three are gone and we can get a squad that can control, pass, move and win football matches.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think his problems started way back when we started using him up forward as make shift striker.

He kinda became a bit of a spare parts player after that and in some ways I think that affected his overall game and he was never as consistent defensively from then on.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I have more trust in gus than you:lolol:

Virgo is very average anyway :)
please do not question my trust in Gus, if you care to read any previous post of mine on that subject you'll find it has been rock solid ever since we appointed him, unlike many naysyaers on here who were very much questioning him a few months ago - confused where you got any hint of doubt in my post?

Feb 14, 2010
I think his problems started way back when we started using him up forward as make shift striker.

He kinda became a bit of a spare parts player after that and in some ways I think that affected his overall game and he was never as consistent defensively from then on.

I dont agree. His problem is natural talent. How did Virgo get to be a professional footballer when he cant control the football? Answer because he is big. Only in England, well and Scotland. If kids had to play 5 a side football until they were 14 then players like Virgo would not get near the professional game. hat is not against him as a bloke as I dont know him, but he is a typical English center half donkey on the pitch.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I dont agree. His problem is natural talent. How did Virgo get to be a professional footballer when he cant control the football? Answer because he is big. Only in England, well and Scotland. If kids had to play 5 a side football until they were 14 then players like Virgo would not get near the professional game. hat is not against him as a bloke as I dont know him, but he is a typical English center half donkey on the pitch.

From my memory (failing each year) he was never as red card prone(happy to stand corrected) back then which would indicate he was reading the play better and able to deal with things better defensively.

Sure he isnt the greatest natural footballer but I still think his game in the long run was slightly affected by the too and froing of his positional changes.

Having said that El-Abd has had to deal with numerous positional changes over his Albion career and has come through quite well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
shame, another proof of the saying "dont go back", never really got it together and Adams ruined his chances by moving him in to every square hole possible. people seem to think they are clever and knock him (no ball control? then how come he made such a decent striker?) but he's a decent player that should have stayed in the Championship as a CB.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Virgo has been a terrific servant to the club, I'll be sad to see him go. He'll have no problem finding another L1 club, he's easily good enough to continue his career at this level.

If this is the calibre of player Gus is binning, I'm looking forward to seeing the quality of signings he'll be bringing in the summer.

If you believe Poyet then our budget is only 10% more than last year. If we are going to attract better players than what we have, we need to pay fees and competitive salaries. Not sure with a 10% increase that is good enough to turn us into promotion candidates. That is of course if you believe Poyet.

Feb 14, 2010
From my memory (failing each year) he was never as red card prone(happy to stand corrected) back then which would indicate he was reading the play better and able to deal with things better defensively.

Sure he isnt the greatest natural footballer but I still think his game in the long run was slightly affected by the too and froing of his positional changes.

Having said that El-Abd has had to deal with numerous positional changes over his Albion career and has come through quite well.

"sure he isnt a natural footballer".. totally agree, so how the fck did he become a professional footballer in the first place! Only in England :down:

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
I am totally f***ed off with this decision.

I think he is the best centre back at the club. Better than elphick and El Abd and has the experience. And is Brighton through and through. To echo the thoughts above, I think his problem is his versatility. He was pushed from pillar to post to cover anything from striker to winger, rightback or leftback....all of which meant he could never establish himself as a first choice centre back. And when he did just about get there, he gets sent off just as el abd's getting back to full fitness. Unlucky.

With regards to the 10% thing...I am hoping Gus is just saying that to deflate agents expectations.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A good lad and it would have been nice if he had a run out at Falmer ............. but then football is not a "nice" game (you only have to read on here!)

Correct choice on purely footballing terms if we are to have ambition to improve.
I'm sure he will get a job before next season starts - just hope it's not with Adams at Port Vale because he is still better than that :clap:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I won't judge this decision until we see who Gus is able to bring in. Presumably he has a short-list and is confident of bringing one of them in.

In Gus we trust
Thanks Adam, say hi to Mickey for us

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
i thought virgs was a different player after getting back into the team, and i will be sad to see him go, a decent bloke who bleeds blue and white. however gus does not want him here any longer and i am of the belief that gus is going to take us places and these are the type of decisions that need to be made in order for the squad to be gus's and gus's alone.

goodbye adam, good luck in finding a decent club :thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
"sure he isnt a natural footballer".. totally agree, so how the fck did he become a professional footballer in the first place! Only in England :down:

Just to remind you we are in the third tier of English football. I would be interested to see the quality of the defenders in the third tier of the Spanish, Italian, German or French leagues. The only league were I would suspect the defenders are better footballers is likely to be the dutch league.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

Whether you like it or not football is a physical game. And it's a physical game in many other countries besides England. Poyet himself was a strong and skilful player. At Leeds Virgo was sent off after a dreadful throw out by Brezovan. His heading ability was missed and with ElAbd in the middle we ended up conceding from a long cross.

I think it's a pity he's going. If we sign well in the summer it won't matter so much. But the club can't afford any more Holroyd-style signings.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I should think he'll find another club at the lower end of this league. Thanks and all that but I would imagine he'd have been one of the highest earners here and he wasn't anything but a half decent centre back, though I will always remember that goal he scored away at Leicester.

Good luck to him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here