Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo gone - official

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
MM ruined him by playing him up top.

He was an outstanding CB, the odd thing was that he wasnt very good as a striker but yet started a lot of games there.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Any player that's unable to play the style of play that poyet wants will be going, so a few more to go yet.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Probably one of the most important players for us in the last decade.

Not only did he score THAT goal against Swindon, he managed to get himself sold for £1.5m (saving the club?), he was a beast of a makeshift striker and he scored the goal that saved us from relegation against Ipswich.

Lovely chap and I hope to see him back here one day in some sort of capacity.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
He was a local guy who cared more than most about BHA - which I do think counts for something, especially with a presumably high number of foreign players coming in this summer. He was also playing bloody well before the red card at Leeds.

I'm a bit suprised and a bit disappointed. However, in Gus we trust! I hope he knows what he's doing!

TonyTownersShorts

Jan 26, 2010
Very sad to see Virgo as he is Albion born and bred but probably the right decision and with El-Abd's form just could not get back, looked rusty at Gillingham I thought. Still think we need an experienced centre half who can organise and direct from the back for next season.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Virgo was rubbish last season (MA's fault) and this season he was good between January 2nd (Torquay) and February 20th (Leeds) and rubbish for the rest of the time. Wow. Nice bloke, Albion through and etc, but a waste of wages for 6 weeks of good performances in 2 seasons.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
understand the point that we have been nothing better than bottom third of lague 1, and that is whee I am coming from, but I'm not with you with the "sorry to see them go". Its a results business and I am very pleased that all three are gone and we can get a squad that can control, pass, move and win football matches.

I was just being polite :)....i think this summer will see the clearout we should have had last summer or even the summer before, Gus can see what we've all seen for ages, players have not been good enough and the squad has been far to big with high earners not being up to the job and far too many loan signings.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
If Virgo won't be getting a contract then none of them will be.

Think that is very true! Brezovan and Calderon will be offered deals and that is it. Am very surprised by this and I actually think it's a mistake. If the rumours of him being a high earner are true, I still think he should have been offered a new deal, possibly with reduced wages - then let him make the decision whether he wants to stay or go.

The few games before Leeds, I thought he looked back to his best and would have been an important member of the squad for next year.

Sad to see him go but have no doubt he will find a good club in league one. A great servant to the club and, by all accounts, a very good lad too.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Good luck Adam and thank you for all your efforts on behalf of the Albion.Hope you get fixed up soon.
IMHO....next one up will be Michel;just can't see him staying.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
A good lad and it would have been nice if he had a run out at Falmer ............. but then football is not a "nice" game (you only have to read on here!)

Correct choice on purely footballing terms if we are to have ambition to improve.
I'm sure he will get a job before next season starts - just hope it's not with Adams at Port Vale because he is still better than that :clap:
but what if they come up through the play-offs?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
MM ruined him by playing him up top.

He was an outstanding CB, the odd thing was that he wasnt very good as a striker but yet started a lot of games there.
He hardly played in central defence for the first team before that, he played virtually all his games at right back.
I don't see how playing up front could have "ruined" him anyway. That was probably his best season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here