SUNNY SEAFORD
And Safeway only believes in wind-ups.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
BensGrandad said:
[/QUOTE

I believe that Virgo went in with the INTENTION of getting the ball but in so doing his enthusiasm took him and determination to get the ball and in so doing clattered the player ina reckless manner.

There are very few people on here who talk complete rubbish and you happen to be most of them. I am not 'sniping' at the club as you put it but suggesting what I saw as a football supporter and a man that has been involved in football at all levels as a player, referee, manager,administrator, county representative etc and IN MY OPINION both yellow cards were warranted. Had that match been a match that comes under the rule of the county FA and I had sat on or chaired the disciplinary committee, as I have done on many occassions, I would have reccomended the standard junior punishment which is 28 days ban.QUOTE

Let us have complete faith in the Sussex FA. Most of your refs hadn't got the bottle to cope with players like Mark Dunk. So stop preaching!!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Safeway said:
TLO doesn't understand the concept of opinions. To him there are two types of people: those that agree with him, and those that are WRONG. :jester:
Ah right. Which one am I?

BensGrandad said:
I believe that Virgo went in with the INTENTION of getting the ball but in so doing his enthusiasm took him and determination to get the ball and in so doing clattered the player ina reckless manner.
So by Virgo winning the ball and the other fella being late, Virgo deserves a yellow card?

BensGrandad said:
There are very few people on here who talk complete rubbish and you happen to be most of them.

That's rich from someone coming from someone thinking that showering cash at the Falmer process would have better guaranteed permission by now. Or that there are plenty of people in the wings waiting to take over the Albion.

BensGrandad said:
I am not 'sniping' at the club as you put it but suggesting what I saw as a football supporter and a man that has been involved in football at all levels as a player, referee, manager,administrator, county representative etc and IN MY OPINION both yellow cards were warranted.
Had that match been a match that comes under the rule of the county FA and I had sat on or chaired the disciplinary committee, as I have done on many occassions, I would have reccomended the standard junior punishment which is 28 days ban.

Because they are professional footballers such bans would not be given for these or similar offences but are standard in junior football.

Yes. And?

Last edited:

cdavis

May 14, 2004
To BensGrandad........so you were on the Sussex FA............with the number of fines and suspensions I received from you bunch of Wankers when I played "junior football" is it any wonder I think your posts are total bollocks..........I wouldn,t piss on you if you were on fire....!!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BensGrandad said:

but suggesting what I saw as a football supporter and a man that has been involved in football at all levels as a player, referee, manager,administrator, county representative etc

So was my cousin and he is a pompous prat as well

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Just to change the direction of this thread slightly (away from personal insults).

I'm more concerned about the position on the pitch where these offences took place. i.e. both pretty much on the halfway line.
I've heard the footie pundits say many a time, words to the effect of "if your gonna get booked, make sure its for something important" - i.e. in the penalty box or somewhere when a goal is distinctly possible. Both of Virgs were 50:50 ish in the middle of the park.

What's done is done, the important factor is that Virgs learns from this and thinks a bit harder about where he is and the "value" of the tackle. When he plays up front, he's all effort (which is comendable) but he must control agression. If we had lost the game, HE would have lost a lot of cred with many fans and as we have seen on so many occasions, when a player loses fan-cred it can sometimes be difficult to recover. Tank excepted!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was never on Sussex FA so I cannot comment on any of their actions. I was on another County FA.

Like everybody else including the ref I saw the game and it is my opinion that both challenges warranted a booking. I doubt very much whether the ref will change his mind and there wasn't a lot of critiscm of his decision from 'the experts' on TV.

Any views that I may have regarding the running of the club does not stop me watching the game and forming an opinion.

This is what makes the national sport of this country so good and enthralling. OPINIONS.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You are so yesterday BG

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BensGrandad said:
there wasn't a lot of critiscm of his decision from 'the experts' on TV.

There has been on Sky

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
there wasn't a lot of critiscm of his decision from 'the experts' on TV.

..only that it was highlighted by Sky Sports this morning as the worst decision of the weekend and all the other pundits agreed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
To sum it all up Dermot Gallagher said the 2nd booking was for a reckless challenge.

I tend to agree but then I would because I got in trouible with my County FA for disagreeing with refs and not treating them as God and letting players off by giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Incidentally when saying about TV I was saying about ITV and The Championship not Sky which I didnt watch.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.. shocking decision, the Sunderland clatters into Virgo after he had taken the ball. It was reckless of the Sunderland player to go for the ball when Virgo was obviously going to get it was it not ?

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
just to play devil's advocate

As im entioned earlier on, it is my belief that the rule of "recklessness" applies regardless of whether a foul was actually committed ... i.e. "intent" is enough.

I.e. You could lunge into a player and miss him completely (maybe because he lept over your incoming legs) and you would still get punished.

if Gallagher determined that Virgo intended to be reckless (and who could blame him after that 3rd minute challenge) then he can award the yellow.

I think those who are criticising the decision believe it was given for a "foul", i.e. taking the player rather than the ball, which he clearly did not do.

I am not an expert (having newver done a referees course) and therefore I'm not going to hold a strong view on it, save to sday that I can see why the referee could give it; but at the same time, many would not.

the lynchpin for me was the first foul - for which had I been a referee I would have been sorely tempted to give a strraight red - it looks worse every time I watch it on the video.

I think that Gallagher probably let him off with a yellow as it was so early, but was then determined to hit him hard if he was reckless again.

Just my opionion of course.

p.s. why does every thread where there are two points of view have to descend into a slanging match ????

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I felt it was harsh yesterday but...

Messrs Virgo and Knight get far too many bookings! - and that is a FACT!

They are both very good players but they seem to get booked needlessly on a regular basis!

Adam for very clumsy tackles and Leon for petulance.

Mind you, I'm sure Mr McGhee has pointed this out to them!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I just thought that Gallagher had a mare in the first half. I can't believe some think that Virgo's first challenge could've been a straight red. OK a booking perhaps but other refs have let worse challenges go with just a word. The second yellow was a joke. The tackle was a committed one from a player in a committed team. Virgo won the ball and then Breen almost jumped on top of him. When the whistle went my initial reaction was that the ref had given us a free kick. 5 minutes later a Sunderland player chopped one of ours down and didn't even get a talking to. Big club vs 'small' club syndrome?

I think the crucial words in law 12 are

Decision 4
A tackle from behind which endangers the safety of an opponent, must be sanctioned as serious foul play

Although interestingly (!!) you cannot be sent off on a second yellow card (which Virgs got) for serious foul play. SFP gets a straight red card. he could have only been cautioned for being "guilty of unsporting behaviour"

So I am afraid Gallagher was right to send Virgo off (not what I said at the time by a long chalk) , although he got the process wrong. He should have given him a straight red rather than a second yellow.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My take at the time, and not changed having watched the recording on the Championship a few times, was that Gallagher is a complete w*nker. His first half display was atrocious. Luckily, he seemed to get a grip of himself in the second half and performed much better.

I'd like to think that when he reflects on the game, and the decision to send off Virgo in particular, he will also learn something from the experience.

Breen was just as reckless as Virgo, arriving VERY late in the challenge, yet Gallagher didn't say a word to him. McCammon was also felled when clean through on goal, but the offending player didn't get spoken to. Both dreadful mistakes IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here