Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo 2nd yellow

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
Appalling decision

Both players challenged for the ball, Virgo got there first and both players momentum caused the collission.

Gallagher is a total idiot who should be referring under 5 football.

Is there an appeal procedure against a red card as a result of two yellow cards ? Surely the 2nd yellow card should be recinded, if (big if) Gallagher decides to review TV evidence.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
I am sure one yellow could be recinded if the referees agress to review the decision with TV evidence, but he has to be man enough to agree to review and admit he made a mistake.

Gallagher ???? :jester:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Safeway said:
Having seen it this morning, I've no complaints with either booking.

The first challenge was leading with the shoulder, and the fact Virgs got the ball with the second tackle was, IMHO, more luck than judgement. Looked like he was playing the man more.

Having watched it again and again must agree with you he deserved both bookings = 1 red card. Just a second prior to that 2nd booking I said to Ben I would take Virgo off and protect him before he gets sent off and we lose him for more games.

Last edited:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
Will it just be a one-match ban, no danger of him getting anything more for the earlier red this season?

The imediate post-match view was that it will probably be a TWO game ban

Kaney

Banned
Feb 11, 2004
Brighton
Personally, it looked as if Virgo set out to get sent off, ridiculous challenges both times, all I can say is I'm glad we won, as he would have been to blame for anything less. Bad decision by MM to play him up front, but Great decision to play knight on left.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Robert Lester Zamora said:
The imediate post-match view was that it will probably be a TWO game ban
1 game for 2 yellows and a 2nd game cos he's already been sent off this season

Clarke Quay

Oct 27, 2004
Hampshire
I think Gallagher was on the verge of sending him off for the first foul (elbow), save it was very early on and he caught their guy in the chest rather than higher up. As several other people have pointed out, Gallagher's response to the second challenge was instant-his body language semed to suggest he was waiting for Virgo's next strong challenge.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
BensGrandad said:
Having watched it again and again must agree with you he deserved both bookings = 1 red card.
Hello? Hello? Earth to BG... The second one wasn't a foul. Winning the ball with no other players present until after the event is not a foul. OK? Therefore, a yellow card was not warranted. You just cannot help sniping at the club, can you?

Jeez, why are you blaming Virgo for a refereeing balls up...

Last edited:

I'm not saying he didn't get the ball first, that can't be disputed.

However, there is the issue of the manor he went in. It was one foot short of a full pelt two-footed lunge (if that makes sense). Yes he got the ball, but he also properly clattered the Sunderland player. In this day and age that's always going to be pulled up as foul. Whether or not it was bookable I would say is still up for debate, but I know if the roles had been reversed then half the south stand would have been straight up shouting the odds. FACT.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Safeway said:
Having seen it this morning, I've no complaints with either booking.

The first challenge was leading with the shoulder, and the fact Virgs got the ball with the second tackle was, IMHO, more luck than judgement. Looked like he was playing the man more.
It's a man's game.
No way should Virgs have been sent off.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The Large One said:
Hello? Hello? Earth to BG... The second one wasn't a foul. Winning the ball with no other players present until after the event is not a foul. OK? Therefore, a yellow card was not warranted. You just cannot help sniping at the club, can you?

Jeez, why are you blaming Virgo for a refereeing balls up...
[/QUOTE

I believe that Virgo went in with the INTENTION of getting the ball but in so doing his enthusiasm took him and determination to get the ball and in so doing clattered the player ina reckless manner.

There are very few people on here who talk complete rubbish and you happen to be most of them. I am not 'sniping' at the club as you put it but suggesting what I saw as a football supporter and a man that has been involved in football at all levels as a player, referee, manager,administrator, county representative etc and IN MY OPINION both yellow cards were warranted. Had that match been a match that comes under the rule of the county FA and I had sat on or chaired the disciplinary committee, as I have done on many occassions, I would have reccomended the standard junior punishment which is 28 days ban.

Because they are professional footballers such bans would not be given for these or similar offences but are standard in junior football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here