Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Virgo 2nd yellow

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Watch it again tomorrow. I think you'll change your mind. Goodnight.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Large One said:
Snipe, snipe, snipe. You are 100% wrong.

Just seen it on Sky, and it's as I remember it. He won the ball. In fact, he didn't even 'win' the ball, there was no other challenge until after he hoofed it back into our half.

Why would he be hoofing it back with such force at such a ridiculous angle? ???

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Wasn't at the game today, but went to Cardiff last week. Virgs was booked in the first half for a tough challenge, after he'd already had a speaking to from the ref for an earlier challenge. Near the end he was VERY lucky not to get a straight red for what looked to me like an elbow in the face of a Cardiff player. I'm a great fan of Virgs, but what goes around comes around - last week he was lucky. Sounds like this week he was unlucky.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Tom Hark said:
Why would he be hoofing it back with such force at such a ridiculous angle? ???
He's a donkey?

Absolutely no way was it from behind. Virgo was facing his goal and Breen facing his. Why he hoofed it backwards I don't know, but Breen didn't arrive until after the ball had gone.

At first, I thought that Gallagher was going to book Breen for a late challenge (and he was late). I coudn't believe it when I saw that he had brandished it to Virgo.

Having said that, his first booking he SHOULD be ashamed of. That was just plain daft on his part.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
right, from a referees point of wiew here. i havent seen the incident yet, but as a referee if a player who has earlier been booked, flies into a tackle (as its been described on here) gets the ball but still takes the player out then yes, I would caution the player for reckless behaviour.

Now, I am 100% albion, but really Virgs has gotta look at the situation. He was already on a yellow, so why is he going in for those sorts of tackles ?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Crazy decision, I really don't understand how there is a debate on this one. He went for the ball, won the ball clean, and that's the end of it. We can't have reached such a stage of non-contact that you cannot make contact with anyone else after you have kicked the ball! For goodness sake, it'll be the equivalent of tap-rugby.

He won the ball, end of. Never a free-kick! A yellow card? Sheer madness Dermot.

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
balloonboy said:
Wasn't at the game today, but went to Cardiff last week. Virgs was booked in the first half for a tough challenge, after he'd already had a speaking to from the ref for an earlier challenge. Near the end he was VERY lucky not to get a straight red for what looked to me like an elbow in the face of a Cardiff player. I'm a great fan of Virgs, but what goes around comes around - last week he was lucky. Sounds like this week he was unlucky.
he was definatly lucky last week

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
its how football has evolved though gritt. just imagine if a sunderland player had done the same thing... youd be happy that the ref was doing the job right and if he didnt dismiss the player then the south stand would be booing like mad !!!

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Gritt23 said:
Crazy decision, I really don't understand how there is a debate on this one. He went for the ball, won the ball clean, and that's the end of it. We can't have reached such a stage of non-contact that you cannot make contact with anyone else after you have kicked the ball! For goodness sake, it'll be the equivalent of tap-rugby.

He won the ball, end of. Never a free-kick! A yellow card? Sheer madness Dermot.

Good post Gritt & 100 % correct. Football is a contact sport. What next, getting booked for travelling??

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Referee87 said:
its how football has evolved though gritt. just imagine if a sunderland player had done the same thing... youd be happy that the ref was doing the job right and if he didnt dismiss the player then the south stand would be booing like mad !!!

I think if it had been the other way round the fans would have laughed their heads off and started singing "Can we have you every week". Ridiculous decision which gets worse every time I see the tackle.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
unfortunately mr,virgo has probably got a "one to watch" reputation amongst refs.which he should should try and sort out asap you cant help the team from the stand ???

balloonboy said:

Yes, I didn't see the incident the Cardiff fans were moaning about but there certainly was a couple of ugly tackles by Virgs during the game. This is a tough one, because you would never want to do anything to Virgs to take the aggression out of his game, but he has to get a bit smarter. As he comes across as a very smart guy, I don't expect this to be a problem for him, experience is everything in these situations and he's only just over a year into regular first-team action.

Will it just be a one-match ban, no danger of him getting anything more for the earlier red this season?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Now let's get this right. There are two players going for the ball. One gets there first and clears it away. The second arrives late and kicks the first. Who should get a yellow card?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is all ok for people on here to say lets see it on TV tomorow but Dermot Gallagher didn't have that option, I personally think that refs should but that is another issue, but based on what I saw of the incident from the North Stand I believe that he was right with his decision that that challenge warranted a yellow card. Virgs downfall wa the first stupid booking. The annoying thing about this is that he would have committed neither challenge if he had been playing in defence because he knows he would have given away a penalty so why do it when he is playing up front, which again I think is not the right position for him.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Very harsh. The ball was already played before the Sunderland player arrived (with the benefit of the replay on the Championship)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It seemed clear enough from where I was sitting yesterday. If anyone should have been booked it should have been their player for a late tackle.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
He caught him with the follow through, but nothing more. I think the real problem wasthat Gallagher didn't give the decision any thought - the card was out of his pocket almost as he was blowing the whistle.

Presumably he thinks that makes him look 'decisive'?

I reckon most refs would have used a bit of common sense and just told him to tone down his challenging a bit, particularly as he clearly won the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here