Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vincelots red card

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
so which bit of my post is "not true"?

"ONLY ONE PLAYER IS TO BLAME" ... Vincelot was assaulted ... end of story. He retailiated and saw red as a result, but it was retailiation not unprovoked. If there was ONE player to blame it is the Burnley player who started it (although obviously vinceolt should not have reacted but that is easy for us to say)

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
The BBC missed it, but Sky have footage of it. They showed it to some fans who were by the camera gantry at half time on their monitor. Vincelot, 100% jabbed their player in the back. Their lad didn't even react, and it was hardly a wild swing, but a little jab. To be honest, it's the kinda thing that often goes on but gets missed by officials, unfortunately for us the 4th official saw it and you can't really argue with the decision!

Correct - he didn't react because he knew he'd just smashed Vincelot in the face with his elbow. Shame Sky were not so keen to show fans that piece of footage ... or did they (and you) miss that

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
talking of injustice - seeing Chris Ramsay is a stark reminder of that awful challenge by whiteside that resulted in CR not able to get in front of stapleton who had an easy unmarked (stupid top of his head) header to get them back into that game.

"And Smith must...." snore.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
referring to whiteside i should think.

true. my mistake. but how fab to see Chris Ramsey there. When did he stop being the England Uner 18 coach?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
So from what I gather a jab to the body is a red card but grabbing someone by the throat and pushing them to the ground isn't even a warning???I may just try that in my next game..

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Correct - he didn't react because he knew he'd just smashed Vincelot in the face with his elbow. Shame Sky were not so keen to show fans that piece of footage ... or did they (and you) miss that

Just playing devils advocate because I missed the incident totally, but instead of retaliating do we think Vincelot should have gone down clutching his face? At worst he gets a yellow for simulation and at best the Burnley player sees red.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
Quote Originally Posted by Mustela Furo View Post
This was my view from 1901 as well. If Vincelot was guilty, then so was Bartley who initiated the "violence". Yellow card offence at worst.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003

Didn't notice it at the time but only caught a quick glimpse of the replay. Was the elbow as they both jumped up for a high ball? IIRC they both jumped, and as they landed Vincelot jabbed him. Presume that was the elbow incident, just didn't cotton onto it at first glance.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Just playing devils advocate because I missed the incident totally, but instead of retaliating do we think Vincelot should have gone down clutching his face? At worst he gets a yellow for simulation and at best the Burnley player sees red.

Clearly the way to have brought it to the referee's attention whilst avoiding a booking himself would have been to have grabbed Bartley and pinned him to the floor by his throat.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Pretty much this. Whoever said "it's not violent": under the laws of the game of course a punch is violent, it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Referees can interpret the rules and use common sense though. I have seen many games where worse has occurred between two players early on in a game- the referee generally speaks to both players, tells them to calm down and books them both. That said, I don't mind if the referee sees fit to issue a red card as a punishment, as you say, they have the right to do so. What gets my goat is inconsistency- Vincelot reacted to an elbow (unpunished) Barnes was grappled round the neck (unpunished) El-Abd was pushed in the face (unpunished).

Further, I would like the FA to introduce some system to tell the crowd why a player has been booked/sent off- ala Rugby. For the whole of that game I thought we'd lost a player 5 minutes in due to foul/abusive language!

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
Didn't notice it at the time but only caught a quick glimpse of the replay. Was the elbow as they both jumped up for a high ball? IIRC they both jumped, and as they landed Vincelot jabbed him. Presume that was the elbow incident, just didn't cotton onto it at first glance.

Yes - it does help having four camera angles to look at simultaneously of course so I am not necessarily blaming the officials for missing the elbow ... all I am really trying to do on this thread is to explain Vincelot's actions as (imho) he was getting some over-zealous criticism from those who thought it was a one-sided incident

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Might have been the better way for Vincelot to handle it. Methinks he needs a few lessons from El Abd who although the hardest player we have is also an expert at this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here