Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vincelots red card

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
The ref quickly assessed that Burnley were utter turd,and sent off two of ours to make it an even contest.

The wall of sound in the second half was awesome,and much better than the split north/west in house chanting.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Apparently next year you won't be allowed to tackle or even shake hands after the game for fear of being charged with violent behaviour. Bring back the crunching tackles and 1 sub rule we had back in the 70's and early 80's - in those days players just got up and got on with it. Now everyone is trying to get the opponents players sent off by waving imaginary yellow cards, diving all over the place, and faking injuries. I for one am f*****g sick of it!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When he got sent off there were loads applauding him as if he had been hard done by and then just attacked he ref. I was only pissed off with RV who had left us in the lurch after 5 minutes. Doesn`t even matter if the Burnley player was acting up, you don`t punch an opposition player and leave your side with 10 men.
I`ve a bit of sympathy with Barnes but not Vincelot, he let his side down yesterday.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Wish there was some video footage of this.

i saw it with me own eyes - it was like a rabbit punch - i said to my mate vincelot just punched that burnely player - the moment the ref got called over he was gonna get sent of - raised his hands on the pitch add your own cliche.....

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I didn't see if the Burnley #20 attacked Vincelot first, but as Vincelot ran past him, there is absolutely 100% no doubt in my mind that he punched him in the kidneys, with intent, and with a little force.
Thus the red for that particular action was totally justified.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The BBC missed it, but Sky have footage of it. They showed it to some fans who were by the camera gantry at half time on their monitor. Vincelot, 100% jabbed their player in the back. Their lad didn't even react, and it was hardly a wild swing, but a little jab. To be honest, it's the kinda thing that often goes on but gets missed by officials, unfortunately for us the 4th official saw it and you can't really argue with the decision!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The BBC missed it, but Sky have footage of it. They showed it to some fans who were by the camera gantry at half time on their monitor. Vincelot, 100% jabbed their player in the back. Their lad didn't even react, and it was hardly a wild swing, but a little jab. To be honest, it's the kinda thing that often goes on but gets missed by officials, unfortunately for us the 4th official saw it and you can't really argue with the decision!

It amazes me the antics that go on at corners and free kicks that come in to the box. All the jostling,blocking off,pulling and pushing and clothslines go utterly unpunished but, do it out of the box and its a yellow or even a red ?

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
From what i saw the 4th official did see what had happened straight away as he was up as soon as Vincelot had thrown the punch.

Did he heck as like.

It had to be pointed out to him by the Burnley bench. Btw I am not defending RV, both players should either have got a sensible lecture from the ref, a yellow card each or a red one each.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
It amazes me the antics that go on at corners and free kicks that come in to the box. All the jostling,blocking off,pulling and pushing and clothslines go utterly unpunished but, do it out of the box and its a yellow or even a red ?

Yep, and players so often get away with their OTT reactions as well, such as McCann on Barnes chucking him to the ground with his hands round his throat. He should at the bare minimum have been booked for that, but week after week up and down the country players get away with it. You've just got to be savy, and make sure you dont get caught and when it gets done to you, you make the most of it. The higher up the leagues you go the better the players are at doing that.

Nov 10, 2011
Although I hate to say it it was a red card. As he ran past him he's punched the burnley player on the arm area. However I don't know wether the 4th official I allowed to get the player sent off.

It was more a pathetic little slap than a punch, definitely not worthy of a red. Common sense should've prevailed and a yellow shown rather than setting the tone of the match like that so early on.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
talking of injustice - seeing Chris Ramsay is a stark reminder of that awful challenge by whiteside that resulted in CR not able to get in front of stapleton who had an easy unmarked (stupid top of his head) header to get them back into that game.
yep - dirty, cowardly bastard :nono: :albion2:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not True - although not blameless for the retailiation, he got a viscious elbow to the face from the Burnley player - something that suprisingly the Burnleyh bench failed to highlight to the fourth official.

so which bit of my post is "not true"?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A punch is a punch irrespective of the power or strength of it. A punch equals a red card, a yellow card is not an option so it was justified and stupid action by RV for which he should be fined the maximum the club can fine him.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
When he got sent off there were loads applauding him as if he had been hard done by and then just attacked he ref. I was only pissed off with RV who had left us in the lurch after 5 minutes. Doesn`t even matter if the Burnley player was acting up, you don`t punch an opposition player and leave your side with 10 men.
I`ve a bit of sympathy with Barnes but not Vincelot, he let his side down yesterday.

Pretty much this. Whoever said "it's not violent": under the laws of the game of course a punch is violent, it's ludicrous to suggest otherwise.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
i saw it with me own eyes - it was like a rabbit punch - i said to my mate vincelot just punched that burnely player - the moment the ref got called over he was gonna get sent of -

Your mate...

Medium size & build...

Wearing a dark tracksuit...

Like carrying around an LED number board?

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
it doesn't seem fair that Vincalot was taking a pasting from one player in particular, he appealed to the ref twice and at one point was floored by two players at once and got nothing.
Looking at Burnley's recent form, the ref's record and how much the albion were up for it, it did seem that they knew what they were doing with the sneaky niggles. Vincalot is fairly volatile and i suspect they picked him out for it which is why their bench was so attentive.

it's worth noting that while we have the worst cards record, we've also committed the least fouls!
It's all mouth and diving (Tanno)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Not True - although not blameless for the retailiation, he got a viscious elbow to the face from the Burnley player - something that suprisingly the Burnleyh bench failed to highlight to the fourth official.

Yes, but not the "official" broadcast footage. However, no point in appealing as Vincelot did commit the offence .... but it is a shame that the provocation has not been universally understood ... in MY opinion both players should have gone
Finely put...about summed up right!!

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I have no complaints about us getting red cards other than that Burnley were just as guilty of retaliation,nudging,fouling and they did'nt get any punishment at all apart from two yellows....what's good for the goose....etc,etc....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here