Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Villareal v Man Utd - Apparently means a lot to Utd

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which means it's similar to Albion, THE LEEDS or The Filth holding Man U to a draw for 120 minutes, which is hardly incomprehensible - both Leeds and Palace have held them to 0-0 for 90 minutes in the last few weeks, and we held on to a win/draw for 83 minutes.

Once you've completed Extra Time, you're a shoo-in to win, given De Gea's incompetence.

Over 120 minutes the galaxy of much vaunted stars failed to beat Villarreal. Fernandes, Pogba, Cavani, Rashford, Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, Greenwood, Bailly, Lindelof. On the bench Mata. Matic, van de Beek.

It wasn’t as if Villarreal went all out CH. Staving off wave after of Manure attacks.

No complaints from ex-players, hugely disappointed.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Spanish non-Barca/Real teams are often underrated in England. If you watch a mid-table or bottom table game in La Liga its generally the same quality as in the PL. How much clubs spend matters less when the average level of the Spanish players are higher than the levels of the English.

Happy for Villarreal. Its a small club with small resources but they frequently outperform what you could expect from them.

I’ve had Sky Sports since 1996, so I was able to watch La Liga for about 20 years.

I agree about the quality of the mid-table clubs. So often with (as yet unknown) quality players from the Latin world, great tactics, pace/guile up front, with a game plan to screw illustrious opponents such as Real and Barca. Away games for them at Bilbao, Sevilla, Betis, Sociedad, Valencia, Villarreal et seq often a nightmare.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I wonder if OGS considered subbing the goalie when the shoot-out looked likely?

De Gea not getting anywhere near those pens (bar one) I think certainly opens the door to Our Bob being the 2021 Tim Krul

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I wonder if OGS considered subbing the goalie when the shoot-out looked likely?

I dont think Ole is as bad as some say he is but Louis van Gaal is a genius imo. If they would have kept him for another two years they would have won some titles by now. Also thought they were too impatient with Moyes. The appointment of Mourinho, despite good results in first season, was a dumb one and delayed much of their rejuvenation process.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I didn't watch, or care about, this match.

But am I to understand that Man Utd lost to a penalty scored after the final whistle?

What a shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here