Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vicente - "I'd love to come back [next season]"

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Vicente has told Albion fans he would be happy to run out for their team in the Championship next season.

But the former Valencia and Spain star plans to take his time and talk things over before deciding his future.

Albion have the option of retaining Vicente, who turns 31 during the close season, for another year but are happy to leave the decision up to the player himself.

Gus Poyet and his squad are likely to receive an appreciative send-off for the summer from home fans as they wrap up an eventful tfirst season at The Amex today.

Asked if the game against Birmingham will be his last at the stadium for the Seagulls, Vicente said: “I hope it isn’t but you never know.

“I don’t know what I’ll be doing. I haven’t spoken to anybody but we will wait until the end of the season.

“I’ll talk to the family, to the manager, to the chairman.

“We need to think about things carefully within the family because we are going to have another child so that makes it more complicated.

“But I really like it here. If I can stay, I’d be delighted.”

He is full of praise for the way the Seagulls have looked after him, notably during the months when he was struggling for fitness.

However performances since returning to action seven weeks ago will have attracted interest from clubs eager to snap up a playmaking midfielder with an eye for goal.

Vicente will talk things over with his partner Mar, who is expecting their second child in June, before making a decision.

He added: “I’m going on holiday and I’ll take time to think about things thoroughly.”

Injured captain Gordon Greer is expected to pip Liam Bridcutt for the player of the season award, which will be announced before kick-off.

Greer has been playing through abdominal pain, which is thought to be related to scar tissue from previous hernia operations, and will miss the two remaining matches of the season

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Judging from the response given i dont think youll know until well into pre season before he commits or doesnt. Sounds ok though, but obviously the baby coming may make things difficult, but lets hope not.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I'm not convinced, I think he'll go back to Spain. How inconsiderate of his wife to fall pregnant when we need him the most ! :lolol:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I think today could be the last time we see Vicente in a Brighton shirt.... shame but the memory of that run and shot against the bar against Derby will live with me forever! Much like the Garry Nelson goal at Brentford!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm not convinced, I think he'll go back to Spain. How inconsiderate of his wife to fall pregnant when we need him the most ! :lolol:

she's got 22000 potential babysitters, all happy to help out in exchange for a little of Daddies time!

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Nothing we didn't already know? Why all the fuss ? Maybe he'll stay maybe he won't !

Have to say I agree. The fact it has been embargoed until now - I was expecting something a bit more definite. He's basically saying he likes it here but hasn't made up his mind for next season...

Whilst I understand Gus wants to do right by the player, I'm not sure why we negotiated an option for an extra season if we're not even going to take it.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I think today could be the last time we see Vicente in a Brighton shirt.... shame but the memory of that run and shot against the bar against Derby will live with me forever! Much like the Garry Nelson goal at Brentford!

Think he will stay !! Agree with Vicente v Derby memory amazing and Nelson's Brentford goal though.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Too close to call at the mo

Sounds silly but last year april was absolutely brill weather wise, this year its been shocking. A month of brighton in the sunshine before they went off on holidays to think it over would have helped our cause immensely, damn weather!

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Have to say I agree. The fact it has been embargoed until now - I was expecting something a bit more definite. He's basically saying he likes it here but hasn't made up his mind for next season...

Whilst I understand Gus wants to do right by the player, I'm not sure why we negotiated an option for an extra season if we're not even going to take it.

This. If we have an option to sign him for another season, do it now. Why are we pissing about?
Our club comes before his baby. At least if he signs we could get some decent cash if Reading do come sniffing.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Reading between the lines, he is very grateful, but is saying goodbye to the club, such a shame. I would imagine he'll rejoin a Spanish team, and he'll move back over to Spain to bring up his kid.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Reading between the lines, he is very grateful, but is saying goodbye to the club, such a shame. I would imagine he'll rejoin a Spanish team, and he'll move back over to Spain to bring up his kid.

Why? I think there's a good chance he'll come back. He MUST otherwise a grown man will cry.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
This. If we have an option to sign him for another season, do it now. Why are we pissing about?
Our club comes before his baby. At least if he signs we could get some decent cash if Reading do come sniffing.

What's the point of keeping someone here who doesn't want to be? What is this obsession with Reading wanting him as well. There is a 0% chance of him going there. If he stays in England it'll be with us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here