Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***** VERY IMPORTANT WARNING: Adult content on NSC

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
erm...I did suggest one thread was unsuitable a couple of days ago

he says smugly

Indeed. Yet you freely posted in the beautiful ladies thread which contained far worse than nipples :facepalm:

Still this thread duly noted. Although Google are being very high handed, when they dish filth up on demand!

Another vote for a £1 per month charge, ditch all the ads.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The ones who would pay are the ones who know what they're getting. This would be fine short/medium term, but would likely stagnate future growth of the website as newbies wouldn't be encouraged to have a look round and see before joining. That said, I'm not sure what the long term plans are for the website

Good point, well made

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Is there any way we can sweep search through to find and delete any nsfw photos?

Perhaps people should start volunteering to search through the site and report?

Why the Hell should we delete something that was present way before bloody Google starting streaming their ads?

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The ones who would pay are the ones who know what they're getting. This would be fine short/medium term, but would likely stagnate future growth of the website as newbies wouldn't be encouraged to have a look round and see before joining. That said, I'm not sure what the long term plans are for the website

Maybe free to browse but posting rights would be given to full members. Could be worth trialling. Everyone can afford a £1!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Fair enough about the adult content for a simple life.

But let's be serious, NSC isn't going to shut down. There are plenty of other ways to generate revenue other than Google Ads, and if it came to it, there are many on this site who would be prepared to donate a few quid a season to keep the site running.

But it could shut down. And I am sure there are a few that would be prepared to donate to keep the board running by why should they pay so that others get it free?

This board should be free for everyone or everyone should pay a susbscription fee. There should be no in between.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
How about an NSC "1901 club" or similar? It remains free for the majority, but some people can pay a premium for extra fancy add-ons. They might, for example, get priority for the Club/Players dinner at the end of the season or, if NSC makes enough, a separate night out at the Amex. Or any other suggestions people might have. Or the right to be a moderator (no, I'm not serious on this bit).

I do however much favour the keep it clean and keep it free option...

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
The subscription idea has been suggested many times before and has always been rejected on the basis that it will create all sorts of additional problems.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I suggested something similar earlier, but if we charged (even just £1) you'd see a large drop in subscriptions, but still, even with 3,000 you have something potentially viable.

I personally would pay £1 per month, but I'm sure there are loads that wouldn't, and I suspect Bozza wants to keep it free.

Another vote for a £1 per month charge, ditch all the ads.

My calculations were £1 a YEAR, not a month.

Google makes NSC approximately £3600 a year.

So we'd need 3600 users, from 11500 users (of which 5821 are active, i.e. regular users), to cover the cost.

If 3600 wouldn't pay £1 a year to be part of NSC, we should just all go home now!

BUT, anyway, as I said, I know it's not as easy as that.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
It's not like they've walked into NSC unwelcome - nothing in life is free, sadly...

Agreed, but if they didn't like what was already there, they should have refused in the first place, not expect people to remove anything they don't approve of.

Censorship anyone??

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004

So we'd need 3600 users, from 11500 users (of which 5821 are active, i.e. regular users). To cover the cost.

If 3600 wouldn't pay £1 a year to be part of NSC, we should just all go home now!

I'd pay a tenner a year just to keep Google off here!!

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
It's a good shout, not sure how feasible it is though. Ultimately it's Bozza's call, as many have said though this possible change can be used to enhance and improve NSC, it shouldn't be viewed completely negatively.

[MENTION=1836]TonyW[/MENTION] - I understand your point, but are the images worth the drop in revenue? Really?

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
It's a good shout, not sure how feasible it is though. Ultimately it's Bozza's call, as many have said though this possible change can be used to enhance and improve NSC, it shouldn't be viewed completely negatively.

[MENTION=1836]TonyW[/MENTION] - I understand your point, but are the images worth the drop in revenue? Really?

Absolutely, yes they are.
Its not just a few dodgy snaps, its the whole principle.
You can't post this, or that, just in case some Google plonker decides its inappropriate.

Unacceptible to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
From all the research I've done in the past, no-one comes close to Google Adsense for revenue generation.

I really don't like the 'delete it all' idea. Sure, some idiotic bounces happen, but in the main bounces happen because something/someone etc has become current again.

And among those 4m posts are some absolute gems that, as an example, document the fight for Falmer.

And, removing all that content could cost NSC in terms of revenue. Every hour of every day, people arrive at NSC from search engines having searched for all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff. Those visits earn us money too. If we remove gigabytes of data, those people won't come here any more. Or not in such volume anyway.

But an idea might be to archive off everything old to a page Google can't view and then allow a large group of trusted NSC users moderating access to that archive such that they can view threads, clean if required, and move back to the Big Board when appropriate and slowly re-build up the history again.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

So we'd need 3600 users, from 11500 users (of which 5821 are active, i.e. regular users), to cover the cost.

Would an NSC poll be an effective way to measure support for this idea?

Not sure how tax works on a subscription to an internet forum (i.e a service)?

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
From all the research I've done in the past, no-one comes close to Google Adsense for revenue generation.

I really don't like the 'delete it all' idea. Sure, some idiotic bounces happen, but in the main bounces happen because something/someone etc has become current again.

And among those 4m posts are some absolute gems that, as an example, document the fight for Falmer.

And, removing all that content could cost NSC in terms of revenue. Every hour of every day, people arrive at NSC from search engines having searched for all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff. Those visits earn us money too. If we remove gigabytes of data, those people won't come here any more. Or not in such volume anyway.

But an idea might be to archive off everything old to a page Google can't view and then allow a large group of trusted NSC users moderating access to that archive such that they can view threads, clean if required, and move back to the Big Board when appropriate and slowly re-build up the history again.

Great idea, what are the timescales involved in moving all the data into archive? Can it be done quickly?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
But it could shut down. And I am sure there are a few that would be prepared to donate to keep the board running by why should they pay so that others get it free?

This board should be free for everyone or everyone should pay a susbscription fee. There should be no in between.

I think there should most certainly be an inbetween:

1. The site would lose of a lot of posters if everyone had to pay a subscription fee, which would be to the detriment of the forum.
2. A lot of first-time users of the board would be put off coming back because if they cannot see the board, how do they know whether it's worth paying for a subscription?
3. We would have next to zero away fans posting.
4. Not everyone users NSC on a daily basis. There are those who only use it occasionally, and those who don't actually post anything, and so not everyone would be getting the same value for money.

You could pay say £10 a season for a membership+ of sorts, giving you access to additional benefits, such as an ad-free NSC, different templates, etc.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If you got 500 people to pay I'd be amazed.

"It's only a quid, mine won't be missed, everyone else will do it."

Users paying/donating is, for me at least, an absolute last resort.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here