Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***** VERY IMPORTANT WARNING: Adult content on NSC

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Google's terms state:

As stated in our program policies, AdSense publishers are not permitted to place Google ads on pages with adult or mature content. In addition to photos and videos which contain nudity or sexual activities, below are some other examples of unacceptable content:

* Lewd or provocative images
* Crude or indecent language, including adult stories
* Sexual tips or advice
* Sexual fetish sites (e.g. foot fetish content)
* Adult toys or products
* Ads or links to external sites containing adult content
* Adult links and/or adult keywords within the meta data in the source code of your site

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We might have 1 chance to say to Google "we've cleaned up our act", take a look. And if they're being kind we might get a second chance. There is no room for negotiation here.

So, I think the steps are quite clear...

1. Try and crowd source a clean-up of stuff on here. Search for stuff like nsfw, norks, tits, topless etc etc. Report all threads that might be dodgy - be cautious and report anything if in doubt.
2. Mods remove all.
3. Stress very loudly to all what is and isn't acceptable.
4. Zero tolerance for any future offenders - one strike and you're out.
5. Bolster mod numbers to increase the chances of noticing bad content and having someone on hand to deal with post reports.

Do all of the above very publicly on the board so I can demonstrate our steps to Google, crossing my fingers as I do so.

Honestly, I'd just delete everything bar current threads, and start again. Who actually looks at anything more than a few months old anyway, except to try and be smart and prove somebody wrong?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't know anything about your websites but I know that none of them will have the same demands as NSC which generates massive resource demands through the SQL processing required to serve, on occasion, over 2000 concurrent users from a database of many tens of millions of rows.

Large vBulletin instances are very costly to host if you want a snappy site that can deal with spikes in demand without crumbling.
I'll echo that. The organisation I work for hosts websites and databases as well as designing and developing them. They charge users 6-8k a year for hosting alone and tbh I don't think any of the databases are quite as large or as busy as NSCs. Like NSC the users demand instant access and instant results, available 24/7 and consequently are prepared to pay.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Honestly, I'd just delete everything bar current threads, and start again. Who actually looks at anything more than a few months old anyway, except to try and be smart and prove somebody wrong?

I'd go with archiving, on a completely separate server somewhere, if only because it'd be fascinating (to some geeks, such as me) in years and years to come. But in principle, absolutely, why not?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
When are Google gonna clean up their search engine then?
You see a lot worse on there.

Fred Oliver - Legend

Jul 20, 2005
Valley Park

i agree, it takes 60 seconds between being able to report each dodgy post, just delete the lot and start over all fresh and new!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I agree with the option to remove old posts

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I don't know anything about your websites but I know that none of them will have the same demands as NSC which generates massive resource demands through the SQL processing required to serve, on occasion, over 2000 concurrent users from a database of many tens of millions of rows.

Large vBulletin instances are very costly to host if you want a snappy site that can deal with spikes in demand without crumbling.

Fair enough. I host some pretty resource-hungry apps but you're right in thinking they don't often see as many concurrent users or DB connections as NSC.

That said, there are some very good server packages out there that don't charge for bandwidth, with good SLAs.

Happy to help you with the move, if it happens!

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Ditch Google, and start charging people. Kill two birds with one stone. 1) We can keep nudity, 2) it might prevent trolls / spammers / etc. from joining.

Google brings in approximately £300pm, so £3600pa.

NSC currently has 5800 active users. Charge them all £1pa, which I'd imagine the majority would be happy to do, and you're sorted :thumbsup:

I do of course appreciate it's not as easy as that...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
erm...I did suggest one thread was unsuitable a couple of days ago

he says smugly

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Without wishing to turn this into a Q&A session for you Bozza, have any affects of Tapatalk on advertising been noticable yet? I know you said that it won't generate the income as logging onto the normal site and would be interesting to know if you have any stats produced yet showing how great the drop in revenue might be

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Without wishing to turn this into a Q&A session for you Bozza, have any affects of Tapatalk on advertising been noticable yet? I know you said that it won't generate the income as logging onto the normal site and would be interesting to know if you have any stats produced yet showing how great the drop in revenue might be

Current revenue (from Google) is running at record high levels because of the extra ads I've put on the site - some of which you've probably not even noticed.

As such, Tapatalk usage is a non-issue.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Ditch Google, and start charging people. Kill two birds with one stone. 1) We can keep nudity, 2) it might prevent trolls / spammers / etc. from joining.

Google brings in approximately £300pm, so £3600pa.

NSC currently has 5800 active users. Charge them all £1pa, which I'd imagine the majority would be happy to do, and you're sorted :thumbsup:

I do of course appreciate it's not as easy as that...

I suggested something similar earlier, but if we charged (even just £1) you'd see a large drop in subscriptions, but still, even with 3,000 you have something potentially viable.

I personally would pay £1 per month, but I'm sure there are loads that wouldn't, and I suspect Bozza wants to keep it free.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Allowing Google to dictate to you what you can and can't have on YOUR forum is totally unacceptible.

Given the number of views this site recieves each day, it would be a very simple process to obtain advertising from an alternative source to that odious American, power-mad bunch.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I suggested something similar earlier, but if we charged (even just £1) you'd see a large drop in subscriptions, but still, even with 3,000 you have something potentially viable.

I personally would pay £1 per month, but I'm sure there are loads that wouldn't, and I suspect Bozza wants to keep it free.

The ones who would pay are the ones who know what they're getting. This would be fine short/medium term, but would likely stagnate future growth of the website as newbies wouldn't be encouraged to have a look round and see before joining. That said, I'm not sure what the long term plans are for the website

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Fair enough about the adult content for a simple life.

But let's be serious, NSC isn't going to shut down. There are plenty of other ways to generate revenue other than Google Ads, and if it came to it, there are many on this site who would be prepared to donate a few quid a season to keep the site running.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Allowing Google to dictate to you what you can and can't have on YOUR forum is totally unacceptible.

Given the number of views this site recieves each day, it would be a very simple process to obtain advertising from an alternative source to that odious American, power-mad bunch.

I think a lot of online advertising agencies object to adult content...

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I'd go with archiving, on a completely separate server somewhere, if only because it'd be fascinating (to some geeks, such as me) in years and years to come. But in principle, absolutely, why not?

I agree with this - archiving rather than bulk deletion of old posts. Otherwise it would be like deleting part of Albion (fans) history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here