Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***** VERY IMPORTANT WARNING: Adult content on NSC

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Perhaps people can take a bit of personal responsibility here. If you know you've posted a gash shot, or something you'd consider NSFW, then search your posts and report it yourself so the mods can then delete it.

Obviously you're not going to remember EVERYTHING, but at least this way maybe some of the more recent stuff can get binned. And thats a start.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can I suggest that if you want this type of thing then go to the NSP wank bank. Hosting fees are about £1 a month as next to no one posts there any more, but there are some 'interesting' films featured.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can you please remind me of why you're paying more per month than I pay per year for a reseller server that hosts around forty web sites?

I may be wrong, but it sounds to me like you're on the wrong hosting package, or with the wrong hosting company.

I don't know anything about your websites but I know that none of them will have the same demands as NSC which generates massive resource demands through the SQL processing required to serve, on occasion, over 2000 concurrent users from a database of many tens of millions of rows.

Large vBulletin instances are very costly to host if you want a snappy site that can deal with spikes in demand without crumbling.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Damn, what a nightmare
Bozza, can I ask what it is about NSC that causes the high hosting fees? is it the bandwidth taken or discspace or processor speed of server needed to keep things moving, or a combination of all three?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I don't see the banning of this sort of stuff as any great loss to NSC.

I completely agree. It's not like it's difficult to find elsewhere on the web, and if you need to chat to Albion fans about it, join NSP.

New era, new division, new stadium, new NSC - not only with new fangled features like tagging but a family friendly place to be. Win-win :)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Do they have any guidelines as to what constitutes 'Adult Content' Bozza?

Clearly pop shots, scat and pan handles are out, and images of Emma Watson (clothed) are okay, but where realistically is the threshold?

Image search on Google can be with Adult filter on or off. Do a search with it off and then re-search with it on. Should give you a good feel for what they consider to be Adult.

It's quite a grey area though.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Damn, what a nightmare
Bozza, can I ask what it is about NSC that causes the high hosting fees? is it the bandwidth taken or discspace or processor speed of server needed to keep things moving, or a combination of all three?

Not bandwidth (although we use a LOT), not disk but processing. 2000 people reading and posting uses a lot of processing behind the scenes.

Cheaper is available, I know that. But remember we used to have a lot cheaper and the site would crumble anywhere above 250 users. Now, the site doesn't miss a beat if we have 2000.

I am investigating cheaper hosting, a large dedicated NSC box (we're currently in Rackspace's Cloud - almost unlimited resources) but given the pains of a move, I'll only do it if and when I'm absolutely sure that we move somewhere that can cope with NSC's peak demands. There is no point having a football discussion community that can't cope when something big happens in or around the football club. People want to talk about it NOW, not when the hubbub dies down.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
It's quite a grey area though.

Not for us no, we need zero tollerance until we can be sure they dont pull the plug on us. Might I suggest we disable the Avatars temporarily?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I completely agree. It's not like it's difficult to find elsewhere on the web, and if you need to chat to Albion fans about it, join NSP.

New era, new division, new stadium, new NSC - not only with new fangled features like tagging but a family friendly place to be. Win-win :)
this.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Not for us no, we need zero tollerance until we can be sure they dont pull the plug on us. Might I suggest we disable the Avatars temporarily?

Good shout. Will the new photo tool make it easier for the mods to go through and remove photos? Should we organise a big cleanup or is there not an awful lot us joe bloggs can do to help?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We might have 1 chance to say to Google "we've cleaned up our act", take a look. And if they're being kind we might get a second chance. There is no room for negotiation here.

So, I think the steps are quite clear...

1. Try and crowd source a clean-up of stuff on here. Search for stuff like nsfw, norks, tits, topless etc etc. Report all threads that might be dodgy - be cautious and report anything if in doubt.
2. Mods remove all.
3. Stress very loudly to all what is and isn't acceptable.
4. Zero tolerance for any future offenders - one strike and you're out.
5. Bolster mod numbers to increase the chances of noticing bad content and having someone on hand to deal with post reports.

Do all of the above very publicly on the board so I can demonstrate our steps to Google, crossing my fingers as I do so.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Not bandwidth (although we use a LOT), not disk but processing. 2000 people reading and posting uses a lot of processing behind the scenes.

Cheaper is available, I know that. But remember we used to have a lot cheaper and the site would crumble anywhere above 250 users. Now, the site doesn't miss a beat if we have 2000.

I am investigating cheaper hosting, a large dedicated NSC box (we're currently in Rackspace's Cloud - almost unlimited resources) but given the pains of a move, I'll only do it if and when I'm absolutely sure that we move somewhere that can cope with NSC's peak demands. There is no point having a football discussion community that can't cope when something big happens in or around the football club. People want to talk about it NOW, not when the hubbub dies down.

Bozza, thanks for your response. I see what you mean. I have various dedicated, reseller and VPS hosting packages over the years for customers of mine, but they don't get anywhere near that number of concurrent connections, which as you say, is key.

We could, if push came to shove, ask for donations to keep NSC going, I'd be happy to donate a few quid up front, and we could even consider a subscription service, even at £1 per month per user would stop all the tyre kickers and would help keep funds going. Just an idea. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

cheers
Mark

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Totally agree. Wasn't suggesting we push the limits in any way. Zero tolerance and keep NSC.

I thought you might, just wanted to make the point!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here