Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Very important points on saturday

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
They are probably one of the poorer and least ambitious clubs in the division, so this is the sort of team we need to be beating if we don't want to struggle this season.
It will be a good indication of our abilities, Donny are no mugs but are hardly likely to set the league on fire.

They've got a reputation for playing good football and being hard to beat, giving a lot of the top sides a run for their money. They did lose their way last season with injuries etc but were mid-table the two seasons before that. I don't think not beating them would be an indication that we will struggle.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Impossible to predict. Too many differences from last season... for both sides.... and I dont mean players. We still have 9 out injured (6 regular first teamers) and 3 new players will almost certainly start. Dont know how they will gel.
Its true though, that our position last season didnt reflect our ability when we have a reasonably fit squad.
SOD said on local radio last night that last season, since Christmas, he was having to throw on players who just were'nt fit. Sometimes you get away with it, but more often than not, you dont. This led to even more long term injuries and some really strange line ups, with loads playing out of position.
At Grimsby on friday, we started knocking it about again... admittedly aginst a BSP side, but nice to see us getting back to what we're good at, nevertheless.
Line up, I think, will be: Sullivan, Spurr, Friend, Naylor, Hird, Gillett, Oster, Bennett, Mason, Coppinger, Sharp. Subs: Wood, Dumbaya, Brown, Hayter, Baxendale.
Very, very tough game, but we can do it if everything come together. SOD says being favourites for relegation will galvanise us, like it did last time, when we won the league!
Here's hoping!
C'mon you red and white wizards!!!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
They've got a reputation for playing good football and being hard to beat, giving a lot of the top sides a run for their money. They did lose their way last season with injuries etc but were mid-table the two seasons before that. I don't think not beating them would be an indication that we will struggle.

Opening day results are hard to read into but we need to start our new home on the front foot and as has been mentioned we have 2 tough trips to Pompey and Cardiff after sat so it wouldn't be inconceivable to get 0 points from those. Doncaster is a bloody hard game. They will have a go and fancy themselves. Dangerous. We need to be on it and step up

Money on 2 - 2 as a cover bet for me

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
They are probably one of the poorer and least ambitious clubs in the division, so this is the sort of team we need to be beating if we don't want to struggle this season.
It will be a good indication of our abilities, Donny are no mugs but are hardly likely to set the league on fire.

Dont get carried away by an ignorant media.... keeping hold of our best players, like turning down £3.25 m for Shrpy, and bringing in the likes of Brown, shows that we have ambition. We just cant throw cash around like many others. But having a team that gels is more important than just splashing the cash. Even if we lose on Sat I fully expect us to be near the play-offs... like we were up to The Christmas Injury Disaster last time.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Donny are no mugs and like someone said they really think they are going to beat us.We need to be 100% focused which i'm sure we will be.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Donny are no mugs and like someone said they really think they are going to beat us.We need to be 100% focused which i'm sure we will be.

There's a big difference between thinking we're GOING to beat you, and thinking we CAN beat you. All I'm saying is that I expect us to get back on track this season, and when we do, we can take anybody apart... ask Norwich, for instance.
As I say, too many unknowns to predict Saturdays result, but most people who dont know any better are looking at poor little Donny and saying we might as well not turn up this season... just as we like it!
"We're just a pub team from Yorkshire and we're havin' a laff!"
"Top of the league and we're havin' a laff!"
Makes you feel really up for it again!

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Donny are a really good team - Not an accurate representation of their team in where they finished last season. I fully expect a very tough match and wouldn't be surprised if we lost. Of course, wouldn't be surprised if we won either :lolol:

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Donny are a really good team - Not an accurate representation of their team in where they finished last season. I fully expect a very tough match and wouldn't be surprised if we lost. Of course, wouldn't be surprised if we won either :lolol:

I'm totally with you on that one.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Ok Einstien... get your point. But when you pummel a shit house you usually get covered with shit. FACT.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not getting carried away, but we've waited so long for this moment I can't see anything other than a Brighton masterclass.....sorry Doncaster but your going to be the patsy's to our Globetrotters.

:amex:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
O'Driscoll is a good coach, and preaches much the same sort of football as Gus. Only with no Uruguayan flair, and delivered in a sleep-inducing West Midlands monotone. They have done a few decent Championship teams in the past couple of years, I rate them as dangerous, and a very good early test of where we are.

Isn't it their chairman who made his money from boob jobs?

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Yes he is. Lifelong fan too. I was stood near him in our last league game before relegation. Just an ordinary bloke on the Pop side.
Saved our club, no doubt.
Spoke to him at the Palace game last season, when he came to stand on the Kop. Still as fanatical.
Others may have more money, but I wouldnt swap him for the world.
Same for SOD... not one to hog the media, but if you listen carefully to him he just speaks common sense. Straight as a die, and no South American flair at all... he leaves that to his teams.
Beware the Sodmeister.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If the pundits are right, Donny Rovers relegation battle starts on Saturday. Every point and goal counts.

I think there may be three teams worse or unluckier than them.

PS: I expect half the Division to be involved in the relegation fight. Points given away carelessly in August might count at the end of the season. "If only he had not missed the penalty" "Hey ref, that was never a penalty"

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here