Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Van La Parra . . . Should we make a bid?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm not convinced.

Pros: has a good cross in him, knows where the goal is as we've found out, has pace.
Cons: gives the ball away 50% of the time, not the best at defending.

I don't think he'd make the step up, I guess it depends on what other options we have once the window opens.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nope too lightweight, and as previously said he doesn't appear to understand tracking back to cover Bruno, which is affecting Burno's effectiveness as it's leaving him exposed.

Too much blame for VLP there, perhaps you should question Bruno's defending, after all he is the RB?

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
I'd get him in but I still think we need another winger too. With March out for the season, and LuaLua being injury prone we need more depth.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd get him in but I still think we need another winger too. With March out for the season, and LuaLua being injury prone we need more depth.
Pretty much this.

I wonder how that Iranian chap is doing..

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have not been paying attention to the DS games recently - has Harper been playing? Whilst he is not a winger, these injuries do potentially leave an opportunity for him if CH thinks he can do a job there and he is fit. Elvis needs to be given a go as well at some point.

Is the expectation that the development squad will eventually give us first team players, because it appears that whenever we need players, we run off to the loan or transfer market?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Is the expectation that the development squad will eventually give us first team players, because it appears that whenever we need players, we run off to the loan or transfer market?

Well quite. In Harper's case especially, he was supposed to get fit, play a few DS games then be knocking on the door of the first team. Monakana is another who we seem to have had at the club for ages, been out on loan numerous times, but has never got near the first team squad. We also have Tilley, the "Icelandic wonderkid" and several others who are supposed to be good prospects. I say give them a chance before splashing more cash.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well quite. In Harper's case especially, he was supposed to get fit, play a few DS games then be knocking on the door of the first team. Monakana is another who we seem to have had at the club for ages, been out on loan numerous times, but has never got near the first team squad. We also have Tilley, the "Icelandic wonderkid" and several others who are supposed to be good prospects. I say give them a chance before splashing more cash.
I suspect we'll get the games with Brentford, Ipswich and Wolves out of the way and then take a good look at Harper etc. in the cup game v Hull.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The Icelandic wonderkid has returned to Iceland, no longer part of the club.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I suspect we'll get the games with Brentford, Ipswich and Wolves out of the way and then take a good look at Harper etc. in the cup game v Hull.

I hope so. We also have JFC who I am sure could do a reasonable job playing the Rosenior role on the left with Murphy on the right. I know he splits opinion, but he has to be worth a go as well.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Certainly with the likes of Harper and Hambo, we will be giving them a chance, but I don't think it was ever likely to be until next season. Neither have really featured for the development squad yet either.

Both are still comparitively young, and completely untested at Championship level, and Harper has been out of the game injured for a considerable time too.

Unfair to toss them into the hurly-burly of the Championship for a while yet.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Icelandic wonderkid has returned to Iceland, no longer part of the club.
I thought he was there on loan until the 31st Dec, and then still under contract to us until June ?

Maybe I've missed the latest news.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Certainly with the likes of Harper and Hambo, we will be giving them a chance, but I don't think it was ever likely to be until next season. Neither have really featured for the development squad yet either.

Both are still comparitively young, and completely untested at Championship level, and Harper has been out of the game injured for a considerable time too.

The impression given when they signed, certainly in Harper's case, was that they would be pushing for first team spots by Xmas. Perhaps injuries has curtailed that somewhat, but I hope that our league position is also not going to stop their progression.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

Hambo is out injured, had an operation the other day.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
The impression given when they signed, certainly in Harper's case, was that they would be pushing for first team spots by Xmas. Perhaps injuries has curtailed that somewhat, but I hope that our league position is also not going to stop their progression.

Harper has just scored for the DS against Fulham.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

Harper has been playing a lot for the U21s and getting quite a few 90 mins under his belt. I should hope that he will be ready to play for the 1st team sooner rather than later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here