Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Vaccine passport required to enter Amex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Last winter, last winter. Why not compare something more apple for apple, this summer vs last summer?

If you like.

Compared with last summer we have manyfold more cases and many fold more deaths :shrug:

I originally thought Covid is seasonal but it seems not to be. Or at least not simply seasonal. Around the world it varies. In Japan peaks have been in May, August, January, May and August, with the last peak massively bigger.

The only fact here is that it is not clear that it is yet under control and I think we agree about that.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I’m curious. What issue do you have with showing your medical status? It will either show your vaccinated or not. Nothing more sinister or sensitive than that!

I'm against it on principle. I don't agree that my medical information is the business of anyone else.
I think its a move towards an authoritarian state.
Showing papers to go to the theatre etc.. This was called a conspiracy theory just a few months ago.

There are protests across the world about this. Have you seen what is happening in France with the protesters eating picnics outside restaurants.
I don't agree with discrimination against people whom for whatever reason don't want the jab.

I also don't think it works. There seems very little (if any) evidence that they stop the spread of the virus.
The Boardmasters and Reading Festivals were both passport events but had huge COVID spikes.

What you define as not sinister is not necessarily my definition.
I respect your view point is different to mine.
I hope you understand at least some of the points I'm making, even if you disagree with them

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
My sympathies.

Mrs T is up there (not as bad as you), and has been known to punch doctors rather than receive an injection. She has managed to get two covid jabs though, thanks to an amazing nurse. Not looking and not realising when it was happening did the trick. It will be pandemonium when the next jab is required but I'm optimistic she'll get through it. If there happens to be a daddylonglegs flying about in the surgery when she turns up however, people will be punched.

And, total respect for your stance :bowdown:

:lolol:

Trust me, the last thing I need is to be charged with assaulting a medical professional, although I fully empathise with Mrs T.
If she needs help with daddy longlegs, I'm your man - I like the crazy-flying things, however, spiders are a whole different beastie. :)

Also, thanks for the understanding - it's a real pain to know that I'll be missing out, at least for a while, but I have no axe to grind with the measures that are being taken.

I just hope it's not too long before an alternative method is deemed safe and workable.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I don't agree with discrimination against people whom for whatever reason don't want the jab.

Of course it should be pointed out that this scheme, as with the Amex, does not require the vaccination but will also allow for proof of a negative test or proof of recovery in lieu of the vaccination, so there is no requirement to be jabbed.

Not wading in to this conversation but facts matter.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Of course it should be pointed out that this scheme, as with the Amex, does not require the vaccination but will also allow for proof of a negative test or proof of recovery in lieu of the vaccination, so there is no requirement to be jabbed.

Not wading in to this conversation but facts matter.

Does it? Can I go to the Amex and state that I've already had COVID and gain entry?

I think the Government bill they are trying to get through for nightclubs does not allow someone to show a LFT?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Does it? Can I go to the Amex and state that I've already had COVID and gain entry?

I think the Government bill they are trying to get through for nightclubs does not allow someone to show a LFT?

You'd still be required to provide proof of that (I don't know what, I've never looked into it), and the comment I saw about it the other day suggested it did.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
:lolol:

Trust me, the last thing I need is to be charged with assaulting a medical professional, although I fully empathise with Mrs T.
If she needs help with daddy longlegs, I'm your man - I like the crazy-flying things, however, spiders are a whole different beastie. :)

Also, thanks for the understanding - it's a real pain to know that I'll be missing out, at least for a while, but I have no axe to grind with the measures that are being taken.

I just hope it's not too long before an alternative method is deemed safe and workable.

Fair play to you for understanding the reasons we as a society need the protection of mass vaccination, even if it is immensely difficult for you. It certainly puts the attitudes of the ‘don’t tell me what to do’ brigade in perspective. I don’t know whether you are looking for solutions but have you tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) ? Needle phobia can be overcome.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Fair play to you for understanding the reasons we as a society need the protection of mass vaccination, even if it is immensely difficult for you. It certainly puts the attitudes of the ‘don’t tell me what to do’ brigade in perspective. I don’t know whether you are looking for solutions but have you tried Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) ? Needle phobia can be overcome.

I absolutely love it when people use 'brigade' :clap2:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit

I've tried so many things, and would be willing to try even more, as I'm fully aware that my phobia puts my health at risk, as I refuse to attend any kind of tests/treatments that involve needles.
I would happily receive an injection if I were unconscious, but I fear a needle maybe involved in rendering me thus.
I could always supply them with a lump hammer? :)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Excelsior proof of Covid vaccination pass has been in use for some time in New York. It has to be shown to get into most venues; gyms, restaurants, bars, cinemas etc. A lot of people working in those establishments also need to show evidence of at least one vaccination. Most people are in favour of its use but some have said it unfairly discriminates against the unvaccinated - and in NYC a lot of those people are black. Some people expected law suits to be issued against its introduction but nothing so far.

For many years people have had to show proof of vaccination against diseases such as yellow fever, meningitis, hep B etc to travel to some countries so not sure why Covid should be any different.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Why ? If you needed them everywhere then you would also have to show them at the football. A glass half full reading would be that it is a bonus for you that there are some things you can do without masks, passports etc.

As I said further up, I’m not against them completely if they are done properly.

This isn’t doing them properly, this is targeting a certain group of people.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As I said further up, I’m not against them completely if they are done properly.

This isn’t doing them properly, this is targeting a certain group of people.

By "certain group of people" do you mean football fans or the unvaccinated?

If it's football fans then the reason for me bouncing this thread was because it will not just be football fans in the very near future but any large indoor event.

If it's the unvaccinated then that's the whole point of them.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021

You can go to the amex if you have a text or email confirming a negative lft. As I understand it the govt covid passport proposal is intended for crowded internal venues. I guess it's possible that the club will consider that they should apply that to the amex concourses.
Frankly I'm pleased that the club is being cautious and putting the safety of many 1st.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
For many years people have had to show proof of vaccination against diseases such as yellow fever, meningitis, hep B etc to travel to some countries so not sure why Covid should be any different.

This for me is the exactly the crux of the matter.
If you are travelling I don't have a problem, its about the everyday.
It's about going about ones business like watching sport, having a meal, theatre, gym without the intervention of the state.

In this country we have never had ID cards, unlike many other countries and I'd like that to continue.

I know in the States the ID card is a norm and when in New York I was often asked to show it when going to bars.

I understand many if not most people don't give a shit but I do. I wish I bloody didn't but I do

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
By "certain group of people" do you mean football fans or the unvaccinated?

If it's football fans then the reason for me bouncing this thread was because it will not just be football fans in the very near future but any large indoor event.

If it's the unvaccinated then that's the whole point of them.

Events that are mainly attended by younger people.

If its the whole point of them they would be everywhere, they are not.

There is a whole load of activities with a higher risk than football.

I dunno why you are against showing them to get on the train etc, as you say - they already have our data.
It’s a fudge.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Events that are mainly attended by younger people.

If its the whole point of them they would be everywhere, they are not.

There is a whole load of activities with a higher risk than football.

I dunno why you are against showing them to get on the train etc, as you say - they already have our data.
It’s a fudge.

You've made the case for them in the first sentence there. Take up is lower in that group. This is not a panacea. It's pour encourager les autres

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You've made the case for them in the first sentence there. Take up is lower in that group. This is not a panacea. It's pour encourager les autres

I literally said I’m my first post, I’m not against them.
But this isn’t doing properly at all, this is a mess.

Seems you are happy to take a half arsed approach with holes in it.

Even if you want to encourage it still doesn’t make sense as you will still be able to do most things.

Encouragement would say you need a daily/weekly negative test or a passport to do anything.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
This for me is the exactly the crux of the matter.
If you are travelling I don't have a problem, its about the everyday.
It's about going about ones business like watching sport, having a meal, theatre, gym without the intervention of the state.

In this country we have never had ID cards, unlike many other countries and I'd like that to continue.

I know in the States the ID card is a norm and when in New York I was often asked to show it when going to bars.

I understand many if not most people don't give a shit but I do. I wish I bloody didn't but I do

In New York you are not actually required to carry ID but it just makes life easier. After 9/11 it is understandable that you should have proof of ID. I just got used to carrying it as you would not get access to office blocks without it, and I'm guessing that this is the same in places like London where the risk of terrorism is high. I really don't have a problem with carrying ID but I can also understand that many people are opposed to the compulsory carrying of ID. However, terrorism and COVID are not going away anytime soon and neither is the issue of proof of ID and vaccination

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
In New York you are not actually required to carry ID but it just makes life easier. After 9/11 it is understandable that you should have proof of ID. I just got used to carrying it as you would not get access to office blocks without it, and I'm guessing that this is the same in places like London where the risk of terrorism is high. I really don't have a problem with carrying ID but I can also understand that many people are opposed to the compulsory carrying of ID. However, terrorism and COVID are not going away anytime soon and neither is the issue of proof of ID and vaccination

Yep. The process for getting office passes for Canary Wharf is (or at least was when I did it) thorough and a bit of a PITA.

When I lived in Taipei and Tokyo I had to have an Alien Resident Card that I carried around everywhere. Was never once asked for it apart from at the airport. And, as I keep repeating on this thread, that was a lot less invasive than what phones, tablets or laptops do these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here