Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Use of the word "******"

junior said:
Free speach and all that:shootself
This isn't about free speech. It's about you starting a thread with a view to justifying some opinion or other that you hold, but won't express clearly.

If you think this moderator will bite, then I regret to tell you that I won't.

Dublin for choice, btw - although Belfast has plenty to offer as well.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Lord Bracknell said:
This isn't about free speech. It's about you starting a thread with a view to justifying some opinion or other that you hold, but won't express clearly.

If you think this moderator will bite, then I regret to tell you that I won't.

Dublin for choice, btw - although Belfast has plenty to offer as well.
:dunce:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
A thread with a more PC title on the same subject was on here about six months ago. General concensus - blacks use it to 'disempower' the word, not acceptable for whites to use it though.

Back to Ireland, has anyone on here ever visited the Falls/Shankhill Roads or other areas of historic sectarian conflict in N. Ire, or are they 'off limits' to tourists?

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Cheeky Monkey said:
A thread with a more PC title on the same subject was on here about six months ago. General concensus - blacks use it to 'disempower' the word, not acceptable for whites to use it though.

Back to Ireland, has anyone on here ever visited the Falls/Shankhill Roads or other areas of historic sectarian conflict in N. Ire, or are they 'off limits' to tourists?

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: I visit them everyday.Not as a tourist though:eek: :eek:

In actual fact,they are not "off limits" to tourists,but i wouldnt want to take a wander around up there.You can catch an open top tourist bus,similar to the ones that go round Brighton.

I havent been on it for security reasons,but i would imagine it would be an eye opener.All the murals are still there and are pretty impressive,and you would be shocked to see the conditions of the area in general.

It also goes past the fish shop that was famously blown up a few years ago.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Free speach is as much about the right to be herd.

A lot of blacks do not approve of other blacks calling each other niggers, remember what bill cosby said?

It also depends on the context it is used as well imo.

ASK eniggerma why he disaproves of it .:lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've had this conversation with a very good friend of mine who is from Ghana.

He doesn't really find the word "offensive" (he finds little offensive), but sees it as nothing else than a term of abuse. It's only a word after all, but is historically a term of abuse towards black people. Its hard to think of a context outside of simply discussing the word where it isn't. It has almost without exemption been used alongside other racist abuse or actions, often violent and murderous.

The fact that black American musicians originally tried to "reclaim" the word is irrelevent. Whilst they may have used it in an "ironic" sense, all that has done maybe justify racists to continue to use it "because black people use it..."

I recall he thought that trying to reclaim the word was misguided.

Interestingly, he finds strange the fact the word "paki" is seen as a term of abuse, since it is literally an abbreviation of "Pakistan".

However I explained, it has become (within my lifetime, as opposed to the N word) a term of abuse, usually prefixed with the F word.

Words hurt I'm afraid,

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Funnily enough the last time I heard that word it was from a couple of black women I was working with. hey said exactly this:- 'There are decent black people and there are niggers'. Now I didn't solicit that answer they said to me about one of their friends (who was white) had been mugged.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
bhaexpress said:
Funnily enough the last time I heard that word it was from a couple of black women I was working with. hey said exactly this:- 'There are decent black people and there are niggers'. Now I didn't solicit that answer they said to me about one of their friends (who was white) had been mugged.

Although probably not your intention, the problem with anecdotes like that is that readers assume that it is in common use amoungst black people and therefore an okay word to use.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
clapham_gull said:
Although probably not your intention, the problem with anecdotes like that is that readers assume that it is in common use amoungst black people and therefore an okay word to use.

Maybe but these two ladies concerned were both well spoken and obviously from what used to be called a 'middle class' background. They lived in the Enfield area as I was working at Enfield coucil at the time.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
rogue said:
A couple of people told me to stay away from Cork.They are all Roy Keens there(not friendly)

If going to the republic, the place you need to avoid is Limerick! I know Terry Wogan is from there but they are nutters believe me!

If going to Dublin stay out of Finglas, Walkins town (sp?) and Sheriff Street!

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Where did Mick Adams take the squad to in preseason in Ire?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The Battle was in Longford. However, they have short memories - and are very, very stupid. Less than a third of people in Longford got their GCSE equivalents, for instance... (national average would be in the 90's, I'd guess...)

Sherrif Street is basically non-existant now (literally!) Walkinstown and Finglas have been safe enough for years

Ballymun, Ballyfermot, Tallaght, Neilstown, Jobstown are to avoid. Maybe even Clondalkin. But guess what? Nothing touristy to see there...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
To be honest MYOB I haven't been to Dublin for a few years. I have heard about Tallaght.

Would you agree about Limerick?

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
I personally think the word ****** has absolutlly nothing to do with colour. It is all about attitude and behavour. Mutch like chav. They don't have to be of gypsy stock, just behave like it.
I come into contact with a gang of tilers on the job site from time to time. Hard working, bloody good at their job and a right descent bunch. They are black guys, brothers, an uncle and a son who's learning the trade.
They put it perfectly, "If you don't want to be treated like a ******, don't behave like one"

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
coincidently I seem to remember there being a cheese from Australia called "coon" and the advert went along the lines of "dont come home to a house without coon"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here