Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Use of the word "******"

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Apparantly Galway is the place to go nowadays, but I haven't been since I was a nipper. I don't really know much about Ireland beyond the south, but Cork and Waterford are both pretty good.

Ummm...

Innit, honkies!?

Last edited:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
John Lennon once wrote; "woman is the ****** bof the world" ... but what did he really mean by that?

Lenny Bruce, the 1950s comic, used to pause in his act occasionally to ask, aloud, how many niggers were in the audience.
"I see a ****** over there by the kitchen doors, and there's two niggers talking to each other towards the back.
"How many kikes are in the audience? How many wops?"
He'd end the routine by repeating the word '******' over and over again until it lost all meaning. It became nothing more than a sound.

The word '******' comes from the Latin denigrare, meaning to blacken, which became, in English, the word 'denigrate'. To 'denigrate' a person means, taken literally, to blacken them or by dictionary definition "to cast aspersions on; to deny the importance or validity of". From the same source word 'denigrate', the Spanish came up with the word 'negro', which retained its spelling in English.

'Negro', in other words, in its entomology, does not merely refer to color. It refers to a person upon whom aspersions should be cast; a person we should deny the importance or validity of.

So should we use the word negro?

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Limerick reminds me of the shitty part of southampton but it is improving a lot with lots of redevelopment. I have been going there regularly for two and a half years now and no one has been unfriendly, I haven't been stabbed and haven't got caught in the crossfire of a gangland shootout. I have even walked the streets alone at night in the dark. In a nutshell, it's less intimidating than west street can be. I still wouldn't rate it as a place to spend long in though, yet.

I like Cork though as it reminds me a bit of Brighton for some reason and has a nice atmosphere, not unfriendly at all but doesn't have anywhere near as much to do as in Dublin, alright for a couple of nights though. Easyjet fly to Cork at not bad rates.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Faldo said:
Apparantly Galway is the place to go nowadays, but I haven't been since I was a nipper. I don't really know much about Ireland beyond the south, but Cork and Waterford are both pretty good.

Ummm...

Innit, honkies!?

I have cousins who live in Galway. Great place to go!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Quite Boring :p

Actually, its got a fair few historic monument style thingies (Boyle Abbey, Strokestown House, King House) and gives you pretty good access to the rest of the Whest and the northwest of the country by car for touring.

There seems to me 3 occasions when white people use ****** - the most rarest is the "Lenny Bruce" example quoted by OTLW, where you are trying to disempower the hatred of the world or make a subtle anti-racist point - timing, intelligence and context are everything here though, so ask yourself, are you a genius like Lenny Bruce to really want to try this? :)

The two more common uses are, 1) by those that still harbour racist attitutes and 2) getting more common these days, the "Nathan Barley" use, ie. dim fuckers trying to be clever.

You white "******" users decide which cap fits you best :)

Last edited:

Another vote for Belfast over Dublin here! Limerick has its problems but the waterfront area is very nice for visitors these days given the amount of money being spent on it.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
London Irish said:
There seems to me 3 occasions when white people use ****** - the most rarest is the "Lenny Bruce" example quoted by OTLW, where you are trying to disempower the hatred of the world or make a subtle anti-racist point - timing, intelligence and context are everything here though, so ask yourself, are you a genius like Lenny Bruce to really want to try this? :)

The two more common uses are, 1) by those that still harbour racist attitutes and 2) getting more common these days, the "Nathan Barley" use, ie. dim fuckers trying to be clever.

You white "******" users decide which cap fits you best :)

You forgot discriptive discussion, like this thread.

I was told ****** was a southern corruption of the word negro. Nothing to do with words like Niggardly etc.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
looney said:
You forgot discriptive discussion, like this thread.

I was told ****** was a southern corruption of the word negro. Nothing to do with words like Niggardly etc.

Yes it is, quite right. If you hear a red neck say the word 'negro' it comes out as 'Niggra'.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
chicken run said:
I remember some racists at my school all though years ago charnting jigger jigger jigger shoot the f***ing ******
terrible:nono:

In the distant past in my school days What's black and .... 'jokes' were all the rage. Like What's black and sticky ? Gluey Armstrong was one of the mildest.

Mind you the best was What's Black and White and going down ?

Fulham.

Also, when Clyde Best (one of the first top filght black players) Started at West Ham the chant was 'Zigger, zigger, zigger, West Ham have got a ******'. We have moved of a lot since then.

Last edited:

A bizarre mix of topics on this thread. But on the discussion of re-claiming an offense word, there is now a movement within the Pakistani community to re-claim the word 'Paki'. After all as someone has already said, it is short for Pakistani and should be no more offensive than being called a Brit for example. The problem however is not the word itself, it is the hatred behind the language and the force with which it is hurled. If we can remove the venom then the word will no longer cause pain or offence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here