Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Use of the word "******"

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
hampden park said:
coondensation :p

There's so many answers I could put on that but using the last vestiges of taste I won't :)

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
looney said:
I was told ****** was a southern corruption of the word negro. Nothing to do with words like Niggardly etc.

Pretty well spot on (I knew after a number of years Looney and I would agree on at least one thing) ......

The word '******' comes from the Latin denigrare, meaning to blacken, which became, in English, the word 'denigrate'. To 'denigrate' a person means, taken literally, to blacken them or by dictionary definition "to cast aspersions on; to deny the importance or validity of". From the same source word 'denigrate', the Spanish came up with the word 'negro', which retained its spelling in English.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
On the Left Wing said:
Pretty well spot on (I knew after a number of years Looney and I would agree on at least one thing) ......

The word '******' comes from the Latin denigrare, meaning to blacken, which became, in English, the word 'denigrate'. To 'denigrate' a person means, taken literally, to blacken them or by dictionary definition "to cast aspersions on; to deny the importance or validity of". From the same source word 'denigrate', the Spanish came up with the word 'negro', which retained its spelling in English.

Oh I sit corrected, I've always understood it was the inability of Southern USA people to speak properly and I know I've heard them say that it is but your explanation does make sense.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
bhaexpress said:
Oh I sit corrected, I've always understood it was the inability of Southern USA people to speak properly and I know I've heard them say that it is but your explanation does make sense.

BHAEx
I only knew this one useless piece of information cos I spent three fecking years at Uni (well Poly really) reading 19th Century US history (then spent the next 28 years never using the subject in any way!)

Even then I had to double check the definition on some US prof's website ... but it does come back.

It puts John Lennon's song Woman is the ****** of the World into some sort of context and also why so many black people find the term so wholly offensive.

To be frank it makes terms such as Pakki and Chinky seem quite tame - as they are just foreshortening of nationality terms

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
On the Left Wing said:
BHAEx
I only knew this one useless piece of information cos I spent three fecking years at Uni (well Poly really) reading 19th Century US history (then spent the next 28 years never using the subject in any way!)

Even then I had to double check the definition on some US prof's website ... but it does come back.

It puts John Lennon's song Woman is the ****** of the World into some sort of context and also why so many black people find the term so wholly offensive.

To be frank it makes terms such as Pakki and Chinky seem quite tame - as they are just foreshortening of nationality terms

No arguments here, unlike so many it's clear that you know what you're talking about.

Lokki 7 said:
A bizarre mix of topics on this thread. But on the discussion of re-claiming an offense word, there is now a movement within the Pakistani community to re-claim the word 'Paki'. After all as someone has already said, it is short for Pakistani and should be no more offensive than being called a Brit for example. The problem however is not the word itself, it is the hatred behind the language and the force with which it is hurled. If we can remove the venom then the word will no longer cause pain or offence.
Has anyone EVER heard the word "Paki" to refer neutrally to people of Pakistani origin?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Lord Bracknell said:
Has anyone EVER heard the word "Paki" to refer neutrally to people of Pakistani origin?

Only when buying condoms and under the influence from a corner shop.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Lord Bracknell said:

yep .. Tony Greig uses it quite often in cricket commentaries in Oz and Pakistan .. I know he's a man of Aparthied SA, bit he is a genuine multi-race guy and it's said in innocence and sometimes reverence!

Lord Bracknell said:

I was arranging to meet a client for the first time (in a pub) and asked him what he looked like, he said, "I'm the tallest paki in the city". A very nice bloke.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
On the Left Wing said:

'Chinky' isn't a rascist term coz it's food innit.

And 'paki', that cannot be rascist, why would they call their shops 'paki shops'?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
On the Left Wing said:

Latin for black is nigra. In Germany the oldest town Trier which was founded by the Romans containing an original Roman gate called Porta Nigra

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here