Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****USA V Ghana and Uruguay V South Korea official thread ****

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
:laugh: at big ole US of A losing to a third world country with a less than 30% literacy rate.
This, of course being football, where literacy is a sine qua non...

Each country's got about the same # of players playing at the highest level -- EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga I, etc.... I think that's a fairer comparison standard.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Made up for Ghana. :clap: I thought young Jonathon at centre back was superb again.

Going to be tough against Uruguay though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This, of course being football, where literacy is a sine qua non...

Each country's got about the same # of players playing at the highest level -- EPL, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga I, etc.... I think that's a fairer comparison standard.

Exactly, which is why I fancied Ghana to dump USA out tonight. All that talk of minnows in world cup finals these days is pretty much redundant.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All this "all of Africa" stuff...is it REALLY true that the whole continent is celebrating? I mean there are some pretty fierce rivalries between African nations, particularly the traditionally strong (football-wise) west African countries.

I mean expecting Algeria to celebrate Ghana's win is like us cheering a Serbia or Greece win against a South American country surely?

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
Stepping away from the celebrations for a sec, i've got a query about suspensions.

I thought outstanding yellow cards got wiped at the end of the 1st round, but it seems a couple of Ghanaians are going to be suspended for the QF?

To be honest it makes a certain amount of sense if the 1srt rnd yellows only get wiped after the 2nd rnd, but still, tis not how i thought it was. Thoughts?

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
It shows Group D was arguably the toughest of the lot. I'm glad we didn't play the Ghanians as we probably would've underestimated them. The Germany game will suit us better.

Mick Beard BHA

Hirsute
Feb 23, 2004
Back in Brighton
All this "all of Africa" stuff...is it REALLY true that the whole continent is celebrating? I mean there are some pretty fierce rivalries between African nations, particularly the traditionally strong (football-wise) west African countries.

I mean expecting Algeria to celebrate Ghana's win is like us cheering a Serbia or Greece win against a South American country surely?

I know a few non-Ghana sub-saharan africans and they're all cheering them on. Dunnno if they're die-hard footy fans (i suspect not) but that might be irrelevant.

But i know what you mean. Not sure how much affinity the 'arabic' africans would have with Ghanaians.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
:clap: Landon Donovan -- 127 caps, 45 goals, and carried a side about as much as any one player can... I hope he's got another go-round in him.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I'm pretty sure Nigerians wouldn't be celebrating any win by Cameroon !

Ghana is slightly different - but I don't think Ghanians appreciate Nigerians continued use of "Ghana must go" :lolol: Ghana Must Go Bag | Stuff Nigerian People Like

Generally though I reckon there's still a strong Pan-Africanism feel running through all of sub-sahara Africa. So especially with this world cup being held on African soil for the first time, I think Ghana will have the wholehearted support of most Africans.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Stepping away from the celebrations for a sec, i've got a query about suspensions.

I thought outstanding yellow cards got wiped at the end of the 1st round, but it seems a couple of Ghanaians are going to be suspended for the QF?

To be honest it makes a certain amount of sense if the 1srt rnd yellows only get wiped after the 2nd rnd, but still, tis not how i thought it was. Thoughts?

The feeling from FIFA seems to be to wipe them after the QF so players can't miss the semi's or final due to two bookings. I Think that's fair enough.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
He's only 28. Seems to have been round as long as Teddy Sheringham was.
I was guessing. It's the (lack of) hair... I suppose his having been big noise (FIFA golden boot) on the national U-17 team means he's been in the papers forever.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ghana (aka Gold Coast) deserved their win.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

Attachments

• usadraw.jpg
    usadraw.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 61

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Uruguay are tantalisingly frustrating - so obvious capable of playing entertaining attacking skillful football (just like Gus has the Albion doing!) yet so happy to sit back as soon as they score and wait until they concede until they fire up again. That said, again they totally controlled the game just as they did against Mexico. That Perez guy in central midfield is an absolute trojan.

As for Ghana, where was that Ghana when they played the Socceroos? They were very lucky to get a point that day, IMHO, but last night looked very composed and worth the win. Maybe it was that jazzy red extreme flair strip, which had extreme flair?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here