Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

****USA V Ghana and Uruguay V South Korea official thread ****

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If Ghana get another goal, I can go down the pub. I think the USA have blown it now. I expect they will get at least one more good chance. Who will it fall to?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Far too much rolling around and cheating going on, again.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There has to be a solution to all this relentless faking of injuries by players. It's getting embarrassing.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
There has to be a solution to all this relentless faking of injuries by players. It's getting embarrassing.

There is. Play on.

No-ones going to die from a pulled hamstring, so if they are actually injured, waiting for the ball to go out (which will just involve their team getting the ball) won't do them anymore harm.

If the player goes down with a referee, or linesman near them, they can run over and check to see if their not seriously injured.

If the opposition stop politely kicking the ball out, it will happen less. I'm all for fair play, etc. But it's got ridiculous.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Either that or referee's shouldn't allow players straight back on.
There should be a fixed rule, such as if a player needs treatment, they have to stay off for 3 minutes.
Might make players think twice before faking injury, and leaving their team down to 10 men for 3 minutes.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Because none of us would time waste in this situation?? :rolleyes:

I appreciate that, but there have been some shocking examples in this World Cup (at all stages of games) of pure, blatant cheating going on. It's getting worse and it's ruining the game for me.

Maybe I'm looking back with rose tinted specs but I'm sure when I first started watching the Albion (mid 80s) a game would rarely get stopped for injury, and even then only when the ref decided it was serious. Likewise players didn't keep putting the ball every time their mate went down. It's a lot of pressure on a ref with much more diving these days but maybe it should be down to him as to whether a game gets stopped as players are blatantly abusing it.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There is. Play on.

No-ones going to die from a pulled hamstring, so if they are actually injured, waiting for the ball to go out (which will just involve their team getting the ball) won't do them anymore harm.

If the player goes down with a referee, or linesman near them, they can run over and check to see if their not seriously injured.

If the opposition stop politely kicking the ball out, it will happen less. I'm all for fair play, etc. But it's got ridiculous.

Exactly. And it's even worse when they have the temerity to get a strop on with the ref when opponents DON'T put the ball out. When the only "treatment" their teammates needs is a quick rest and a pat on the slightly bruised ankle.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Early substitution in a game that doesn't have shootouts, in a round without home and away legs, always a dodgy move.

Still, I don't think the US did particularly badly...should have put it away at the beginning of the second half when they had Ghana under the cosh for five minutes at a time.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Either that or referee's shouldn't allow players straight back on.
There should be a fixed rule, such as if a player needs treatment, they have to stay off for 3 minutes.
Might make players think twice before faking injury, and leaving their team down to 10 men for 3 minutes.

On the one hand, that seems harsh on those genuinely injured by a bad tackle, as it hands the advantage to the offending team.

But then again if you actually, genuinely need treatment, three minutes is probably about what it takes anyway.

It's a toughie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here