Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up to £41 for a match day ticket at the Amex next season, too much?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Try having a mortgage, a divorce settlement, children, high petrol prices making commuting expensive, and high pension costs. That's only the start. I don't demand the right to a ticket to watch the football but I do find it quite galling when people make out that £40 odd quid a month is easy to find.

I don't have any of those issues, and I still have to do assorted freelance jobs to get by.

Shit, innit?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Fair enough. I think it's fairly obvious that where everybody goes wrong is having children. Yes, I'm sure it's a special moment and an amazing experience, but I'm even more sure that it totally fucks up your entire life. It's ok if you're a woman as you've probably not got much to lose (without wishing to sound disrespectful), but as a man I can't help but feel it's a terrible mistake.

I rather suspect that in your case, for the time-being at least, this would be true.

Be careful out there! :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I do, although I appreciate this is a bit of a sensitive subject where it's easy to look like a twat so I don't want to bang on about it. It just totally amazes me that anyone in a situation where their home is raking in TWO salaries and they seem to be paying for pretty much nothing beyond the essentials can not have surplus cash to the tune of £40 a month. How is it even possible? What is there to pay for?

Your ignorance, not to mention insensitivity, is breathtaking.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The thread is somewhat skewed by the maximum ticket price of £41 being quoted to grab the banner headline. I have never paid £41 to attend a match outside of Wembley, and it would have to be a pretty frigging important one for me to even consider it. The reality is, there will be very few (if any) WSL tickets on sale for that premium. A miniscule number.

From my point of view as a STH in the WSU, I am paying £490 a season, or £21 per match via my d/d. Individual tickets there at £32 would mount up to £736. So I am saving £246 a season, which is almost 8 "free" games compared with the match-by-match price. With transport included. That, to me, is OUTSTANDING value. £21 for that seat is a no-brainer.

£32 is a fair old wedge for an individual match in the WSU, slightly softened by the "free" transport aspect built in. But then the stadium is stupendous, the view spectacular, and the whole matchday experience I think is brilliant. And its a price that is pretty much in line with most clubs at this level, so come the Cup games which I'll have to pay for, I'll still be shelling out (and maybe cutting back on the pub for a week or two). The point is, I don't think £32, with £4 of it covering my transport, is too unreasonable. Chances are if we've got some lower-league monkeys they'll cut the price anyway.

Jul 20, 2003
Absolute nonsense. I'm quite aware he must pay his rent, his council tax, his electricity/gas/water bills. He's also feeding two mouths. But that should all be covered by two salaries, even if they were both minimum wage. Seriously, what else is there? The post about kids by Westdene Seagull is very true and I appreciate paying for them makes it a totally different ball game, but I genuinely don't see why a couple with no children should be having money worries if they're both employed.

helps if you put your earnings in an offshore account

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Try having a mortgage, a divorce settlement, children, high petrol prices making commuting expensive, and high pension costs. That's only the start. I don't demand the right to a ticket to watch the football but I do find it quite galling when people make out that £40 odd quid a month is easy to find.

You only need electric and gas bills to be f***ed.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
It's ok if you're a woman as you've probably not got much to lose (without wishing to sound disrespectful), but as a man I can't help but feel it's a terrible mistake.

What nonsense

Out of interest, what second job do you have that allows you to work 10 hours a month?

I have quite a few jobs like this. Sometimes it's only an hour or two a month. But it all adds up.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Without getting into the whole money debate, £40 a month for two or three games a month at the Amex is pretty good value. if you cannot afford £40 a month then you are unlikely to be able to afford £20 a game either, and you will not find that price of ticket in our league, it costs over a tenner for conference football! The ST are good value. I appreciate that this will be too much for some people still but when it costs the best part of ten quid to go to the cinema I hardly think the Albion can be accused of ripping off the fans. The £41 quoted in the OP is unlikely to be a price encountered by game to game punters so is basically an inflammatory figure which should be discarded. £41 for the most expensive ticket compares pretty well with other clubs in our region anyway.

To represent £40 a month for a ST as a rip off is unfair in my opinion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Absolute nonsense. I'm quite aware he must pay his rent, his council tax, his electricity/gas/water bills. He's also feeding two mouths. But that should all be covered by two salaries, even if they were both minimum wage. Seriously, what else is there? The post about kids by Westdene Seagull is very true and I appreciate paying for them makes it a totally different ball game, but I genuinely don't see why a couple with no children should be having money worries if they're both employed.

rent, utility bills, transport, food, council tax, clothing all add up.

Do you feel on the brink of financial disaster? | Poll | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Millions of working families one push from penury, Guardian research finds | Society | The Guardian

If you cannot see this then I guess it does not affect you but there are lot of people struggling. Thank your lucky stars the 7m does not include you.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
For a home match for me it could be

500 mile journey @ 40 mpg = £70
Match ticket £41
Food and drink £12
Total £123 to see a second division match.

Not easy for Rich Suvner's such as Beachy, but for a Northern public sector worker it is big potatoes.

Ok reduce the ticket to £30 and the cost is £112. Doesn't make much difference to you.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fair enough. I think it's fairly obvious that where everybody goes wrong is having children. Yes, I'm sure it's a special moment and an amazing experience, but I'm even more sure that it totally fucks up your entire life. It's ok if you're a woman as you've probably not got much to lose (without wishing to sound disrespectful), but as a man I can't help but feel it's a terrible mistake.

WOW - that's quite some statement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, and call me soppy, daft or stupid if you like, but my children are the best thing I have ever created, nurtured, helped or experienced in my life. The Albion will always play second fiddle to them.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No room argument or 'that's football these days' - those prices as ridiculous. Those that want to go to the odd match will simply buy tickets from STH at £20 each which is what we pay in WSU wings / NStand. We will rarely sell out at those prices. Too high.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But is it fair to say they are also the reason for the average man (not you in particular, as I know nothing about your circumstances) struggling financially, suffering endless stress and missing out on hundreds of things he wants to do?

I don't know the answer, but surely there has to be more to life than a choice between wiping up a baby's shit or watching 11 men kick a ball every weekend.

Yes, there probably is more to life than that but I certainly don't have the answer !

The thing with children is that there is no financial balance with them. You don't look at them and think shit, you're expensive. Instead you look at the and think - f***, I love you and would do anything I could to make you happy. You tend to blend the cost into your everyday life. I don't expect anyone without children to understand but there you go. I'll sacrifice the Albion for my children. That said they are both desperate to go to the Amex again so hopefully fortune will shine on us and I can find the money.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Keep reading it on NSC it annoys me so much the club DO have a ticket exchange. It is part of the deal if you have a PSL.

If you didn't choose to buy it then don't moan you dont have it's advantages.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
WOW - that's quite some statement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally, and call me soppy, daft or stupid if you like, but my children are the best thing I have ever created, nurtured, helped or experienced in my life. The Albion will always play second fiddle to them.

I agree with you, someone sounds mildly unhinged.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here