Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Up to £41 for a match day ticket at the Amex next season, too much?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't understand how people can't afford to pay for a season ticket on a direct debit if you are employed...that cost is less than one night out per month!

Well bully for you - I'm employed but my partner isn't so times are tight. Even before her redundancy it was tight so I had to get tickets as and when I'd managed to pick up a little extra cash. If you're so flush any chance you could pay for a season ticket for me as it's obviously such a piddly amount to you ?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Well bully for you - I'm employed but my partner isn't so times are tight. Even before her redundancy it was tight so I had to get tickets as and when I'd managed to pick up a little extra cash. If you're so flush any chance you could pay for a season ticket for me as it's obviously such a piddly amount to you ?

What? I am asking how people do not have £40 spare per month and are other areas such as alcohol, sky TV which people probably pay for instead.

Where have I said im so flush?! By being able to afford £40 per month I am 'flush'. Okay.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
What? I am asking how people do not have £40 spare per month and are other areas such as alcohol, sky TV which people probably pay for instead.

Where have I said im so flush?! By being able to afford £40 per month I am 'flush'. Okay.

Alcohol maybe, but people with families tend to share the TV with the rest of the household rather than have it as exclusive to themselves, so it's not much of a comparison.

kano

Jun 17, 2011
That is far too much. If our STs approach those prices I would be forced to give mine up.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham

My partner and I are both employed, neither of us on minimum wage, we don't drink, we don't smoke and we don't have sky TV, we don't go out in the evening except for special occasions e.g birthday meals. The only way I can afford my season ticket on DD is to have a second casual job which I have to do 8hrs a month to pay for it.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I best start saving my pennies for a ticket to a game when I return from uni in Plymouth. I don't mind forking that out, but over and over again, It's not great. But will it equilibrate, we'll find out mid way through the season

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I don't wish to be rude, but how is this the case? Are you getting raped by a huge rent/mortgage payment? It amazes me how perilous some people's finances are, and I don't mean that to sound arrogant as I don't earn much, but this just seems ridiclous.

We live in Horsham were rent is very expensive. I'm also commuting 25miles each way so spend nearly £200 a month on petrol

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
And that's the point, isn't it? It's not a case of wicked Tony Bloom ripping us all off. Rather one of his having to balance the books somehow, in the face of footballers' wages that spiralled way beyond obscene years ago.

Wayne Rooney illustrates the point perfectly. Were it not for football, Rooney would be delighted to earn £500 a week on a building site. Instead, we are invited to believe that Rooney the footballer is actually worth £300,000 – the weekly wage of SIX HUNDRED men.

Thanks to the good work of footballers' parasitic agents and advisers, people who used to watch the game can no longer afford it. Clubs go into administration regularly. And the rest of us roll our eyes and fork out stupid amounts of money for our fortnightly fix.

We're all being taken for mugs by players' agents. A new, maximum wage formula would stop all this. The idea that players would all go abroad if this happened is ludicrous – there simply isn't enough abroad to go round. And in the case of Rooney, especially after last Sunday, who would want him?

Time to get real on footballers' wages. After that, ticket prices can become far more manageable.

Whilst I agree with you on some points, I don't on others. This is a very good post. However, I don't think you've picked the best football player to make your point with. Rooney, who I believe is on £220,000 a week (I don't think there is an official number) his annual salary (excluding sponsorship) is what, £12m a year? United turn over over £330m a year. That's 3% of turnover. No one can deny he is United's talisman, their main player, the big star. I reference this to any company, if you're one of the big game players you're going to want a big cut of that pie. Without the big name players like Rooney, they'd be a mid-table team and their income would dramatically fall. So, in answer to your question, if he is KEY to them winning trophies and commercial contracts, then yes, he is worth the money, in my opinion.

A better example, perhaps would be someone like Roque Santa Cruz at City, earning £80,000 a week for doing nothing and contributing nothing to City.

I have the belief that you're paid your worth. Whilst I don't agree with clubs like City spending 120% of turnover on wages, I don't think at United -- where wages are 46% or turnover -- it is a bad thing. If you're fortunate enough to work at a company (football included) that is very well off financially, partly because of you, then you should be rewarded.

I'm not so sure on the financials at Brighton, but if players are making their clubs hundreds of millions, they're entitled to a cut of that pie. Unfortunately, I don't think the FFP will change a damn thing, except increase the gap between the stupidly rich, and those fighting for a cut of the money.

If players wages were capped, where do you think that money would be re-routed to? I'd have a good bet the pockets of the owners.

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
£35 odd per month or £30 per game, no brainer for me especially come the months where we have 4 home games, I can handle paying for 3 months without any return as such, glad the club have made it affordable as well

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
The Albion have increased match day prices by £4 a ticket for the upcoming season.

This means that North and South stand tickets are £28 each (£30 if book over the internet), East stand is £34-37 (£36-38 if internet), and West Stand £32-39 (£34 to £41 (if internet).

Makes the price of a ST seem a bargain, but does seem very expensive otherwise.

OK yep agree it's pricey but do we want quality and big time or not?. Comes at a price.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
£25 a game, plus subsided public transport, that's about par for the course. If you plan on paying £41 for the best seats available in the ground, then you aren't penny pinching are you?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't wish to be rude, but how is this the case? Are you getting raped by a huge rent/mortgage payment? It amazes me how perilous some people's finances are, and I don't mean that to sound arrogant as I don't earn much, but this just seems ridiclous.

Try having a mortgage, a divorce settlement, children, high petrol prices making commuting expensive, and high pension costs. That's only the start. I don't demand the right to a ticket to watch the football but I do find it quite galling when people make out that £40 odd quid a month is easy to find.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Try having a mortgage, a divorce settlement, children, high petrol prices making commuting expensive, and high pension costs. That's only the start. I don't demand the right to a ticket to watch the football but I do find it quite galling when people make out that £40 odd quid a month is easy to find.

That's my point although your situation sounds a lot harder than mine (no kids for a start). I realise that seems to be the going rate (whether that's right or wrong is another matter) and I knew if I wanted my ticket I had to take a 2nd job to get the money, however people's attitude that it shouldn't be a problem for people really annoys me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here