Jermain Defoe £15,000,000
Wilson Palacios £12,000,000
Carlo Cudicini Free
Pascal Chimbonda Signed
Roman Pavlyuchenko £14,000,000
David Bentley £15,000,000
John Bostock £700,000

Ouch.

I heard* today that Gus was offered a "Take it or leave it" transfer budget of £10 million for next season (and it looks like he's left it). Won't get many from that list for that.

*When I say 'heard', I'm in no way implying that this is true, or that I have a source that is ITK, or that I necessarily believe it myself. Just passing it on, as many other folk do on here. Don't shoot the messenger, etc, etc.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I'm guessing QPR fans have rumour mongers the same as we do, cannot see this happening at all!

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
If (as assumed) Harry came in a starting buying whoever he wants or spending whatever he wants without any controls from above, why wouldn't any other manager come in and do the same, or stay and do the same?

Shirley we have controls in place

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pardon...?

Maybe for his managerial skills?
*sigh* which are non-existant unless he has a massive advantage with budgets.

We are going round and round in circles.

"Redknapp would be a great manager"
"No he wouldn't"
"Yes he would - look what he did at Spurs"
"Yes, but he had a MASSIVE budget there, like everywhere else he's been"
"But our chairman won't let him overspend"
"So why bring him in then?"
"Because Redknapp is a great manager"

repeat ad finitum

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
I'm not saying he would be my 1st choice but I do think people need a reality check here ! A year ago when he was sacked at Spurs most people thought it was a huge surprise and he was linked with most jobs across Europe.Ok he has spent money at certain clubs but its up to Bloom/Barber to set the budget for whoever comes in not for a manager to decided.I don't think he can be blamed for the bad ownerships that have gone on at fratton park and god knows what's gone on at qpr but if Tony believes he's the man to get us over that line then that's good enough for me

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
I've heard, from a very reliable source, that people often post rumours on internet fan sites which turn out to be unfounded.

I've good reason to take my source seriously, because he's been a member of several fan sites for many years, and occasionally plays golf with someone who's a moderator of such a site, who confirmed that this is true.

Don't care if you don't believe me though.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
This thing about him spending £150m isn't true. Look at this site - http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/tottenham-hotspur-transfers.html

In the four seasons he was Spurs manager, they spent £145.2m on players. However, firstly, this includes the first season where some of the signings were made by Ramos before Redknapp arrived. That summer they bought Pavlyuchenko (£14m), Bentley (£15m), Corluka (£8.5m), Gomes (£10m) all under Ramos, so straight away you can take roughly £50m off Redknapp's total. That means Redknapp actually spent in the region of £95m-£100m in the time he was at the club. Secondly, he sold about £70m worth of players.

So a £25m net spend over four years to deliver 4th and 5th place finishes in the EPL? That doesn't sound too bad to me.

Now watch the haters try and put a spin on it

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
This thing about him spending £150m isn't true. Look at this site - http://www.transferleague.co.uk/premiership-transfers/tottenham-hotspur-transfers.html

In the four seasons he was Spurs manager, they spent £145.2m on players. However, firstly, this includes the first season where some of the signings were made by Ramos before Redknapp arrived. That summer they bought Pavlyuchenko (£14m), Bentley (£15m), Corluka (£8.5m), Gomes (£10m) all under Ramos, so straight away you can take roughly £50m off Redknapp's total. That means Redknapp actually spent in the region of £95m-£100m in the time he was at the club. Secondly, he sold about £70m worth of players.

So a £25m net spend over four years to deliver 4th and 5th place finishes in the EPL? That doesn't sound too bad to me.

This is no place to be posting facts :smile:

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I really don't understand what the problem is with Redknapp, or who we think we are as fans to snub a manager who was managing one of the biggest clubs in the country in the Champions League only three years ago and favourite to be England manager last year. We have a chairman and CEO who will clearly set out the financial 'constraints' that he will be managing under and have already shown with Gus that they're not going to be bullied into spending beyond our means.

He would be an excellent appointment for the next three to four years for this club to get us promoted and established in the Premier League. Those of you who have said they would boo him are completely deluded, and frankly need to look at how far we have come from being managed by Russel Slade, Geoff Wood, Martin Hinshelwood etc....

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wow - so much hostility

Am I wrong? The clubs he leaves he usually leaves in big financial problems. The only way he knows how to manage is to chuck money at a team. And nothing is EVER his fault.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
I really don't understand what the problem is with Redknapp, or who we think we are as fans to snub a manager who was managing one of the biggest clubs in the country in the Champions League only three years ago and favourite to be England manager last year. We have a chairman and CEO who will clearly set out the financial 'constraints' that he will be managing under and have already shown with Gus that they're not going to be bullied into spending beyond our means.

He would be an excellent appointment for the next three to four years for this club to get us promoted and established in the Premier League. Those of you who have said they would boo him are completely deluded, and frankly need to look at how far we have come from being managed by Russel Slade, Geoff Wood, Martin Hinshelwood etc....

This

How far have we come to be turning our noses up at a manager of his experience and talent. Like him or not he is better than the majority of managers ever at this club

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Is this the same Harry Redknapp who last year was being widely touted as the next England manager? Is he suddenly not good enough for us or Championship football? I think some people on here need to get a grip.

Yes, he’s got a track record of splashing the cash but we’ve got a die-hard Albion fan at the helm – not some two-bob Hong Kong, Israeli, or Abu Dhabi-based “businessman” who know nothing about the core values of a football club. I would expect a little more trust in our chairman (if Redknapp came in) in ensuring the coffers remain as tight he wishes.

This. As long as the purse strings are held, don't see the problem. Great admirer of B Z as well so could his wish of playing for Brighton again come true. Him and Ulloa up front would do me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I still believe in the tooth fairy so I suppose there could be some truth in your story
I know more people that believe in the tooth fairy, than believe in this.
You cant do that...the new manager would like a big say in those positions
You've misunderstood - he means we could bring someone in as 'director', then when Gus goes, the director would take over the management side of things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here