Votes: 22 13.3%
  • No I cant work as I am ill/ or something else

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Yes I am working but worried about losing my job

Votes: 22 13.3%

• Total voters

oatsy

Aug 14, 2003
If social security is a safety net, its not a very good one. I was made redundant before xmas and don't qualify for any benefits whatsoever, because I had a year out of the country in 2006. Despite working full time and paying tax for the rest of my life (15+ years).

To think I am left without any money at all, no help to pay the rent or anything in the country of my birth is just plain f***ing madness. Thank god my girlfriend works full-time but its hardly ideal.

On the plus side, the flat is really clean.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

goring dazza

Jul 19, 2004
Goring
I'm a manager of a Tesco Express and have been with the company for approx 26 years.
I feel pretty secure in my job but we are under extreme pressure now!
I suppose i should be thankfull though especially as it seems to be getting very hard to get a job at the moment!
I honestly hate my job now though as work too many hours and never feel appreciated!
I have started my own business to eventually get out of it hopefully between 3-5 years!
Anyone interested in what i do there is a Career Opportunity Presentation at Preston Park Hotel on 17th March,registration at 19.30,starts at 20.00 for 1 hour!
I'm thinking 'what do i want to be doing in 5 years time'?
Definately not what i am doing now so need to do something different which will give me more money and more time to enjoy life!
If you do come then please say hello as i'll be there?:drink:
Darren

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Owner, Managing Director and employer of 9 great people in Dubai. Love it.

D

Deleted member 2719

Self employed.

Fortunately i have never been unemployed, but i can imagine it's difficult all i can say is be proactive and stay positive and focus on your goal and you may just make your own luck.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Employed in education ... I like my job, although it's not especially well paid. That said, I'm not sure if now is the best time to be looking elsewhere. Will stick with it for the time being.

torchieboy

Jul 11, 2003
felpham, near bognor regis
employed, in bognor, at a great company who are book publishers and distributors. As we deal with unis/colleges and hospitals who always need books and journals things are going good . For those out of work just keep the faith and keep going, something will happen if you stay positive . good luck to you all

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No work for me for that last 6 months so i'll let others pay my way.

Free dental care
Free eye tests
Free prescriptions
Rent paid in full every month
Council tax paid in full.
Free giro every 2 weeks £125
Reduced child maintenance
Plus other perks which cannot be revealed :lol:

I've decided to take two years out to relax and catch up on things i enjoy like fishing.
It's your right to do so of course (and then show off over how you're playing the system), but please spare the rest of us your whinging, whiney "scrounging assylum seeker" rants next time a pro-BNP thread appears, eh.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's your right to do so of course (and then show off over how you're playing the system), but please spare the rest of us your whinging, whiney "scrounging assylum seeker" rants next time a pro-BNP thread appears, eh.

:thumbsup:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Self employed and one of the major reasons I came to SA - recession has not hit here as badly yet but it will come.

Was in IT but had old skills and was working for someone who was reluctant to re-skill me. Feel very sorry for those of you caught up in this and I am delighted that I am out of it. Most of my old colleagues from 10 years ago are still working at the same place and I hate to think what they will do if they get made redundant.

Good luck to all of you currently out of work :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Self employed and one of the major reasons I came to SA - recession has not hit here as badly yet but it will come.

Was in IT but had old skills and was working for someone who was reluctant to re-skill me. Feel very sorry for those of you caught up in this and I am delighted that I am out of it. Most of my old colleagues from 10 years ago are still working at the same place and I hate to think what they will do if they get made redundant.

Good luck to all of you currently out of work :thumbsup:

Odd thing is that there are a hell of a lot of white South Africans living here now.

Jan 30, 2008
As I posted on here at the time, I was made redundant at the end of Jan after 20 years of working in the City. Was a shock for a few days, but I think it was a good thing - it has made me do loads of things I would not have done otherwise. I've not really started looking for another job yet but will do any day now.
i don't think you will get a lot of sympathy after all the bad press you lot have been getting??

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
As I posted on here at the time, I was made redundant at the end of Jan after 20 years of working in the City. Was a shock for a few days, but I think it was a good thing - it has made me do loads of things I would not have done otherwise. I've not really started looking for another job yet but will do any day now.
hey i didnt realise mate , sorry to hear that, anything i can do to help mate ?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Odd thing is that there are a hell of a lot of white South Africans living here now.

Indeed.

Know quite a few expats who have only moved out here in the last few years. Some retired, some with young families. Also know SA families that have emmigrated and come back within 6 months. A lot of South Africans I speak to are lured by the chance of making big bucks overseas (well not anymore!!), but once they realise they cannot have the lifestyle that they are used to here, they dont want to leave. Horses for courses, I guess. Also, it was the case that if you were young and skilled (particularly in IT), you could go to the UK and make a lot of money there in SA terms and bring it back again when you want to settle down - I know loads of people who have done that. Will be interesting to see what happens to those South Africans in the UK once they start losing their jobs etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here