Votes: 22 13.3%
  • No I cant work as I am ill/ or something else

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Yes I am working but worried about losing my job

Votes: 22 13.3%

• Total voters

Lush

Mods' Pet
I've been at Somerfield for two years now, I really want to get a new job but there is absolutely nothing round at the moment. I'm considering about playing Darts for living, but I will need practice, sponsorship, pub team before I even do it.

I'm considering show jumping for a career, but I'd need a horse and to learn to ride and one of them hard hats ...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'm considering show jumping for a career, but I'd need a horse and to learn to ride and one of them hard hats ...

Damn ! I had you down as an exotic dancer too. :down:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Most important thing is to try and build a relationship with the Consultant so they actually want to help you, and you become a person rather than just a CV. If I was looking for a job now I would send my CV to a Recruitment Consultant, then phone them and speak to them and ask to meet them. When it is hard like it is at the moment, you need to be doing the chasing. When things are going well and there is loads of work it will be them chasing you. etc etc

Very good advice. Thank you for that. I'm becoming convinced that I should focus on a few agents and just apply to the others if I see them advertising a job I could do.

Am off to put this into action. Thanks again.

Andy

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The situation in the US at the minute is very grim. I’m working for a British company on what is called an employment-at-will contract which means you can be fired at a moment’s notice for no reason. I was obviously aware of this when I signed it - if I wanted to work in the States I had no choice - so cannot really complain. I saw this in action yesterday when one of the project managers was called in at 10 and was out by 12 - very sobering. I feel sorry for a lot of Yanks who have been laid off as they lose their health care (and their families) as this is linked to their Employer - which makes unemployment a double blow.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Lost My Job As An Anger Management Consultant For Gross Misconduct Recently. I Got Caught Wanking In The Car Park.

And Threatened The Security Guard Who Caught Me.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The situation in the US at the minute is very grim. I’m working for a British company on what is called an employment-at-will contract which means you can be fired at a moment’s notice for no reason. I was obviously aware of this when I signed it - if I wanted to work in the States I had no choice - so cannot really complain. I saw this in action yesterday when one of the project managers was called in at 10 and was out by 12 - very sobering. I feel sorry for a lot of Yanks who have been laid off as they lose their health care (and their families) as this is linked to their Employer - which makes unemployment a double blow.

Actually a lot of states have no employee protect laws at all. Many American firms like to try and control their staff by fear. I remember working for Amex back in the 70s when they hadn't been in this country very long (the Charge Card side) and some of their managers treated the staff like dirt. They got a huge shock when staff at the Haywards Heath office went on strike and they found to their cost that treating people like dirt wasn't permissible in the UK.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
28th year with company this year, never been so glad to be in work

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm considering about playing Darts for living, but I will need practice, sponsorship, pub team before I even do it.
Couldn't you just rock up to the next World Darts Premier league fixture and simply tell the organisers that you fancy taking Phil Taylor's place for the evening?

Alternatively just turn up to the BBC World Darts Championship in Lakeside. You'd probably fit in a treat at your current level.

Adam Virgo's Shirt

I took Adam's shirt off!
Oct 7, 2006
IOW ex Worthing
Unemployed since Nov 08. I am moving to Surrey on Saturday, and so far have applied for 2 jobs up there, and had 2 interviews. I am considering starting my business up again, as recent reports say a lot of small businesses are struggling with their bookkeeping, and this is my area of expertise. I can work less hours and earn more money self employed too.

I'm not feeling negative about this time at all. I'm doing OU courses in subjects I enjoy, and which will also give me new skills. Anyone else unemployed, I would highly recommend doing OU. If your household has a low income the course will be 100% funded, and it's an excellent way to keep your brain active, and give you something to focus on

I agree about the routine too. I can easily sleep until 2pm and then not want to sleep again until 3am which is a bit of a nightmare. For me though I have found it is just a case of resetting your bodyclock. I have recently started arranging something everyday for 9am so I HAVE to get up. The first night you might not sleep well, but after a couple of days your bodyclock will be back to normal

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Unemployed since Nov 08. I am moving to Surrey on Saturday, and so far have applied for 2 jobs up there, and had 2 interviews. I am considering starting my business up again, as recent reports say a lot of small businesses are struggling with their bookkeeping, and this is my area of expertise. I can work less hours and earn more money self employed too.

I'm not feeling negative about this time at all. I'm doing OU courses in subjects I enjoy, and which will also give me new skills. Anyone else unemployed, I would highly recommend doing OU. If your household has a low income the course will be 100% funded, and it's an excellent way to keep your brain active, and give you something to focus on

I agree about the routine too. I can easily sleep until 2pm and then not want to sleep again until 3am which is a bit of a nightmare. For me though I have found it is just a case of resetting your bodyclock. I have recently started arranging something everyday for 9am so I HAVE to get up. The first night you might not sleep well, but after a couple of days your bodyclock will be back to normal

Certainly agree with the routine bit. When I was first made redundant, someone on here said to get a routine and I 100% agree. I get up just after 7 every day, have breakfast and am usually "working" by 8. Sometime don't stop for lunch. I try to take an hour or two out of the day to do different non-routine things, but pretty much everything is constructive. It would be far too easy (and quite boring) to sleep a lot or just watch TV.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
No work for me for that last 6 months so i'll let others pay my way.

Free dental care
Free eye tests
Free prescriptions
Rent paid in full every month
Council tax paid in full.
Free giro every 2 weeks £125
Reduced child maintenance
Plus other perks which cannot be revealed :lol:

I've decided to take two years out to relax and catch up on things i enjoy like fishing.

Is it any wonder this country is f***ed? You can fish all you want when you've made your pile and retired.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Is it any wonder this country is f***ed? You can fish all you want when you've made your pile and retired.

The solution is never to attempt to work. That way you get your rent paid and don't really notice a recession/depression.

Forget immigration, the underclass that has formed in the last 20 years that has no intention of ever doing a day's work and aren't made to do so is a national disgrace.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The solution is never to attempt to work. That way you get your rent paid and don't really notice a recession/depression.

Forget immigration, the underclass that has formed in the last 20 years that has no intention of ever doing a day's work and aren't made to do so is a national disgrace.

The 'underclass' as you call it has been around for a lot longer than the last twenty years and in fact are very much a minority. The vast majority of people who are out of work don't want to be.

Have you ever been out of work ?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The 'underclass' as you call it has been around for a lot longer than the last twenty years and in fact are very much a minority. The vast majority of people who are out of work don't want to be.

He's been out of work since November, it was mentioned earlier.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Have you signed on, by the way?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing

Yes, couple of times.

There is a hardcore of unemployed (and quite possibly unemployable) people who show no interest in getting work but every interest in living off the state. If you think anything to the contrary you really have your head in the sand.

If these people weren't eating up the social security budget people who are looking for work would probably be treated better than having to go down the local Job Centre to beg for £60 a week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here