Votes: 22 13.3%
  • No I cant work as I am ill/ or something else

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Yes I am working but worried about losing my job

Votes: 22 13.3%

• Total voters

Jan 30, 2008
Indeed.

Know quite a few expats who have only moved out here in the last few years. Some retired, some with young families. Also know SA families that have emmigrated and come back within 6 months. A lot of South Africans I speak to are lured by the chance of making big bucks overseas (well not anymore!!), but once they realise they cannot have the lifestyle that they are used to here, they dont want to leave. Horses for courses, I guess. Also, it was the case that if you were young and skilled (particularly in IT), you could go to the UK and make a lot of money there in SA terms and bring it back again when you want to settle down - I know loads of people who have done that. Will be interesting to see what happens to those South Africans in the UK once they start losing their jobs etc.
the polish have tried the same thing......... see you later :bigwave:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Indeed.

Know quite a few expats who have only moved out here in the last few years. Some retired, some with young families. Also know SA families that have emmigrated and come back within 6 months. A lot of South Africans I speak to are lured by the chance of making big bucks overseas (well not anymore!!), but once they realise they cannot have the lifestyle that they are used to here, they dont want to leave. Horses for courses, I guess. Also, it was the case that if you were young and skilled (particularly in IT), you could go to the UK and make a lot of money there in SA terms and bring it back again when you want to settle down - I know loads of people who have done that. Will be interesting to see what happens to those South Africans in the UK once they start losing their jobs etc.

Here's a quote I have heard several times. 'It's gone downhill since the kaffers took over'.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Here's a quote I have heard several times. 'It's gone downhill since the kaffers took over'.

:yawn:

Well they would say that, wouldn't they!! Dont have the same priviledges they had before, the same right to a job when they left school with no qualifications etc etc. Perhaps they should have stayed to try to help the entire country using their enormous wit and intelligence - actually, perhaps they are better off where they are. You can keep them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:yawn:

Well they would say that, wouldn't they!! Dont have the same priviledges they had before, the same right to a job when they left school with no qualifications etc etc. Perhaps they should have stayed to try to help the entire country using their enormous wit and intelligence - actually, perhaps they are better off where they are. You can keep them.

Thanks but we don't really want them ! Place I was working at recently there was a South African who was more than a little surprised that Black people were allowed to use computers in his office, he didn't last very long !

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Gissajob, I can do dat ! I'm sure you need an IT 'expert' ! I can even provide with a good waitress !

I've got an IT guy already, so unfortunately no.:(

But I admire your ambition to work for such an esteemed company as mine.:clap::thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hope this person wasn't young??

He was actually. I've met a few with similar leanings. However I get very annoyed when I get some South African moaning about the UK and I tend to suggest they go home if they don't like it.

Mind you I feel the same about any national who feels that way, irrespective of race, colour or creed.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've got an IT guy already, so unfortunately no.:(

But I admire your ambition to work for such an esteemed company as mine.:clap::thumbsup:

LOL ! Actually a mate of her indoors is going to manage a large hotel in Abu later this year and I am hoping I might get something out of that. I rather like the UAE as everywhere has working A/C and the Arabs are friendly (despite what some on here think).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
He was actually. I've met a few with similar leanings. However I get very annoyed when I get some South African moaning about the UK and I tend to suggest they go home if they don't like it.

Mind you I feel the same about any national who feels that way, irrespective of race, colour or creed.

Sad - must have been educated(?) at that hotbed of liberalism, Free State University.

Quite right re the moaning - he probably has not worked out how to wipe his own arse yet as no-one in the UK will do it for him!! There is a lot of moaning here but I dont hear expats moaning very often, it must be said.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sad - must have been educated(?) at that hotbed of liberalism, Free State University.

Quite right re the moaning - he probably has not worked out how to wipe his own arse yet as no-one in the UK will do it for him!! There is a lot of moaning here but I dont hear expats moaning very often, it must be said.

Well I think it depends which part of South Africa they come from.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Sorry, what depends on which part they come from??

Their attitude. Cape Towners seem fine, Jo'burg from what I gather I can understand but it's Durbanites who seem the biggest moaners.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Ruddy 'eck. Just been to chase up recruitment agents at lunch. Both of the agencies I was registered with did not have anything - why? Because they had both put my current salary (£22,000) as my minimum expected salary - fecking useless tonks.

So, having sorted that out I though I would go and find out what the job centre had to offer. Basically they didn't want to speak to me unless I had come to claim benefits. BENEFITS - I thought it was called the job centre, not the benefit claiming place.

So far I have been registered with recruitment agencies for nearly three months, producing zero interviews. In the same amount of time, I have attended countless interviews for jobs I applied for myself. Therefore my conclusion is that recruitment agencies (and the job centre for that matter) are useless.
[/rant]

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
LOL ! Actually a mate of her indoors is going to manage a large hotel in Abu later this year and I am hoping I might get something out of that. I rather like the UAE as everywhere has working A/C and the Arabs are friendly (despite what some on here think).

PM me if/when you're coming over and we'll meet up. There's definitely work over here still if you're interested, especially for fellow Albion supporters.:ascarf:

Talking of South Africa, I'm planning on getting over there for some of the Lions games in June and possibly the England cricket tour in December. Would love to meet up with KZNSeagull for a beer if he's thinking of going to any of the games.:drink:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ruddy 'eck. Just been to chase up recruitment agents at lunch. Both of the agencies I was registered with did not have anything - why? Because they had both put my current salary (£22,000) as my minimum expected salary - fecking useless tonks.]

Sorry, but whatever you do, do NOT restrict yourself to two agencies. Else you'll be a long time waiting. Use jobserve.com or monster.co.uk or similar - ideally every one you can find - and set it up for them to auto-email you whatever jobs match your skills/expectations, then follow up with the agency in question. IMHO like.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Sorry, but whatever you do, do NOT restrict yourself to two agencies. Else you'll be a long time waiting. Use jobserve.com or monster.co.uk or similar - ideally every one you can find - and set it up for them to auto-email you whatever jobs match your skills/expectations, then follow up with the agency in question. IMHO like.

I am registered with two real-life agencies, and then all the intenet people I could find (monster, Uni jobshop, express and star, reed, etc, etc.)

Should I find more real-life agencies?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here