Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unbelievable - Lucas advocates the use of recreational drugs

D

Deleted User X18H

She's not your MP, so what's is to you?

She is an MP (or sorts) who has made a comment about advocating drug usage. It is the right of any law abiding, clean living, and responsible, British citizen to make comment if he wishes.

Society is all encompassing.

And why are you going on about Wotsits?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Just before I commit suicide I might read that.

Ha! Is that it? You ask a question (two, in fact) and when the answers aren't the ones you want/expect, you just resort to calling them boring? Come on, you don't need to read them - I've answered your question - it's working well for Portugal. So what's your thought on the debate/thread at hand...?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Most people would agree with me, as the majority of people that She represents do not take illegal substances

It's irrelevant how many people agree with you, though it's quite a presumption on your part to think that's the case.

There is a spectcular dose of naivety bordering on stupidity to think that an MP feels that they can defeat the drugs problem by telling people not to use it. Nor should an MP be told not to talk about it. She isn't advocating people using drugs - she has opened up a debate on how the drugs problem can be taken on, and this is also in line with the thinking of Sussex's top law enforcement officer.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
What we need is a forward thinking effective drug policy where drugs are regulated not banned. The prohibition of drugs has failed, and those fantasists who think banning drugs will protect their children need to realise drug culture is inherent in our society and it will never be stopped just because the law says so.

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
That's a bold assumption - that non-users would not advocate decriminalisation. Or am I mis-reading you?

The point that i am trying to make here is that She represents cira 100K of people, and speaks on there behalf accordingly having been democratically elected to do so. In my opinion She should NOT be making these sort of statements, regardless of the rights or wrongs of the subject matter, She should simply be trying to make the area She represents a better place for all that live there.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Did Tim miss the bit where the top policeman in the city also advocated the same measure. This is an attempt to seriously initiate a debate on how to minimise the damage that drugs cause in this city and elsewhere. This should be welcomed and seriously discussed, as the current measures have failed to help addicts but enrich criminals.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
She should simply be trying to make the area She represents a better place for all that live there.

I completely agree with this.

I think Lucas believes decriminalising drugs would make it a better place for all that live there (getting the trade, and hence users, off the streets etc) - and I think she's got a point. Regardless of whether she's right or not though, surely it's a debate worth having - and looking at the evidence?

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
If there was an election tomorrow, Caroline Lucas would still be re-elected.

Get over it. It's a town full of hummous munching bohemians, and I'm rather proud of it!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The point that i am trying to make here is that She represents cira 100K of people, and speaks on there behalf accordingly having been democratically elected to do so. In my opinion She should NOT be making these sort of statements, regardless of the rights or wrongs of the subject matter, She should simply be trying to make the area She represents a better place for all that live there.

So how do you know that invoking this kind of debate won't ultimately make things better for her constituents?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Wise words from Lucas.

A question, HB&B, do you think the current system works?

40 years spent on the war on drugs, trillions spent world wide on said war, and drug use has increased pretty much year on year around the world. If this length of time, and this amount of money, was spent on any other policy and with the same level of success it would have been scrapped decades ago.

Does it work? Is HB&B a tedious dullard?

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
I completely agree with this.

I think Lucas believes decriminalising drugs would make it a better place for all that live there (getting the trade, and hence users, off the streets etc) - and I think she's got a point. Regardless of whether she's right or not though, surely it's a debate worth having - and looking at the evidence?

Of couse a good healthy debate about it is needed, but i still feel that elected MP's should not advocate law breaking

Ha! Is that it? You ask a question (two, in fact) and when the answers aren't the ones you want/expect, you just resort to calling them boring? Come on, you don't need to read them - I've answered your question - it's working well for Portugal. So what's your thought on the debate/thread at hand...?

What about Switzerland, and as for Portugal might as be third world, harsh but true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here