Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UK's most popular baby names, Insh'allah

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Jack And Mohammed Are Most Popular Names

3 hours 8 mins ago

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20090909/tuk-jack-and-mohammed-are-most-popular-n-45dbed5.html

Jack retained its top spot for the 14th year in England and Wales, while Olivia rose two places from 2007, the Office for National Statistics said.

Mohammed comes in at number two when its various spellings, such as Muhammad and Mohammad, are included.

Without the variations Mohammed has shot up 18 places over the last year to 16th.

There were no new entries in the top 10 most popular names for baby boys - and only three in the top 100 - while Evie made its debut in the list of top 10 girls' names.

The top 10 baby names for boys were, in order of popularity: Jack, Oliver, Thomas, Harry, Joshua, Alfie, Charlie, Daniel, James and William.

And the top 10 baby names for girls were: Olivia, Ruby, Emily, Grace, Jessica, Chloe, Sophie, Lily, Amelia and Evie.

Jack, which first claimed number one in 1995, was the most popular boy's name in all-but-one month last year.

Only Oliver briefly rose above it, taking January's top spot.

Holly was the most popular girl's name in December, but came 22nd overall.

Among the top 100 for boys, just three new entries - Blake at 91, Ewan at 95 and Zak at 100 - replaced Frederick, Dominic and Andrew in the list.

The ONS figures also showed a surge in the number of baby boys called Riley, propelling it 24 places to number 33.

Theo, up 15 to 58, and Gabriel, up 14 to 78, were also high climbers, while Kyle, down 18 to 69, Jamie, down 15 to 51, and Aidan, down 14 to 92, all dropped significantly.

Among the girls' names, Ruby dropped from 2007's top spot to number two last year, while Emily rose one place to number three and Grace was down two at number four.

Ella dropped out of the top 10, down three places to 12th.

There were five new entries in the top 100, knocking Rose, Victoria, Rachel, Shannon and Madeleine out of the list.

They were replaced by Lexi - the top climber among girls as the name rose 40 places to 73 - Florence at 94, Emilia at 97, Maryam at 99 and Esme at 100.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mohammed at number 2. I am not going to criticise as to criticise the name Mohammed means death from our Islamic friends.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
If I had ever had any kids I wanted to call my boy, Harry and my girl, Emma but it aint gonna happen.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oh dear Wizard now you've gone and done it.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Just about every other muslim male seems to be called Mohammed, can't they think of something more original.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I suppose there is some law in a 7th century scripture that says if you do not call your Son Mohammed you will be flogged to death in the public square.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'd rather be called Mohammad than Joshua, Blake, Ewan and Zak.

"Oh who's your son named after"
"The Prophet, yours?"
"That twat who was married to Winehouse"
"Well my son's named after knob from Saved by the Bell"

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Will we ever see the likes of Alf, Sydney, George, Albert, or Wilfred again?

These were real men's names. I can't imagine an old codger in the future cutting about with a name like Josh, Jody, or Tyson

I find it disgusting that Mohammed come's in at No.2

This is meant to be ENGLAND

Then you probably need to get a life. What difference does it make to you FFS? If it had come in at number 228 would it have made your week? How does it affect your life in ANY way shape or form?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Basically all it means is that muslims are very bad at coming up with baby names and just call every other one mohammed, we can take pride in the huge variety of names we call our offspring

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I sort of get his point. I mean I can't see Dave coming 2nd in somewhere like Iraq or Iran can you ?.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I sort of get his point. I mean I can't see Dave coming 2nd in somewhere like Iraq or Iran can you ?.

Do you mean Jesus? What religion is Dave the leader of? Is light-hearted banter now a religion?

There are MUSLIMS alive and well in this country. They breed. They call their sons Mohammed (or similar) and they tend to like having sons. If this affects your life in a negative way I'd love to hear what your experiences are. The 'this is England' reaction is all a bit boring and Daily Mail-tastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here