Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UFO's - Do you believe that Extraterrestrials have visited/are visiting this planet?

Extraterrestrial Visitation of Earth

• In the past yes, in modern times no

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • In the past yes, and in modern times yes

Votes: 51 30.5%
  • I believe they exist, but I don't believe they have ever been here

Votes: 83 49.7%
  • I don't believe in extraterrestrials

Votes: 25 15.0%

• Total voters

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
[MENTION=256]DTES[/MENTION]

"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together."

- Max Planck

Last edited:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
We should not assume that extraterrestrials would be using jet and rocket engines which burn fossil fuel.

If you think about the amount of time that there has been since the start of the universe. And then think about how long we have been around. If you accept that life exists out there, the probability is that some of those life forms will have existed for thousands or even millions of years more than we have in our short time.

So there has been plenty of time for someone in the universe to develop advanced physics beyond where we are. I think even our own theoretical physics allows for interstellar travel through things like "warping" the space-time. The limits we face are down to energy generation, of course we will never do it with combustion engines, but that is not to say that there is not a way, or that others have not found that way.

Correct - we do not have to assume that, and we shouldn't. But the forces of acceleration are still a fact - not the force to accelerate any starship, but the force that the acceleration would inflict upon anything being accelerated in such a way - and you seem to be conveniently ignoring this.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
erm. its clearly not possible for these techs to spring up in such a short period of time. once the Nazis sent up the first V2 rocket, alien monitors where notifed of the path we would take soon so sought to influence an control it. introducing fission ended the war and made us aware of our own power, then transistors and lasers where introduced to accelerate our development. compare a valve and a transistor, they are so different we couldn't have jumped from one to the other in such time. the reason they made these discoveries is that they have evolved for milliions of years, they have compressed our scientific development so that we can move to a higher frequency of consciousness and join them. do your own research.

what do you think? dyor.

I do do my own research, although as it is on primate behaviour it isn't relevant here. :p However on consideration I have decided you're not being serious.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Oi,I like fruitcake......Could it be that Jesus was extraterrestrial...then the Chinese whispers bought about the bible...who knows..... I think 'We are not alone'....sell them season tickets quick ,could make a fortune.!:clap2::clap2::clap2:

:):):)

gully is my god

Apr 13, 2011
Hove
I would say in all the galaxies there may be life as other planets contain water and temperatures that could enable life.

Exo planets are discovered all the time. (777 so far)

I think it would be a very self important view that either life doesn't exist anywhere, and also if it does that the aim is to see us. Its probably more cellular.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
[MENTION=256]DTES[/MENTION]

"As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together."

- Max Planck

Are you basing your claims on this one quote, or claiming you understand the equivalence of energy and mass?

One quote from one scientist - a man who also, separately, claimed that matter did not come from "vibration" but from consciousness itself - proves nothing. Science doesn't work on quotes, but I'm sure you're aware of that.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London

No it did not: Large Hadron Collider at CERN: Einstein 'was right all along' - Telegraph

While it's possible, even probable, that you missed this (the media tends to ignore 'boring' science news) it is typical of how conspiracy theorists in general act: Push big on any supporting evidence, however flimsy, and ignore the existence of any opposing evidence.

Science, on the other hand, grabs the challenge with both hands and dives head first into investigating anything that may disprove a current theory - that's the very nature of how science advances.

EDIT - Apologies, the link I gave was before the repeat tests were run. Here's the results after they were: http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1112551696/cern-confirms-neutrinos-not-faster-than-light/

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Correct - we do not have to assume that, and we shouldn't. But the forces of acceleration are still a fact - not the force to accelerate any starship, but the force that the acceleration would inflict upon anything being accelerated in such a way - and you seem to be conveniently ignoring this.

You are still dealing with billiard-ball mechanics. Classical physics. I agree with you, you cannot use combustion engines, or classical physical principles to achieve interseller travel. You have to interface with the fabric of the universe. Anti gravity principles do not depend on "fuel" so much as they depend on manipulating and "riding" the laws of nature, in this case gravity. The concept of "warp speed" in principle just means pulling the universe which is in front of you, towards you, while pushing the universe which is behind you, away from you.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
You are still dealing with billiard-ball mechanics. Classical physics.

No, I'm not. What I'm "still dealing with" is what has been proven in terms of the laws of physics.

I agree with you, you cannot use combustion engines, or classical physical principles to achieve interseller travel. You have to interface with the fabric of the universe. Anti gravity principles do not depend on "fuel" so much as they depend on manipulating and "riding" the laws of nature, in this case gravity. The concept of "warp speed" in principle just means pulling the universe which is in front of you, towards you, while pushing the universe which is behind you, away from you.

What principles? Are you getting this from Star Trek? Wherever your "force" comes from, you still need a force! You're offering nothing, even in theoretical terms, about how the "fabric of the universe" can be "interfaced". Sorry, but this just seems like more buzzwords.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
No it did not: Large Hadron Collider at CERN: Einstein 'was right all along' - Telegraph

While it's possible, even probable, that you missed this (the media tends to ignore 'boring' science news) it is typical of how conspiracy theorists in general act: Push big on any supporting evidence, however flimsy, and ignore the existence of any opposing evidence.

Science, on the other hand, grabs the challenge with both hands and dives head first into investigating anything that may disprove a current theory - that's the very nature of how science advances.

EDIT - Apologies, the link I gave was before the repeat tests were run. Here's the results after they were: http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1112551696/cern-confirms-neutrinos-not-faster-than-light/

If I do meet any extraterrestrials, I am going to make sure to ask them to give you an anal probing.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
If I do meet any extraterrestrials, I am going to make sure to ask them to give you an anal probing.

See, you speak with such certainty in the absence of evidence every time. How do you know I wouldn't like that?

I wouldn't, for the record :lolol:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
This question has always interested me as "experts" say that it is impossible for ET's to have visited Earth. However, impossible by whose standards?

Scientists on Earth say that for life to exist a planet must have a certain balance and must have be in the right place in distance to a star...but that is only within the realms of our own scientific knowledge.

Some say that aliens would have to travel 4 million light years...who put that measure in place? Earth scientists using the theories that they have used based on what is available on Earth.

We just do not know whether Aliens exists?

The simple fact is that we should not be shackled by what we are told by experts who can only work within the scientific parameters that they know and have discovered on earth.

We get told that it's impossible for life to exist on other planets in our solar system, but that again, is only because we, as humans, have come to a probable conclusion that that is the case and we should not pre-determine what can and cannot be just because WE as a race have not been able to establish truly that this is the case.

There is also massive proof from Siberia and Antarctica that organisms can exist in environments that we previously thought were uninhabitable and more will, I'm sure be discovered in future decades and centuries - Long after we have become worm feed.

If we do become confined by what the scientific experts tell us, then what is the point in looking for new ways for the human race to evolve and reach out for life in the stars. After all, 500 years ago, who would have said that I would have been pressing buttons on an object which gives me moving pictures, sounds and can do so without wires and communicates with other people thousands of miles away within seconds? 500 years ago was when Galileo finally proved what the Ancient Greeks had been saying all along and that the earth wasn't flat!!!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
We get told that it's impossible for life to exist on other planets in our solar system, but that again, is only because we, as humans, have come to a probable conclusion that that is the case and we should not pre-determine what can and cannot be just because WE as a race have not been able to establish truly that this is the case.

No, we don't. It's quite possible that life does, or has, existed on Titan. There's even a chance that it's existed on Mars.

There is also massive proof from Siberia and Antarctica that organisms can exist in environments that we previously thought were uninhabitable and more will, I'm sure be discovered in future decades and centuries - Long after we have become worm feed.

Nobody is denying this.

Some say that aliens would have to travel 4 million light years...who put that measure in place? Earth scientists using the theories that they have used based on what is available on Earth.

What does this even mean? We know how far away the stars are, and it isn't by our measure... as the fundamental particles of the universe all also go by the same measure (e.g. microwave background that agrees with all expectations)

Misrepresenting science, or the "experts" that you refer to, is really nothing more than a straw man argument.

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
I believe there is life out there -- whether it's intelligent or not I don't know. As for space travel, We cannot just assume that everything would travel as we expect it to with rocket fuelled spacecraft. There are theories that you can propel using light, for example. one thing is for sure that it wont be during our lifetimes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... :p However on consideration I have decided you're not being serious.

what gave it away? apologies to DTES who took it at face value, i literally made it all up as i typed going for some sort of batshit lingo bingo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here