Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

UFO's - Do you believe that Extraterrestrials have visited/are visiting this planet?

Extraterrestrial Visitation of Earth

• In the past yes, in modern times no

Votes: 8 4.8%
  • In the past yes, and in modern times yes

Votes: 51 30.5%
  • I believe they exist, but I don't believe they have ever been here

Votes: 83 49.7%
  • I don't believe in extraterrestrials

Votes: 25 15.0%

• Total voters

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
I'm just pointing out that some posters on here as soon as they get a sniff of religion/God/etc on here (and presumably every other internet forum they are members of) immediately it seems to raise their hackles and they have to fight it with all of their might.

Just wondered why it seems to invoke such an emotional reaction, that's all.

Any ideas?

Stepping outside the circle for a second - i.e. not debating the yes/no point - my personal thoughts on that: I have no problem with those who claim it is their opinion and nothing more. But when the religious try to force their beliefs on others I have a problem, and that knocks on.

With kids being indoctrinated before reaching an age to choose for themselves, with preachers on street corners stopping me as I mind my own business, and with the religious knocking on the door of my home to discuss their beliefs... yeah I get annoyed. I'm not aware of door-to-door atheists, but if there are some I'll happily moan about them being out of order too.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
we still don't know what the sun is, yes we know the chemicals, but we do not know if "it has consciousness." some mystic fraternities believe we evolve to become stars (5th density) as in "every man and women is a star."

That's the equivalent of me claiming my socks have consciousness. You can't disprove it but you can prove that there is absolutely no evidence to support such a claim.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Stepping outside the circle for a second - i.e. not debating the yes/no point - my personal thoughts on that: I have no problem with those who claim it is their opinion and nothing more. But when the religious try to force their beliefs on others I have a problem, and that knocks on.

With kids being indoctrinated before reaching an age to choose for themselves, with preachers on street corners stopping me as I mind my own business, and with the religious knocking on the door of my home to discuss their beliefs... yeah I get annoyed. I'm not aware of door-to-door atheists, but if there are some I'll happily moan about them being out of order too.

That's fine. I can understand that.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
That's the equivalent of me claiming my socks have consciousness. You can't disprove it but you can prove that there is absolutely no evidence to support such a claim.

Indeed. Also see Russell's Teapot.

(Yes, it's Wikipedia, but I'm not claiming it as proof of anything, just the explanation of a theory... before anyone complains :) )

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
We could get into a conversation about consciousness?

Can the founts of all knowledge explain that?

No. But, again, the fact that we cannot (yet) explain something is not evidence for a higher power or anything supernatural.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
We could get into a conversation about consciousness?

Can the founts of all knowledge explain that?
Perhaps this is where you're going wrong. There ARE no "founts of all knowledge". But the gaps in our knowledge should not allow bullshit to creep in.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Perhaps this is where you're going wrong. There ARE no "founts of all knowledge". But the gaps in our knowledge should not allow bullshit to creep in.

Oh I'm going wrong am I? Thank you

So let me get this right. You are saying that my personal experiences are bullshit.

Is that correct?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
But is evidence that there are things we can't explain so we don't know everything.

Correct. I don't disagree with that at all.

For much that we can't understand, it's a case that we don't understand them yet. Other things we may never understand.

I do believe though, that the onus is on the individual to provide evidence for a theory they propose (be that a supernatural explanation or a "scientific" one, for want of a better word) rather than raise it as a "belief" and insist others have to disprove them. I also believe it's pretty foolish to believe as such if you don't have any evidence...

Last edited:

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004

lol........yours are so smelly they highly probable to contain some level of sentience. ;-)

so, you see no difference between a cosmic body that gives life with light, and excerts massive ammounts of prana......constantly.........and your M&S timmy towlings?

wow......that for me, is very interesting.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Oh I'm going wrong am I? Thank you

So let me get this right. You are saying that my personal experiences are bullshit.

Is that correct?

I haven't read all of this thread so I'm not sure if you've stated what your personal experiences are. But if something strange or unexplainable (is that a word?) has happened to you and as a result you have invented an explanation with no sound logical basis then I would say that your explanation is likely to be wrong. I'm not saying your experience is wrong but your interpretation may well be.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Correct. I don't disagree with that at all.

For much that we can't understand, it's a case that we don't understand them yet. Other things we may never understand.

I do believe though, that the onus is on the individual to provide evidence for a theory they propose (be that a supernatural explanation or a "scientific" one, for want of a better word) rather than raise it as a "belief" and insist others have to disprove them. I also believe it's pretty foolish believe as such if you don't have any evidence...

Yes that's fine. My personal beliefs are purely based on my own personal experience so I don't need any other evidence. But I fully appreciate others without those experiences would.

The problem with these discussions is that all religions/beliefs/faiths all get bundled together. The last time we had this I seemed to get included on the side of some guy who was spouting off about famines being the wrath of God etc and how abortions were wrong etc etc etc.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I haven't read all of this thread so I'm not sure if you've stated what your personal experiences are. But if something strange or unexplainable (is that a word?) has happened to you and as a result you have invented an explanation with no sound logical basis then I would say that your explanation is likely to be wrong. I'm not saying your experience is wrong but your interpretation may well be.

What the ????

I was going to let this drop but find I can't.

So you must be an expert in ....everything I suppose.

So , consciousness. As an obvious expert, for how many years have you been regularly meditating?

Last edited:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
lol........yours are so smelly they highly probable to contain some level of sentience. ;-)

so, you see no difference between a cosmic body that gives life with light, and excerts massive ammounts of prana......constantly.........and your M&S timmy towlings?

wow......that for me, is very interesting.

I meant just after they're washed. Obviously they have a consciousness after a few weeks of wear!!

In terms of the likelihood of either the Sun or my socks have a consciousness, no I don't see a big difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here