Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tyrone Mings Quick Out Of The Traps......

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
It happened to me in cricket. We call it the Yips. It occurred in a match in May 1998. I remember the day. I have only bowled an handful of overs since. I may try to bowl a couple of overs in a game every two or three years. It's pointless and I only do it when there is nothing on the game because I can barely land the ball.

Up until that point I had been the most successful bowler in the club that decade. But I ran in and lost my release on the ball and it landed in front of me. That was it, gone.

I've never worked it out. When I try to bowl the ball my brain goes to mush and all I can think of is the point of release. A part of my brain that wasn't in play before suddenly starts interfering. I did some research and found out that some cricket careers have been ruined by it. So the same would apply in other sports.

I just don't get why some folk issue judgements without thinking or asking questions. I don't get asked anymore why I don't bowl in games and I know some folk are just bemused by it. But thankfully I wasn't a professional so I could slip away without Twitter setting its diseased primates on me.

It's common amongst golfers, and Steven Hendry the snooker player said he suffered from the yips for 10 years

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yip... the yips applies,forced to abandon the sport.

Your research may have already led you to the England cricket team sports psychologist Dr Mark Bawden's paper published in the Journal of Sports Science. If not here's the link....

https://www.researchgate.net/public...rsonal_experience_of_the_'yips'_in_cricketers

Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I do not get all this sudden support and praise for Tyrone Mings.
What he said was
“When 90-95 per cent of your country are having doubts over you, it’s very difficult to stop this intruding on your own thoughts.”

OK . He came to doubt himself because of negative comments... Perhaps he had been read North Stand Chat . At the time everyone was saying that he should not be selected and Dunk and others would do better .
Footballers have to live with criticism. That’s a fact. If you cannot shrug it off then perhaps you need a new career.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
What he said was
“When 90-95 per cent of your country are having doubts over you, it’s very difficult to stop this intruding on your own thoughts.”

OK . He came to doubt himself because of negative comments... Perhaps he had been read North Stand Chat . At the time everyone was saying that he should not be selected and Dunk and others would do better .
Footballers have to live with criticism. That’s a fact. If you cannot shrug it off then perhaps you need a new career.

We’re all different.

Some can live with it, some can’t.
Some can talk about it, some can’t.

Live and let live.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
What he said was

He did ‘shrug it off’ though. He continued to play and performed well in the games he was involved with. Fair play to him.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What he said was

Or

You find another way to deal with it while continuing your (presumable much loved) career.

Which he's done.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
This is so key.

I don't get how so many people still don't get this.

Because some people equate having more money with having a greater opportunity to be happy.
You don’t have to worry about stuff like sleeping on the streets, or not having enough cash to feed your family, for example.
Pretty reasonable, I’d say.
Although that’s not to say money makes you immune from depression.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
... in this post-Biles era.

'Mental Health' set to replace VAR as the EPL issue of the upcoming season.

Didn't it used to be called what it was? IE the pressure that naturally comes with having to perform at the level of 'elite' sport that pays your million quid wage?

Like Biles, maybe the simple solution is just to switch off your twitter feed?

Yeah, that'll do it... :dunce:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He did ‘shrug it off’ though. He continued to play and performed well in the games he was involved with. Fair play to him.

Come on lads we've all had a drink, let's not say anything we'll regret in the morning.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Mings was getting negative comments because he hasn't been good enough for Villa. He prob knew he wasn't up to it too and the negative comments online just fueled the doubt already in his mind. Seems as simple as that. Move on

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
The double standards on this thread are quite spectacular really...

Either you believe mental health is a real issue for some people or you don't, you can't pick and choose who you believe based on what you think you know about them.

In the case of Mings not one of us knows what demons he has in his head or what he has had to deal with growing up!

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Putting the Mings issue aside, it is extraordinary to me that there still exists the attitude of “they have money, they can’t be depressed”.

It’s a sentiment I remember being echoed when I was growing up. And we still haven’t, collectively learned how dangerously untrue it is. Just a casual look through celebrity culture down the years and you’ll find many folk who had celebrity, lifestyle, lots of money… and they were miserable, in some cases suicidal.

We all want more money don’t we. But it doesn’t solve all problems.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You don’t have to worry about stuff like sleeping on the streets, or not having enough cash to feed your family, for example.
Pretty reasonable, I’d say.
Although that’s not to say money makes you immune from depression.

I think there a quite a few levels of money between sleeping on the streets and multi-millionaire. I don't think that's what people are talking about.

Yes it gives you more opportunities, but at no point does it stop you being a human being.

I remember someone saying something about a top Prem footballer along the lines of "How can he be tired, he earns £XXX,XXX a week!"

That ^^^ is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Putting the Mings issue aside, it is extraordinary to me that there still exists the attitude of “they have money, they can’t be depressed”.

It’s a sentiment I remember being echoed when I was growing up. And we still haven’t, collectively learned how dangerously untrue it is. Just a casual look through celebrity culture down the years and you’ll find many folk who had celebrity, lifestyle, lots of money… and they were miserable, in some cases suicidal.

We all want more money don’t we. But it doesn’t solve all problems.

It's SO dumb. And I know plenty of people (who have a lot more money than they think they do, mostly) who subscribe to it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The one thing money can do, only if the sufferer is minded to, is to facilitate immediate private psychiatric or clinical psychological help.

That was our temporary solution last year, with huge NHS waiting times exacerbated by the Lockdowns. Very expensive, very worth it.

A wealthy friend has done the same with a Harley Street shrink helping his daughter in her 20’s.

Pro sportsmen and pop stars I know follow the same route. Just read Peter Hook’s mammoth second autobio - The Priory saved him.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What he said was

True, Footballers have to live with criticisms, doesn't mean they can't ever explain to anyone how it affects their life though, or deserve to be accused of playing the MH card if they say it contributed to poor performances.
You can't shrug off a hamstring injury, takes a bit of time and care to build up the strength. You can't just shrug off a crisis of confidence, it takes a bit of time and care to build up the strength, you don't have to look for a new career necessarily, but yes, if it keeps happening, maybe you do.

The support and praise is just for being open and honest that he needed help to get his confidence back. It will help others who suffer a crisis of confidence in whatever field to know it can happen to anyone and that asking for help isn't anything to be ashamed of.

He would not have had to have read NSC, he was getting it everywhere, and it was fair, he wasn't showing us why he was in the team, but just as a fair tackle can sometimes cause an injury, fair comment can still do damage.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Only regret I've got about this thread is not starting it 48 hours earlier. EPL starlets were clearly going to be falling over themselves to follow the trend, just as soon as Biles made it acceptable to their agents and media handlers to do so. Expect far more of the same BS to follow as soon as the little multi-millionaire darlings feel a little bit picked on. Court social media? Get social media. Boo f*cking hoo
Couldn't agree with you more.
Seems it's the new trend now sadly.
All that money and fame and still not happy.
Pack your job in take your millions and turn off Social Media forever, f**king snowflakes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Couldn't agree with you more.
Seems it's the new trend now sadly.
All that money and fame and still not happy.
Pack your job in take your millions and turn off Social Media forever, f**king snowflakes

Thats right, depression, mental illness, pressure and suicide were all invented by Simone Biles and it seems everyone now wants a bit of it.
I tried to call The Samaritans this morning, they were engaged.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I'm sorry but as many have pointed out engagement with social media does have a big part to play. So many people in the public eye or as an attempt to promote themselves use but conveniently forget that ' if you buy the ticket make sure you can handle the ride ". That adage in no way condones extremes of abuse such a racist or threats of violence but the reality is you cannot expect everyone to blow smoke up your ass! If you choose to engage make sure you have the mental resilience you cope with the negative stuff.

Jessie Nelson formerly of Little Mix is a classic example. She goes as far as having a documentary about her mental health struggles exacerbated by negative social media and yet 5 mins later she's all over it again with provocative photos inviting people to say how gorgeous she is.

I'm also not totally convinced by the Sky news interview given by Grealish's girlfriend about alleged death treats. I'm not saying she's lying and it's appalling but just take a look at her demeanour and mannerisms in the interview. Is she really shocked and upset? My spin on it is that it's media coverage for her and the subtext is almost a ' fk you girlies I'm seeing the gorgeous multi millionaire footballer and you can lump it you jealous trolls '.

Make your mind up here :

http://news.sky.com/story/england-f...media-death-threats-during-euro-2020-12371241

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
That has to be a wind-up!?
Not it's not as the post above this one explains in a better way.
They earn millions, have everything they want and are Molly coddled in every way but the minute something goes wrong in their lives they are bleating to the media.
I'm sick of it and if that upsets some people on here then sorry but get over it.
Their are Veterans taking their lives everyday but where is the public outcry and sympathy for them ?????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here