Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Two players taking the same corner?

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Corners working well last few games[emoji106]

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Hardly. County League teams were doing that in the 80’s.

You work it short if only one defender comes out, go long if you pull a second out.

Nothing innovative about this at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assure you, I was well and truly taking the piss. I think it's another example of our manager wanting to be seen to be a football genius, despite the results, performances and reality.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I assure you, I was well and truly taking the piss. I think it's another example of our manager wanting to be seen to be a football genius, despite the results, performances and reality.

Is that why a lot of other managers do it as well? To pretend to be smart, all of them desperately trying to hide the fact that mr Badger Boy is the one and only out there with any football knowledge?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Is that why a lot of other managers do it as well? To pretend to be smart

Yes. The managers totally up themselves are using this "ploy". The best teams do not do it, because they'd prefer to be successful at using corners rather than seeming to be some kind of visionary.

all of them desperately trying to hide the fact that mr Badger Boy is the one and only out there with any football knowledge?

This is where you lose me. Everyone has football "knowledge". Everyone has their ideas and beliefs and opinions and everyone has the right to express them. Potter has built his career in football, that wasn't my path. But does that mean I can't come on an internet forum designed for the expression of opinions and views? Or should I not, because they don't comply with your opinions and those of a man you choose to blindly believe in, despite his obvious shortcomings?

I was here before Potter and I'll be here long after, Universe willing. He's just another chapter in our history and one we'll soon forget.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The only fly in that ointment is that the corners have been markedly better and more productive since the change.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes. The managers totally up themselves are using this "ploy". The best teams do not do it, because they'd prefer to be successful at using corners rather than seeming to be some kind of visionary.

This is where you lose me. Everyone has football "knowledge". Everyone has their ideas and beliefs and opinions and everyone has the right to express them. Potter has built his career in football, that wasn't my path. But does that mean I can't come on an internet forum designed for the expression of opinions and views? Or should I not, because they don't comply with your opinions and those of a man you choose to blindly believe in, despite his obvious shortcomings?

I was here before Potter and I'll be here long after, Universe willing. He's just another chapter in our history and one we'll soon forget.

Here is the difference... a lot of us speculate in why or how a manager is trying to do something, and if its the right thing to do. You on the other hand are quick to call out things as idiotic or - in this case - vanity, just because you yourself wouldnt do the same thing. As you see it the only reason why Potter would do this is because "he is a moron" or "he pretends to be clever". I suppose you thought Pep was an idiot yesterday as well, for playing Sterling in the wrong role? Because in your anal way of seeing things there is only one way of doing it. A corner can only be taken in one way. A player can only be playing in one position. There is only one viable formation in football.

No shit neither CH or GP or any other human being alive will live up to your brilliance. They are all frauds, you are the only person who know how to do things: the only way of doing it. Its laughable. Some on here are complaining, others moaning, some are licking, some praising, some are debating and some are yelling. But the only one pretending to be clever and know all the solutions is you. Since all the knowledge and all the answers are 100% obvious and evident for you, I suggest you go into coaching. Its well paid and someone never doubting and always dead-certain about that he knows everything better than all the managers out there would obviously be a great catch for any football club in the world.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The only fly in that ointment is that the corners have been markedly better and more productive since the change.

As if that's the reason why. The Dunk goal at West Ham had very little to do with the delivery. It was a missed header at the front post which allowed the ball to get through, Dunk it very well. The goal against Wolves was a better delivery, no doubt. Let's hope it continues, but I think corners are effective if the delivery is good. There's no reason to have two players in position to take it. Unless you mix up who actually does - if March is taking it whatever happens, why have the other person standing there?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Here is the difference... a lot of us speculate in why or how a manager is trying to do something, and if its the right thing to do. You on the other hand are quick to call out things as idiotic or - in this case - vanity, just because you yourself wouldnt do the same thing. As you see it the only reason why Potter would do this is because "he is a moron" or "he pretends to be clever". I suppose you thought Pep was an idiot yesterday as well, for playing Sterling in the wrong role? Because in your anal way of seeing things there is only one way of doing it. A corner can only be taken in one way. A player can only be playing in one position. There is only one viable formation in football.

No shit neither CH or GP or any other human being alive will live up to your brilliance. They are all frauds, you are the only person who know how to do things: the only way of doing it. Its laughable. Some on here are complaining, others moaning, some are licking, some praising, some are debating and some are yelling. But the only one pretending to be clever and know all the solutions is you. Since all the knowledge and all the answers are 100% obvious and evident for you, I suggest you go into coaching. Its well paid and someone never doubting and always dead-certain about that he knows everything better than all the managers out there would obviously be a great catch for any football club in the world.

That's nonsense. It's your opinion, but it's because I don't blindly believe in a man you've decided is amazing. But is proving himself not to be. I'll keep sharing my opinions, you can keep quoting me. It's how this place is supposed to work.

All the time what Potter does fails, I'll keep criticising him. In the grand scheme of the world, he'll be gone soon enough.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
Didn't the ex-Wolves 'keeper on Sky explain why this is a useful ploy and can be difficult to defend against? Rather than potentially pulling a defender out (traditional short corner) it is more that it is harder to know if the ball is in-swinging or out-swinging and therefore simply harder to defend the runs of the attacking players - apologies if this has been highlighted elsewhere, couldn't see it. Whilst we are talking of corners, I thought Zequiri's little run toward the back post created a great pocket of space for Dunk to attack..

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Didn't the ex-Wolves 'keeper on Sky explain why this is a useful ploy and can be difficult to defend against? Rather than potentially pulling a defender out (traditional short corner) it is more that it is harder to know if the ball is in-swinging or out-swinging and therefore simply harder to defend the runs of the attacking players - apologies if this has been highlighted elsewhere, couldn't see it. Whilst we are talking of corners, I thought Zequiri's little run toward the back post created a great pocket of space for Dunk to attack..

Plus Zeqiri's sly little pull back of the player infront of him who was then slow to challenge Dunk.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

You whooshed me then - apologies [emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
That's nonsense. It's your opinion, but it's because I don't blindly believe in a man you've decided is amazing. But is proving himself not to be. I'll keep sharing my opinions, you can keep quoting me. It's how this place is supposed to work.

All the time what Potter does fails, I'll keep criticising him. In the grand scheme of the world, he'll be gone soon enough.

But since he’s changed the corner routine we have scored two goals from corners, something we hadn’t done all season. So you will concede that on this particular point Potter has got it right?

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
What's that all about then? definitely looks like something new off the training ground, but I can't really see how it creates any confusion or gives us an advantage. Just seems like a waste of a man to me ???

just get it in the box ffs!

I tell you - this drives me round the bend what a waste of one player

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
I tell you - this drives me round the bend what a waste of one player

And yet despite this, our corners have become much better. It's almost like it's a plan than it is working but obviously we should stop because a number of people on here don't understand why it is a good idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here