Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Two players taking the same corner?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Fulham broke very quickly after several of our corners and at time thought one of our players at corner flag would have been better to have been used to stop breakaway

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think it matter less who takes it, but there has to be an element of uncertainty if you have two out there, surely that's the point of it?

Every corner we had it was obvious who was taking it. We need more mystery and variety

I think we had 8 or more corners, I kept thinking maybe they will take a short one this time.
The Fulham keeper enjoyed them.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It was an absolute mystery to me why Mac Allister didn’t take a single set piece tonight. Gross, March and Trossard’s deliveries were so predictable and easy to defend and from what I’ve seen so far, Mac is better than all of them from dead hall situations anyway. Total waste of time tonight.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Yes the two players at the corner was driving me mad, one less in the box, and when the cross was intercepted by the defence meant we were light in defence and scrambling back. Don’t understand it at all.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
It was an absolute mystery to me why Mac Allister didn’t take a single set piece tonight. Gross, March and Trossard’s deliveries were so predictable and easy to defend and from what I’ve seen so far, Mac is better than all of them from dead hall situations anyway. Total waste of time tonight.

Every set piece was shite tonight. Surely it’s not asking too much for a professional footballer to take a set piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Yes the two players at the corner was driving me mad, one less in the box, and when the cross was intercepted by the defence meant we were light in defence and scrambling back. Don’t understand it at all.

It takes a defender out of the box too to defend a potential short one.

Jul 20, 2003
This bullshit about putting doubt in the defender's if it's an inny or an outy is bullshit. When the 'dummy' player looks like they could have their hands in their pockets ... It's bullshit and it makes my piss boil. It's perfectly clear who's going to take it, beating the first man is a bonus and if they do Webster or Dunk will head it over. I

If it was a good idea other teams would do it .... Other managers will probably congratulate Potter and e courage him to carry on.

It's stupid.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
This bullshit about putting doubt in the defender's if it's an inny or an outy is bullshit. When the 'dummy' player looks like they could have their hands in their pockets ... It's bullshit and it makes my piss boil. It's perfectly clear who's going to take it, beating the first man is a bonus and if they do Webster or Dunk will head it over. I

If it was a good idea other teams would do it .... Other managers will probably congratulate Potter and e courage him to carry on.

It's stupid.

It's ****ing insane mate. :mad::mad::mad:

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
The Fulham keeper was very good at dealing with corners and set pieces. Best I’ve seen this season.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If they want to use it as a tactic to put the defenders ‘off guard’ so they don’t know it’s an inswinger or outs winger I suggest they place the ball a bit better.

Nearly every corner last night was obvious who was taking it because of the placement of the ball.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The Fulham keeper was very good at dealing with corners and set pieces. Best I’ve seen this season.

He's definitely one of the best keepers in the league.

I'd be very happy for us to try to buy him from PSG in the summer, but I hope Sanchez continues to impress saving us the £20m+ that Areola would cost.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Am I missing something here, why are people getting their knickers in a twist over two people taking a corner?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Am I missing something here, why are people getting their knickers in a twist over two people taking a corner?

Well, for those that don't like Potter it's another stick to beat him with. For me - it just seems pointless. It is clear who is going to take the corner - they put the ball down, and the ball is placed to suit them - so there is limited element of surprise. We lose a player on the edge of the box who can pick up and shoot from the second ball, and thirdly - late on in the game we are a man short to deal with any breakaway. But it's not the end of the world.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Well, for those that don't like Potter it's another stick to beat him with. For me - it just seems pointless. It is clear who is going to take the corner - they put the ball down, and the ball is placed to suit them - so there is limited element of surprise. We lose a player on the edge of the box who can pick up and shoot from the second ball, and thirdly - late on in the game we are a man short to deal with any breakaway. But it's not the end of the world.

I guess the world is made up of two kinds of people: those who think it's a stroke of tactical genius to voluntarily reduce your team to ten men at set pieces and those other, less special people :moo:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Yup - possibly two things:-

1) As others have pointed out it is bloody obvious which player will be taking the corner anyway; called every one last night. It's fooling nobody.

2) MacAllister's corner deliveries at the weekend were really good and challenging; I think they all beat the first defender.. Best I've seen for a while. So last night he was removed from corner taking duties for reasons unknown. So instead of challenging corners played in with pace we were mostly back to the high floaty corners that made it easy for the defenders and a very good keeper..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here