Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Two players taking the same corner?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
For all of the taking away a defender argument, it seems to be taking a shorter less good defender out of the box, whereas we're losing one of our players who would be best placed to cross or shoot if the ball fell to him

Jul 20, 2003
If it is all about confusing the defence why not to the whole hog and have Dunk and Webster taking them?

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
You've not watched much football then? Allow me to explain. Player trots over towards corner-taker. Pulls defender with him. Corner-taker then has option of short or long corner. At no point does team voluntarily reduce itself to ten men. Simple enough for you? :shrug:

bit rude

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I was thinking exactly that when the camera panned to Trossard and March. Leo placed the ball and signalled to the players in the box. Whilst Solly waited just off camera.

hmmmmm great subterfuge!

....and on occasions if Solly had tried to take the corner he would’ve kicked the corner flag first.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
You've not watched much football then? Allow me to explain. Player trots over towards corner-taker. Pulls defender with him. Corner-taker then has option of short or long corner. At no point does team voluntarily reduce itself to ten men. Simple enough for you? :shrug:

How is that vastly different? The player that has trotted over is just as much out the way as the 'false' corner taker. You are making a big thing of the player being off the pitch when there is just a few yards difference between the two scenarios. Completely irrelevant difference. <insert insult here>

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
It is strange because as soon as ball is placed it is obvious who will take. Has anybody ever asked Potter what this is about. Not sure if you have to wait for whistle but never understand why such a delay in taking enabling all defenders to get in place

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
What's that all about then? definitely looks like something new off the training ground, but I can't really see how it creates any confusion or gives us an advantage. Just seems like a waste of a man to me ???

just get it in the box ffs!

The intention is to keep the defence guessing. One is left footed and the other right which means it could be an in swinging our out swinging ball.

Problem is it's too easy to tell who is taking the corner by where the ball is placed and the one not taking the corner just stands there like a plum instead of looking like they might take it.

And yes as it's not working it's very annoying. I'd rather they take a short corner and work the ball in for a shot... to be wasted.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Corners, two players

Why?

Every corner you can see, without doubt, who will take it, so why do we do it?

Having played around 700+ matches, yes, I'm a old boy, once you've worked out the zone or person you're marking, then in swinger or out swinger makes very little difference.

Am I really missing something here, it just seems like the sort of drill your Level 1 coach brings back from the latest FA Course, which you all do for a few games before you question it's validity.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why?

Every corner you can see, without doubt, who will take it, so why do we do it?

Having played around 700+ matches, yes, I'm a old boy, once you've worked out the zone or person you're marking, then in swinger or out swinger makes very little difference.

Am I really missing something here, it just seems like the sort of drill your Level 1 coach brings back from the latest FA Course, which you all do for a few games before you question it's validity.

I guarantee you with 110% certainty that every single coach & analyst in the Premier League scout set pieces and if they are generally swinging in or out and make major or minor adjustments based on that information.

If the "two corner takers" thing is good or not is a different question - some think it is efficient, some think its not. But in-swinging and out-swinging is seen as relevant information by every single coach on that level, I promise you that. The answer to your "am I missing something here" is "yes, the last 30 years".

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I guarantee you with 110% certainty that every single coach & analyst in the Premier League scout set pieces and if they are generally swinging in or out and make major or minor adjustments based on that information.

If the "two corner takers" thing is good or not is a different question - some think it is efficient, some think its not. But in-swinging and out-swinging is seen as relevant information by every single coach on that level, I promise you that. The answer to your "am I missing something here" is "yes, the last 30 years".

Without respect, complete b********, once you can see who is taking the bloody corner you apply the drill. As the ball comes across it isn't a complete bloody surprise how it's getting there.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Without respect, complete b********, once you can see who is taking the bloody corner you apply the drill. As the ball comes across it isn't a complete bloody surprise how it's getting there.

I do realise that you did not do this in the Arundel Park Football League 1963-1973, but things have happened since.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I may have missed this in what is becoming a hugely long thread, by why are so many people getting so heated up by two people behind the ball for a corner, but don't raise so much as an eyebrow when the same thing happens 10 yards outside and to the side of the penalty box for a free kick?

Surely it's the same psychology / doubt / deception at play? It might swing in, it might swing out?

It seems an almost universal system for those kind of free-kick locations, with barely a mention - yet swing the location round 45 degrees, place the ball at the corner flag, and it seems to create the same kind of emotions as to whether you put the milk or tea in a cup first, whether you place the cream or jam on the scone first, whether we should have stayed in or / left the EU (trying to aboid the B****t word here), whether we should have a Monarchy, or [insert your most passionately-held opinions here]

:shrug:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I may have missed this in what is becoming a hugely long thread, by why are so many people getting so heated up by two people behind the ball for a corner, but don't raise so much as an eyebrow when the same thing happens 10 yards outside and to the side of the penalty box for a free kick?

Surely it's the same psychology / doubt / deception at play? It might swing in, it might swing out?

I know it’s a long thread but everything you have asked has been discussed.
I’m not sure ‘so many ‘ people are getting heated up ( go to the political threads for this :) ) it’s just a discussion about corners.

As mentioned we had at least 8 corners against Fulham, in your honest opinion did any of these corners look impressive?
Also they all looked pretty much the same last night, with no end result. We did change to Gross taking them, but also mentioned in recent posts, MacAllister looked good taking corners on Saturday but didn’t take one against Fulham.
With so many corners, I did think maybe they will try a short one this time.....we did score from this against West Ham.

Free kicks- 2 or even more players have been lining up behind the ball since year dot, we are used to seeing this.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I know it’s a long thread but everything you have asked has been discussed.
I’m not sure ‘so many ‘ people are getting heated up ( go to the political threads for this :) ) it’s just a discussion about corners.

As mentioned we had at least 8 corners against Fulham, in your honest opinion did any of these corners look impressive?
Also they all looked pretty much the same last night, with no end result. We did change to Gross taking them, but also mentioned in recent posts, MacAllister looked good taking corners on Saturday but didn’t take one against Fulham.
With so many corners, I did think maybe they will try a short one this time.....we did score from this against West Ham.

Free kicks- 2 or even more players have been lining up behind the ball since year dot, we are used to seeing this.

Thanks for the info - I have dipped in and out of the thread, but clearly missed that these points had been discussed - my apologies.

And I try really hard to stay a long, long way away from the political threads :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Thanks for the info - I have dipped in and out of the thread, but clearly missed that these points had been discussed - my apologies.

And I try really hard to stay a long, long way away from the political threads :)

It is a long thread so I can understand you not reading it all, I’m guilty of repeating myself a few times :)

If we had actually scored from a corner against Fulham, the recent posts would be from those that think it’s a good idea having 2 players telling the others they are wrong. :) :whistle:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here