Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV licence

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
London Calling said:
What will you lot moan about paying for next?

The BBC is the envy of the world.

Sky isn't.

Its a great service and supplies a great deal of material to the other indistries.

It also set the standards for media training and I believ trains more people in Broadcasting than any other station.

It therefore helps to support the quality of other services.

£120 isn't much, just pay and shut the :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: up.

LC
I agree with the sentiments in this post but you will be shocked to know that the BBC is NOT the envy of the world. Right wing Blogs constantly berate the BBC for being biased against the US, Bush, Capitilism, Pro europe etc. It is also accused of inaccurate reporting. I was amazed to pick this up when earlier this year I was in the US and now back here see these critics are still very active on various blogsites.
Shattered my illusions. Another great British icon falls. I still love Auntie though.

tedebear said:
yep - I understand all that - what I disagree with is that the license is a legal requirement and you have no choice about having to acquire one at cost....

of course you have a choice

if you don't want to pay, don't - no one's forcing you to watch tv.

but if you do want to use your tv set, then yiou need a licence to do so legally.

beorhthelm said:
well theres many options i can think of: ADSL, wireless, top-up cards (which could bedone today). Given a 15 year time frame these could easily be implemented and there's bound to be new technologies on the horizon.

well thats a relief then. All i have to do is wait for a new technology to turn up........................................
believe me its more tricky than that.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
See this discussion has progressed precisely nowhere since my last post.

Of course, it seems to me that people only started moaning about the Licence fee after Sky bought the TV rights for football and started charging an arm and leg for mugs to watch it - lucky for Sky they did as they risked everything on that venture. Of course the mugs are annoyed about having to pay for licence to watch telly, and then pay again for content...., but that isn't the Beebs fault.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Storer68 said:
well thats a relief then. All i have to do is wait for a new technology to turn up........................................
believe me its more tricky than that.

eh? youve already pointed out Sky do it through the telephone. 90% odd of houses have a phone so you've only got to solve the remainder. *today* you could deploy a top-up card system, or pay by mobile phone. My point about future technology was merely that something else that makes it even easier, like data over power lines.

Not only is it not tricky, its only the will that is lacking.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I would normally defend the licence fee. I for one fully agree with the way British television is funded, and I feel due to this the public are allowed to see a wide range of programming.

But, i feel I shoud retract my feelings. Especially after watching the first two on Fame Acadmey. :nono:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Storer68 said:
of course you have a choice

if you don't want to pay, don't - no one's forcing you to watch tv.

correction - no ones forcing me to watch the BBC - but I have to pay for it!

seems to me its like having a computer and being charged because you have access to a certain site - whether or not you actually use it?? would you agree to that if the government tried it on?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here