Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV licence

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I can't help but see the hand of Murdoch behind the campaign to abolish the licence fee. Sky would greatly benefit from a weakened public broadcaster.

There was a debate on breakfast news earlier in the week. The person speaking against the license fee came from The Times who were apparently campigning to abolish the license fee. His newspapers are obviously as impartial as jis american news channels.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
fatbadger said:
I don't understand those who pay loads of money for a completely shit channel like Sky complaining about the TV licence, which pays for one of the best TV channels in the world. Bizarre.

You've really hit on one of my biggest bug bears of all time there. Why on earth should I have to pay a licence fee, simply because I have a television set, and therefore have the capability to watch BBC.

People have the capability to go to the opera, the theatre, the cinema, football even - but they don't have to pay for it if they don't go.

You have the choice not to watch SKY/ITV/C4 etc just as I have the choice not to watch BBC. Yet, I have to pay for the privalege of chosing not to watch something.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Can I just pendantically poiunt out that the licence has nothing to do with the financing of the BBC.

Yes tohe BBC is paid the same amount of money that is raised from the licenceand is responsible for the fee collection but the licence merely permits you to legally receive all broadcast television services.

and that includes everything - digital, analogue, satellite, terrestrial, and cable.

By all means don't pay for one - you don't have to - but just don't connect your TV to a device that can receive broadcast televison signals

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Pasty
should you still have to pay for the police or ambulance services even if you don't use them?
I've never been on the dole, can i claim that money back every month?

nomad

Jan 3, 2005
all over the place
Bluejuice said:
I fear its days are numbered. Whilst I have been behind the licence fee for years now I am starting to lose patience with the BBC over their constant overpromotion of their digital services which I CAN'T RECEIVE.

You will be able to receive it soon - and when you can receive it we will all have to go digital as the terrestrial switch off happens in 5 years or so....

promotion for the digitial stuff has to happen in oredre to make people change now before they can't receive it at all

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Dear pasty, every time I purchase something advertised on channel 5 I am in effect forced to pay for a channel i don't watch.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Curious Orange said:
What channel do you watch the cup final on?

If I watch it, I watch it on BBC1 - because I am forced into having a licence fee so can. What I would deem fairer is a choice.

keaton said:

Pasty
should you still have to pay for the police or ambulance services even if you don't use them?
I've never been on the dole, can i claim that money back every month?

A riduculous argument. They are essential services that benefit everyone in the country. Watching BBC doesn't. And, how can you possibly say you have never used the police? Is there no crime where you live simply because everyone is so nice? Or could it possibly because the police exist?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Does anybody have trouble picking up a decent signal? With or without a roof aerial?

My aerial fell off the roof, and the signal is so pox it is not worth getting. I could reconnect it, but it does not seem worth the bother somehow.

The reception at my previous address was never naff. Have the BBC altered their transmission somehow over the recent years?

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Voroshilov said:
Dear pasty, every time I purchase something advertised on channel 5 I am in effect forced to pay for a channel i don't watch.

Thank you for helping me make my point. You have a choice of whether or not to buy the product. If you feel that stongly, then don't buy it.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
pasty said:
Thank you for helping me make my point. You have a choice of whether or not to buy the product. If you feel that stongly, then don't buy it.

No I don't have a choice. I have no input in where or how much they advertise. Effectively it acts as a sales tax which goes to provide the type of low quality programming you obviously enjoy.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
nomad said:
You will be able to receive it soon - and when you can receive it we will all have to go digital as the terrestrial switch off happens in 5 years or so....

Funny, the BBC don't seem to think so. When I quizzed them on this they apologised and said there were no plans to broadcast in my area and suggested I get sky or cable, I kid you not.

I still don't have channel 5 and that must be about ten years old

pasty said:
You've really hit on one of my biggest bug bears of all time there. Why on earth should I have to pay a licence fee, simply because I have a television set, and therefore have the capability to watch BBC.

People have the capability to go to the opera, the theatre, the cinema, football even - but they don't have to pay for it if they don't go.

You have the choice not to watch SKY/ITV/C4 etc just as I have the choice not to watch BBC. Yet, I have to pay for the privalege of chosing not to watch something.

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

We all have the choice NOT to watch something - but the licence fee entitles you to receive them. No one is forcing you to take a licence but if you want to receive broadcast tv signals legally, then you need to pay for the privilege.

and you would still need a licence to watch nothing but pay TV services like Sky because they are broadcast television services.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Voroshilov said:
No I don't have a choice. I have no input in where or how much they advertise. Effectively it acts as a sales tax which goes to provide the type of low quality programming you obviously enjoy.

AAGGHH!!!

*bangs head against brick wall*

You have a choice of whether or not to buy the product.

I do not have a choice of whether or not to buy a tv licence IRRESPECTIVE of if I want BBC's services.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
pasty said:
AAGGHH!!!

*bangs head against brick wall*

You have a choice of whether or not to buy the product.

I do not have a choice of whether or not to buy a tv licence IRRESPECTIVE of if I want BBC's services.

:shootself

Are you being wilfully thick, or do you just not bother to think around the subject.

I do not know every product advertised on tv channels i don't watch. Some of the price of every product i purchase goes on marketing costs. Some of those marketing costs will be tv advertising. I therefore do not have a choice about funding Granada channel for idiots or whatever it is you watch on the chav-box.

Please do not let your inherent tight-fistedness cloud your understanding

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I find the tv license a dreadful nanny state tax.....

why if I have a box in my living room that has a glass bulb in it hooked up to an aerial do to have to pay this tax??

what if I never watch a BBC program?? what if I only use my sky box?

This is a tax to line the pockets of the bbc - and ensure their existance.....

I never asked to watch it so why should I pay?? I am quite happy to go without any bbc channels if I don't have to pay the tax!!

However I will gladly pay my taxes for the ambulance / police services as I would like to be able to use them when I need!!

Theres the difference!!

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
tedebear said:
I find the tv license a dreadful nanny state tax.....

why if I have a box in my living room that has a glass bulb in it hooked up to an aerial do to have to pay this tax??

what if I never watch a BBC program?? what if I only use my sky box?

This is a tax to line the pockets of the bbc - and ensure their existance.....

I never asked to watch it so why should I pay?? I am quite happy to go without any bbc channels if I don't have to pay the tax!!

However I will gladly pay my taxes for the ambulance / police services as I would like to be able to use them when I need!!

Theres the difference!!

Thank you tedebear for putting it across so much more eloquently.
:clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here