Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TV licence

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
tedebear said:
I find the tv license a dreadful nanny state tax.....

why if I have a box in my living room that has a glass bulb in it hooked up to an aerial do to have to pay this tax??

what if I never watch a BBC program?? what if I only use my sky box?

This is a tax to line the pockets of the bbc - and ensure their existance.....

I never asked to watch it so why should I pay?? I am quite happy to go without any bbc channels if I don't have to pay the tax!!

However I will gladly pay my taxes for the ambulance / police services as I would like to be able to use them when I need!!

Theres the difference!!

Another selfish rant. Grow up, our taxes go to pay for things we personally don't agree with or beneft from. Get over it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
At least Microsoft do not take you to Court for using a different system on a computer. Even Bill Gates does not force his near monopoly by sending around spies in detector vans.

Windows might be a necessity, but the BBC is only a desirable option.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Voroshilov said:
Another selfish rant. Grow up, our taxes go to pay for things we personally don't agree with or beneft from. Get over it.

That's harsh

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
tedebear said:
I find the tv license a dreadful nanny state tax.....

why if I have a box in my living room that has a glass bulb in it hooked up to an aerial do to have to pay this tax??

what if I never watch a BBC program?? what if I only use my sky box?

This is a tax to line the pockets of the bbc - and ensure their existance.....

I never asked to watch it so why should I pay?? I am quite happy to go without any bbc channels if I don't have to pay the tax!!

However I will gladly pay my taxes for the ambulance / police services as I would like to be able to use them when I need!!

Theres the difference!!

And I don't like having my viewing pleasure interrupted by advertising.

I know lets have a compromise, we'll abolish both the TV Licence and Ad breaks. We'll pay for all TV by subscription....., and then moan about the exhorbitant cost of it!!!

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Voroshilov said:

So you never moan about the taxes you pay? ever?

Do taxes affect the way you vote? they do me! Tax is something we all should be able to have a say in - I believe my taxes should go to social services which I/my family and community will need - not to fund something which promotes sitting on your bum in front of a box being a couch potato?

Selfish you say? no - its an educated opinion to which I'm entitled...

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
tedebear said:
So you never moan about the taxes you pay? ever?

Do taxes affect the way you vote? they do me! Tax is something we all should be able to have a say in - I believe my taxes should go to social services which I/my family and community will need - not to fund something which promotes sitting on your bum in front of a box being a couch potato?

Of course they effect how I vote. I vote for parties that will use the tax system to help the poorest and most vunerable members of society and also will most enrich our cultural experience.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Curious Orange said:
And I don't like having my viewing pleasure interrupted by advertising.

I know lets have a compromise, we'll abolish both the TV Licence and Ad breaks. We'll pay for all TV by subscription....., and then moan about the exhorbitant cost of it!!!

A TV Licence system is an anachronism, but a subscription service would probably cost more!

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Voroshilov said:
Of course they effect how I vote. I vote for parties that will use the tax system to help the poorest and most vunerable members of society and also will most enrich our cultural experience.

excellent - so paying tax for a device to ensure people sit on their bums in front of an illuminated box is a worthwhile tax??

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
tedebear said:
I believe my taxes should go to social services which I/my family and community will need - not to fund something which promotes sitting on your bum in front of a box being a couch potato?

As you are a colonial ;) I'll assume you'll never have had the pleasure of sitting through any of the schools programming that is shown on BBC2 (and Channel 4 - also a public service broadcaster)? Do you think schools programming would get an airtime in a completely commercial arena? Is this something you wouldn't consider worthy of spending any of your money on?

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
colonial - pah ;)

Does a school pay a tv license?? just asking as I believe this is a justifiable reason to pay - if it is used - my arguement is that many people dont!

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I have no objection with the TV licence.

What I DO object to is paying for digital services that I cannot receive for free. What other industry could get away with that?

If I didn't pay the proportion of my TV licence that goes towards services I cannot receive I would go to prison.

THAT is just WRONG.

:angry:

Terrace Dandy

Banned
Mar 19, 2004
34064 Fighter Command said:
Scrap the TV licence and there'll be no SCR, no Harty's phone-in, no BBC On-Line, no commentary for Seagulls World subscribers, no South today, no FA Cup coverage, no 5 live or Sports X-tra, no Tottenham DVD & no 'Unofficial' Cup Final DVD !

And what about the people who hate sport altogether then? should they be forced to pay for something they don't watch?

Terrace Dandy

Banned
Mar 19, 2004
Voroshilov said:

Yes our taxes do go to things we don't agree with like, asylum seekers, funding illegal wars, etc.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
tedebear said:
excellent - so paying tax for a device to ensure people sit on their bums in front of an illuminated box is a worthwhile tax??

Yes because we're gonna sit on our bums any way watching tv, may as well get some quality and variety.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Voroshilov said:
Yes because we're gonna sit on our bums any way watching tv, may as well get some quality and variety.

I beg to differ - I grew up in a house without tv - my life has always been full of quality and variety by what my parents and now me go to see and do....the tv provides a very journalistic view of the world that can be far different from reality!!

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
tedebear said:
I beg to differ - I grew up in a house without tv - my life has always been full of quality and variety by what my parents and now me go to see and do....the tv provides a very journalistic view of the world that can be far different from reality!!

Well you don't seem that in touch with reality to me.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Voroshilov said:
Well you don't seem that in touch with reality to me.

excellent - you've formed an opinion of me over half a dozen postings on a chat site.....where is your reality now?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
In the end it all comes down to whom the Government thinks deserves the charter. The renewal of which comes up in 2006.

Greg Dyke's BBC tended to go for populist shows, to make sure them got the viewing figures and that their percentage didn't drop below the dreaded 33%.

After the Hutton report the BBC was (rightly or wrongly) ripped apart. Dyke went and Thompson entered the building. Thompson's approach was completly different. Instead of chasing viewers he deceided he would tick all the boxes for PSB (public service broadcasting).

This, whether you like it or not is a wise move. Thompson needed (and is still trying) to make the BBC distinctive. They can't just copy shows from ITV and C4! If they were to simply copy these other broadcasters then they wouldn't be distintive, and if they are not distintive why do they deserve the TV Licence money ahead of ITV or C4.

As things stand I imagine they will get the charter renewal, but I belive the Licence fee will not rise. The worst case scenario is that the Government deceide to give the momey to another company (most likely ITV) - This would almost kill the BBC completly.. even having the option of a percentage of the PSB money going to another company would be seriously crippling.

Never has the BBC had to walk the wire so carefully. Not since the days of Thatcher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here